It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened before the big bang?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by UnknownKnower

This is impossible to answer.

I like to call it prime origin.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

Then if thats the theory you accept what makes you any less likely to accept that a god created this universe?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Thank you so much for finally giving an answer that seems like you're thinking. I fully understand you and you seem to know exactly what I mean.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I think a better question to ask OP would be

What existed before anything existed?

if you follow a teleological argument at some point something must have existed that put everything into motion.

for some people that implies a designer, a "god" if you will

I think a interesting component of this argument is our human perception of time, we believe that everything has a beginning and a end. We are born at a certain time and we die at a point time and the universe must be the same.

it must have started at some point and it must end at some point.

but that is based on how we perceive time, if we exclude time a human construct from our psyche the the idea of something having always existed like the universe becomes more believable as does the physics supporting it.

for me I truly do believe in the existence of God that might be naive or ignorant to some but i think the idea of this little blue planet being all there is my universe is rather sad. I cannot look at all the wonder in the universe and not believe that something designed all of this.
edit on 11-6-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The gods hit return on their keyboard

But seriously, I tend to take the easy way out and say that both time and space are infinite. As another poster said, the big bang was a (very big) event within another universe. imho, of course.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Dude, I understand but you're not answering this question. Get down to the first time someone decided to sling particles together alright, imagine were at the beginning. How did that first existence exist?

Nobody can answer this for you... I doubt we will ever know the answer. Unless we make it to some far flung future and harness the power of entire galaxies to feed into some super AI quantum/temporal computer.

You can be sure the answer won't be god...

link   

Originally posted by UnknownKnower

Then if thats the theory you accept what makes you any less likely to accept that a god created this universe?
in my oppinion its obvious that there is a god

link   

What caused the first bang or the first crunch?

Maybe there was no first big crunch and no first big bang , maybe its an infinite loop with no beginning and no end , maybe that's how time is

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Whether or not you believe God created the universe or random matter colliding made the universe the question still exists - where did they come from and who made them? Somewhere something had to have a beginning.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Though I do not believe in god or anything I do like your answer very much.

I never thought about that, when you really think about it time is a human perception. Like you said if we take out that then we can be content with something simply having always existed.

BUT I still do not believe that regardless of whether or not we take the time aspect out of it. Well the thing is we cant take that out if it because time and space are one. Time is simply a measurement and it proves useful when studying the universe. We do know that the universe has expanded from a point smaller than an atom and thats where the big bang comes in.

How could it have simply always been there. Even if you dont think about it with time being part of the picture how can something have simply existed?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Time and space being infinite does seem to be the only possible answer but that just doesnt suffice for me. I feel like there must have been nothing and something had to have happened in that nothing to create something. If you understand what I mean. lol Its a hard concept to understand.

But also in my mind I don't believe my own answer because if nothing existed then, then nothing could exist now without something being able to exist before nothing did...

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownKnower
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Though I do not believe in god or anything I do like your answer very much.

I never thought about that, when you really think about it time is a human perception. Like you said if we take out that then we can be content with something simply having always existed.

BUT I still do not believe that regardless of whether or not we take the time aspect out of it. Well the thing is we cant take that out if it because time and space are one. Time is simply a measurement and it proves useful when studying the universe. We do know that the universe has expanded from a point smaller than an atom and thats where the big bang comes in.

How could it have simply always been there. Even if you dont think about it with time being part of the picture how can something have simply existed?
its always been thete because nothing is literally impossible,its impossible to create "nothing". If "nothing" is impossible then the something must have no beginning, phew

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Im not sure how to comprehend the thought of something always existing. It just seems as impossible as something being created from nothing. lol.

I dont believe there is a way to know so in a way this whole question is pointless.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Its not pointless if people think there is "nothing" after death.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I think Family Guy got it right

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I hate to rain on your parade but the big bang did not happen.

The universe's expansion is speeding up every day, since when does an explosion speed up the more time that passes? it dont, research inverse square law .It is logical to say energy is being ADDED every day to speed up expansion period.What form of energy and from where should be the discussion.
edit on 11-6-2013 by supergravity because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-6-2013 by supergravity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by supergravity

Interesting. I have heard this theory as well and it is supported but at what point did it originate?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
What happened before the big bang?....The earth was a virgin I suppose.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I think that the idea of nothing being after death is the most logical one. Heaven and hell are just moral stories in my opinion but this discussion does not need to go in that direction because it will stray off in a completely different path.

I do respect all beliefs but they are just not my own therefor I don't believe them. I like to think there is something after like reincarnation or something but this is a whole other thread I plan on starting so i would love to hear from you on that one.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

hahahah very nice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join