It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majority Of Americans Support NSA Surveillance Programs: Poll

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I was intending to add a response here after I looked into Pew itself, but what I was finding was so interesting I created a thread detailing why I believe this "fact tank" cannot be trusted.

There's a PDF link in there to a story which mentions the head of Pew being linked to government and she is also listed as in the top 500 most powerful people in the world.

Quite a feat for someone who started out as a nurse, don't you think?

Involvement in the thread would be welcome, but even if you just have a little interest in how charities and companies can be fronts for other means you might want to take a look.

Why Pew Research Polls Are Anything But Trustworthy

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Why would an aspiring 'terrorist' use email, telephone or computer communication? Just wouldn't happen. Most people are aware that these things are not secure means of communication so if you were really up to something bad, why would such a person use them?

What is however ' excellent' for business as in the law and prison business, is people saying stupid things on line or texting and then getting arrested for 'saying something' as opposed to 'doing something'. Think how many people who just 'say' something can be locked away making a nice profit for private prisons.

Should people wake up to this, they really will limit their mobile phone use and 'facebook' will be a distant memory.

As to the majority of americans supporting surveillance, well, most people don't do 'thinking', the majority of americans were not asked in the first place, just a few representatives, and you can be pretty sure that anything said on line is mainly rubbish. Security services would be very much wasting their time with this nonsense but private prisons, they'd be rubbing their hands with glee. Nice little earner all those 'self convictions'.
edit on 12-6-2013 by Elliot because: spelling

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
More media brainwashing.

"Hey, your fellow Americans think it's okay, and so should you."

That's all this poll is.

-TS

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Apparently a larger majority of Americans than not versus 41 percent in opposition, support NSA/Prism spying. Now I'm not one to normally buy into polls as 100 percent evident supporting a view. However let's discuss is? I find this very alarming, as their might be a possibly as to what Americans really feel. What do you say ATS!?

It is IMPOSSIBLE to rationally discuss a poll without knowing:

1) The questions asked, and available responses
2) The demographics of the people polled
3) The location where the poll was conducted

etc., etc.

Why? Because it would be extremely easy to skew such a "poll" to a desired outcome. Anyone who has had even basic college stat courses can tell you how easy it would be to do such a thing. For example, do you think you'd get a different percentage if your survey was done in an old folks home vs. a high school?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
The only thing about polls that matter is the number of people taking part in it.

Passing off any poll as a "majority of Americans" with anything less that a sample group of 100 million active participants would lead me to believe the poll is biased.

That said, I would love to see actual polls done on some of the nation's top issues.

Then again, the US government would actually be forced to act on the will of the people, and there is no profit from doing that.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Typical manipulation and brainwashing from the traitors. Pay no mind to it.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elliot
Why would an aspiring 'terrorist' use email, telephone or computer communication? Just wouldn't happen. Most people are aware that these things are not secure means of communication so if you were really up to something bad, why would such a person use them?

What is however ' excellent' for business as in the law and prison business, is people saying stupid things on line or texting and then getting arrested for 'saying something' as opposed to 'doing something'. Think how many people who just 'say' something can be locked away making a nice profit for private prisons.

Should people wake up to this, they really will limit their mobile phone use and 'facebook' will be a distant memory.

As to the majority of americans supporting surveillance, well, most people don't do 'thinking', the majority of americans were not asked in the first place, just a few representatives, and you can be pretty sure that anything said on line is mainly rubbish. Security services would be very much wasting their time with this nonsense but private prisons, they'd be rubbing their hands with glee. Nice little earner all those 'self convictions'.
edit on 12-6-2013 by Elliot because: spelling

Absolutely.

This sounds like the introduction to "thought crime" and the "thought police".

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
They FIX the Votes for president.
and you think this poll is safe?

they tell you what think and you believe them.
wake up!

Bingo! I always believed poll results are either manipulated or completely fabricated.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Id just like to ask...

Has anyone here ever been asked poll questions? me never...
"Polls show 50% of people blah blah blah"

Anyone?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

The sanity to it is definitely up for question but when something is backed by a "pressing need for national security" and the sense of dependence on you to protect hundreds of millions of people, it's really amazing and perhaps horrifying at what can be done/excused. The doing of it isn't that hard. Think about what Google does on a daily basis and it's probably quite similar to web crawlers. As far as nuance goes, I'm sure they have filters for that. One off saying that a crawler catches probably isn't going to get much notice but repeat trigger words plus connectivity to others would up the probability that there is something to be concerned about. Toss in some statistical methods to further filter it down and you could actually have a shot of predicting a person's behavior, as long as they are being fully honest on the mediums. They actually attempt to do this using social media and marketing in a combination of customer engagement marketing, marketing automation, and analytics. Look here for a company that does this sort of thing.

reply to post by Anonbeleiver77

I was polled once multiple years ago for my opinions on George W. Bush and the Iraq War. Only time in my life where I've received a call for a political survey. Other survey calls that I've received were marketing and they get hung up on. However, I didn't hang up on the political one. I was more than happy to give my opinions.

edit on 12/6/13 by WhiteAlice because: a to the phasia

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by BrianFlanders

nooooo. why do you think they brought in those electronic voting machines? oh wait....

