It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Tech Wristband Keeps You Cheerful

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

Discovery News is reporting an interesting new invention currently in the making. The W/Me device is a wristband that monitors your mood and sends instructions to your smartphone on how to change your mood.

Each band contains a medical-grade sensor the startup developed called the life spectrum analyzer. Phyode says the components include instrumentation amplifiers, a filter chain, a precision analog-to-digital converter, a patent-pending dry conduction electrode, and a digital signal processor. This allows the device to capture and analyze electrical impulses from special cells in the right atrium, an indicator for your body’s autonomic nervous system.

Measurements are taking by touching and holding the wristband. Then the results are transmitted to an app on the user’s phone. Your mental state gets mapped out showing where you are on the passive, excitable, pessimistic and anxious spectrum. When things are really off, the app’s virtual coach, a “fitness” whale named Attu, guides you through breathing rhythms.

I find this extremely interesting, and if the price was affordable I would purchase this. Reminds me somewhat of the bio-feedback process. IMO, anything that helps us better understand our moods and teaches us how to act appropriately is a good thing.

Your opinion?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Eh up love

The only downside is what If someone hacks into it and makes you annoyed all the time?
Also sometimes we need to feel down it makes the times when we are not much better

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Could just be a scam but I look forward to hearing more about this. Its hard to think things like this could actually work. However I am very open to the idea of it!

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Can't we just rig it so when I am in a foul mood it sends a picture of my middle finger to the smartphone of my boss?

It would be highly therapeutic.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
When you are in a bad mood, you don't need a smart ass phone telling you that you are in a bad mood. I suppose there would be some satisfaction in smashing the wristband and cell phone. Instant gratification like that can boost your mood a lot.

I find that stress can be relieved by deer hunting. When you see a buck you picture the face of everyone who pissed you off during the year on the deer as you shoot it. I usually shoot it about seven times....I feel great afterwards and I have lost the stress I carried around all year.

If you don't like killing animals, take it out on a plant. Get a baseball bat and attack a thistle or burdock bush. You can even hang a picture of the person on them. You need to beware though, They aren't defenseless plants, you may regret it later when your all itchy and scratching yourself. Burdock leaves can also cause hard breathing if crushed for some people

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I think it's a good idea... I've been known to be Hulkish when I'm angry.... I'd hate to buy it and have the bugger fritz out and go haywire when my blood pressure goes through the roof and I turn green...

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
When you are in a bad mood, you don't need a smart ass phone telling you that you are in a bad mood. I suppose there would be some satisfaction in smashing the wristband and cell phone. Instant gratification like that can boost your mood a lot.

I find that stress can be relieved by deer hunting. When you see a buck you picture the face of everyone who pissed you off during the year on the deer as you shoot it. I usually shoot it about seven times....I feel great afterwards and I have lost the stress I carried around all year.

If you don't like killing animals, take it out on a plant. Get a baseball bat and attack a thistle or burdock bush. You can even hang a picture of the person on them. You need to beware though, They aren't defenseless plants, you may regret it later when your all itchy and scratching yourself. Burdock leaves can also cause hard breathing if crushed for some people

Really, relieving of stress by killing animals and plants??? I mean really???
And you consider yourself a human??? This is disgusting

Here, try this, perfect for cases like yours...
Bang your head against the wall whole day, every day, for the rest of your life. Satisfaction guaranteed.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

I agree, it can be very satisfying.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

reply to post by rickymouse

Being the non violent person I am.....I beat the crap out of my pillows. Keeps 'em fluffy.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I heard about this in terms of a blood pressure monitor app and hints on lowering a person's anxiety levels. Sounds like it could be a good thing, imo. However I don't know if I'd trust the B/P aspect of it just yet, but it looks like a good start in any case.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

The deer feeds you, the burdock and bull thistle are things people try to keep out of their yard. The burdock root can be eaten when finished also and you can use the bull thistle flowers to make a drink also. Nothing gets killed unless there is also another reason. I actually have burdock growing in my yard for an emergency food and medicine.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Being the non violent person I am.....I beat the crap out of my pillows. Keeps 'em fluffy.