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake

Majority Of Americans Support NSA Surveillance Programs: Poll

www.ibtimes.com

A poll released Monday shows that despite the uproar over the National Security Agency’s newly leaked surveillance programs, a majority of Americans are fine with the agency's pervasive reach. Still, a sizable majority is opposed to the vast NSA surveillance net.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.newrepublic.com
politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com

Awesome, I am renouncing my U.S citizenship as soon as I can get out of the U.S. Maybe ask other countries for political asylum. I hear ecuador and Peru are nice.

If the Poll is true, then it can't be helped. The only way is education, and people are too lazy to educate themselves on the facts. I am honestly tired of this and wish to just not be a part of this nightmare anymore. If I watch and observe, it will be from afar. with great sadness, I will saulte the american flag, as a once great potential, that turned bad in the end because of greed and power.

The sadness is greater when you think about all those men and women that died in wars for a false cause. Even more, the founding fathers efforts appeared to have been in vain.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
What they do on polls guys is have so many people vote on it...maybe like 100 people or 1000. Then they estimate it for the entire population based on those certain people's answers. Seriously who believes in polls anymore, they dont prove jack.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The big change is Democrat support.

The Dems didn't support it under Bush and they support it under Obama. Obama is basically Bush and in some areas he goes even further than Bush.

Democrats are basically being Hypocrites.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Ange7Heart

Admirable it may be to leave the country while you can and before it's too late, and I absolutely understand your motives for doing such, but I would be remised if the question or thought was not raised about why you would not stay and fight if there was a chance of success?

Do you believe America has crossed the threshold or point of no return?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
It has always been hard for me to agree with nearly any poll.

Their are to many factors which can create a biased poll.

Demographics
political preferences
age of polled
knowledge of issue
education
questions asked
how questions are asked
wealth
number of polled
current issues
and many more.......

The only way to factually do a poll that is fare is to be aware of all of these things and the percentage of Americans who are part of each factor and adjust accordingly.

For instance: If the polling for this issue was only done in major cities in the new england area or west coast, then you would come up with the results similar to what has been seen, as the majority of those polled are hard core democrats and will protect the president in any decisions made.

But like wise if you were to do the poll in many of the rural and smaller towns in the south and mid west, you would find a much different outcome.

These polls hold no water in my book.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Any statistician will tell you that voluntary response polls and surveys are inaccurate and are not representative of the facts.

Only people who care strongly one way or another tend to answer them, or if the poll is hosted by a news agency, the respondents tend to be their viewers who likely already agree with whatever that media agency is saying.

If they want an even remotely accurate measurement of approval of this, large scale random sampling through phone calls or mailed surveys would have to be conducted.
edit on 12-6-2013 by Heehaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by dreamingawake

Majority of Americans are also sheep. That could explain the poll...

-SAP-

Wrong. Most people, especially politicians, believe the following emails actually happen:
(apologies to those named Ahmed and Akhtar but you know the context!)
-------
Ahmed,

I have the semtex do you have the detonators?

regards,

Akhtar
-------------------------
Akhtar,

I will get them tomorrow. I have arranged for getaway car. Where do suggest we park ? The Euston Station multi storey is a bit inconvenient.

Ahmed
---------------------------
Akhtar,

Park on the street and get a ticket. It won't matter because we won't be paying the fine...ha ha. Pick me up at 7am at Tottenham Court underground entrance opposite the Dominion Theatre. I will be wearing a green top and a red rucksack with the bomb in it. If only these thick Londoners knew what we were going to do.

Ahmed
Ahmed,

Ok will do. see you on the 24th May 2013.

Akhtar

Encrypt the messages? What is encryption? Split the messages into many parts sent seperately? Why do that it's inconvenient. Set up multiple hotmail, yahoo, gmail accounts, used once. Oh dear what a lot of effort and what a waste of resources. Send messages for months leading up to the event using normal postal mail (10 letters per message to 10 different post boxes/addresses) with an encrypted CD inside it that only holds every tenth word of the message Oh dear now that is getting complicated. Surely the terrorist is too stupid to do that. etc etc etc

Most people can't think to save themselves. even the police and politicians. How many times has a law come out and within half a second you have worked out how to break it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupidity erodes our freedom.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Poll:
Good Morning Ma'am!
I'm calling on behalf of the Department of Health and Well Being for Patriotic American Citizens.
We would like to give you the opportunity to let us know how you feel about the importance of your safety.
Please answer yes, no, or unsure to the following questions:

Are you ready?

Great! Then Let's Begin

1. "I believe it is a good idea for my life or the life of other good American Citizens to be violently taken by weapons of mass destruction used evil foreigners who invade my country." Yes, No, or Unsure?

2. "I believe my hard earned tax dollars should NOT be used to prevent foreign and domestic hate filled madmen from entering my neighborhood and killing myself, my friends, and my family" Yes, No, or Unsure?

Thank You for your Patriot service, Ma'am!

And you Have a Wonderful Day!

edit on 12-6-2013 by skynet2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The digital world is the NSA's playground. They see all that happens there and have the ability to do what they want. Why would we trust anything they find/create in digital polls of any sort? That would be like trusting a lion to not eat a zebra, a shark to not eat a fish, a little girl to not screem when she sees a boy band. Playing in their playground is just what they do!!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join