The only way a pillow will relieve stress is if you are beating your hubby over the head with it.
I wonder if you are allowed to whack the disruptive students with a pillow

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

The only way a pillow will relieve stress is if you are beating your hubby over the head with it. I wonder if you are allowed to whack the disruptive students with a pillow

Sometimes hubby gets involved.

As for the students....they would probably get a kick out of it!

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

A bit misleading.

The wristband sends info to your phones app to a coach "fitness" whale named Attu that guides you through breathing exercises not nearly what I was thinking.

I was thinking more along the lines of UN no fear borg helmets....

the real meat

Measurements are taking by touching and holding the wristband. Then the results are transmitted to an app on the user’s phone. Your mental state gets mapped out showing where you are on the passive, excitable, pessimistic and anxious spectrum. When things are really off, the app’s virtual coach, a “fitness” whale named Attu, guides you through breathing rhythms.

edit on 11-6-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

Taking? I'm sure they meant taken.

edit on 11-6-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I had a mood ring. A long time ago. I lost it.
Is that the same thing?
edit on 6/11/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
It sounds real sciencey.

And a lot like bull puckey. Those words actually go together, though, so that's at least a nice start. I'd be interested in how they pick out impulses specifically from your right atrium down on your wrist, it would be hard to isolate on a 12 lead. In fact, an ekg synchronized ultrasound scan would be about the only way to really see what the right atrium by itself was up to, IMHO.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Buy yourself a TI Chronos watch, make your own sensors and get the same benefits....
And have it unlock your front door and start your car for you too.

edit on 6/12/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Next year's model will automatically call the men in white coats if your mood is determined to be dangerous...

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
I had a mood ring. A long time ago. I lost it.
Is that the same thing?
edit on 6/11/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Don't you know, Phage? Today's mood rings came with an app called Find My Ring. It automatically sends a homing signal to your phone if you lose it.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
If the sort of problem one is having with remaining cheerful, can be solved by applying the wisdom of anything that could be described as a "fitness whale", as part of a smartphone app linked to a bit of chinese nonsense on ones wrist, then I would suggest that ones problem is... how can I put this?

Lets say theres a fellow on a park bench, weeping into his coffee, wearing a good suit, and in possession of all his limbs, faculties, a valid driving licence and a home to go to, OK? Now, right next to him is a fellow who is smiling inanely, has no coffee, chapped lips, a mishmash of rags covered in encrusted stains, is missing a leg, and has not had either a driving licence nor a home to go to for twenty years.

One of these people MAY be considered to have a serious problem in thier lives, and one of them may just need to suck it up, grow a proverbial pair of non-gender specific gonads, and get on with it. Obviously, suit and coffee guy is not having a nice day, but whatever is upsetting him cannot be all that terrible, because no matter how hard it gets, he can go home, have a shower, a better cup of coffee, watch a movie, call a friend, or if its getting really bad, call a psychotherapist of good standing, and get some real help. The whole time, "fitness whale" has been on at him about herbal tea's, the importance of good blood flow, and making sure to call ones parents occassionally.

Whereas, homeless, one legged ragamuffin guy, is clearly unable to self help his way to genuine happiness. He cannot clean up, has no where to do so for a start, nor money with which to pay for a place to do those things. He may also be dehydrated, and probably has an infection in the stump of his missing limb, which, had anyone cared to ask, is a fresh wound he recieved less than twenty hours ago. The immune response of his body has short circuited his brain, caused hallucinations, which due to the nature of ones normal reaction to a pixie falling off a vibrating toadstool, has caused him to grin inanely. I know what "fitness whale" would tell this guy. It would be something along the lines of "How did I get into YOUR pocket? This isnt right, I am calling the Police!"

This is a gadget for people who wouldnt know a real problem if it jumped them in an alley, and looked right into thier eyes as it strangled them to death with thier own shoelaces.
edit on 12-6-2013 by TrueBrit because: added punctuation, because the lack of it was ruining the "energy flow" of the words... my god... I feel sick...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join