It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence of GMO Harm in Pig Study

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Hi peeps...

I cannot say that I am in the least bit surprised by this. I am very glad that someone has actually conducted a scientific experiment on the affects on GM. We should be very alarmed by this. Many people world wide knowingly or unknowingly eat pigs fed on GM. Pigs are not too dissimilar to humans in digestive system make up. So it would make logical sense that these findings may also apply to humans.

They have found that pigs fed on feed containing GM had moderate to severely inflamed stomachs and weirdly enough the uterus of the pigs fed on GM were 25% heavier on average. I do not think there is much more I can say. The article and findings speak for itself...

NB: Warning Graphic Images..

A groundbreaking new study [1] shows that pigs were harmed by the consumption of feed containing genetically modified (GM) crops.

GM-fed females had on average a 25% heavier uterus than non-GM-fed females, a possible indicator of disease that requires further investigation. Also, the level of severe inflammation in stomachs was markedly higher in pigs fed on the GM diet. The research results were striking and statistically significant.

Lead researcher Dr. Judy Carman, adjunct associate professor at Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia,[2] said: “Our findings are noteworthy for several reasons. First, we found these results in real on-farm conditions, not in a laboratory, but with the added benefit of strict scientific controls that are not normally present on farms.

“Second, we used pigs. Pigs with these health problems end up in our food supply. We eat them.

gmojudycarman.org...

Different levels of stomach inflammation found : severe (from a GM-fed pig, number D22). nil (from a non-GM-fed pig, number B41) (see Figure 1. in full paper for full image.)

Find a clear summary of the study here: ~
gmojudycarman.org...

Find the full paper here: ~
gmojudycarman.org...

I wonder what the big companies will have to say about this. I doubt we will hear much from them until they think up some absolute BS to respond with...

Peace
Fluff

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

Thank you for the thread and links. Here is a short vid of a squirrel choosing non-gmo over gmo tortilla corn. And a pic of squirrels chosing corn on the cob.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Thank you for your reply and video...

Yes I do remember that there was a thread posted about the squirrel preferring non GM corn. And it is not just squirrels there are many animals that prefer non GM food products. Which is not surprising. Always listen to the animals...!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The image below your video circulated on social media sites like wildfire. I posted the information about it in the above thread. See link below for information on image...

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
So, we have another scientificstudy with controls for reference now,
showing adverse effects on the digestive system on animals,
one can not help but wonder what effect this has on our digestive systems?

Originally posted by fluff007

Lead researcher Dr. Judy Carman, adjunct associate professor at Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia,[2] said: “Our findings are noteworthy for several reasons. First, we found these results in real on-farm conditions, not in a laboratory, but with the added benefit of strict scientific controls that are not normally present on farms.

“Second, we used pigs. Pigs with these health problems end up in our food supply. We eat them.

gmojudycarman.org...

Great work by Dr. Judy Carman, I applaud this woman!
She is relentlessy attacked due to her continued work in the study of GMO.

Thanks for posting, great OP!

edit on 11-6-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Thank you burntheships...

Judy deserves a massive pat on the back. I say kudos to her.....!

Hopefully she will keep up her work and studies on the affects of GM. I think it is time to start finding out what exactly GM does to the human body. And as pigs have similar digestive systems to us. We can only assume and speculate that similar affects will happen to us too...

Avoid GMO foods at all costs....!

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
And as Tard the Grumpy Cat says:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Much thanks for sharing. Interested in learning more as more. Especially the of how these findings are relate to recent growing concerns of the intestinal human conditions that have been on the rise-cause unknown but speculated.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Not to mention the rates of diabetes going up around North America! Is it possible that other organs look like the stomach in the pig above...in humans? I think there are high risks for digestive disorders-whether they be related to the stomach, pancreas (diabetes), or intestines with these gm foods. It is an unknown, therefore a risk.

BT variety GMO toxins are affecting the ecosystem, if you've read what's happening to the monarch butterflies from being starved because their milkweed food is completely disappearing. Then there's the new roundup ready superweeds! My fear is that it is already too late. I can't even find seeded grapes or watermelon in ANY store anymore! Grow your own food while you still can...

Edit to add: The reason that I point out the rates of diabetes, is because diabetes is an inflammation-related disease. That pig stomach looks highly inflamed. And then you have WHO saying that 50% of the population will have diabetes by 2050. If it does effect humans like the pigs in any way....then Big-Farma is about to make a killing, literally.
edit on 6/11/2013 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Wonder how long it'll be before Monsanto makes a HUGE donation to that particular Uni...not long i suspect.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by InFriNiTee

Save as many seeds from as many varieties of foods as you can, put then into small containers and put them into your deep freeze for long term storage.

I've grown sweet peppers without problems from seeds that have been stored for 5 years in the freezer.

The plant just thinks it's a bad winter and goes into a kind of genetic holding pattern, soon as they thaw out, they're viable.

If the Norway seed vault is any indication, seeds can be frozen almost forever without effecting viability.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
They control the money, the news and soon all the foodstuffs we consume.

They do not care about studies outside of their control and neither do the Government simply because the lobbyists dirty cash speaks louder than OUR protests.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!!

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. There is mounting proof that GM is bad for us. I guess that is why it is banned in so many countries now..

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Same mortality rate between the two groups....

A similar study is not done in humans. We are much bigger than pigs. Meaning, something that could harm a pig, might not necessarily harm a human.
This is VERY important in this field.

Plus, little harm seemed to have been done to the pigs. The pictures definitely exaggerate the effects. They took the worst picture and compared it to the normal picture. Are any of you experts in this field, who can say what those pictures really mean? I thought not.

oh about the corn picture, insects prefer non-GM food as well!

I still don't see any conclusive evidence here that GM foods harm humans.

edit on 11-6-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-6-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Doesn't seem a very rigorous experiment. Let's feed pigs diets from different sources and see what happens. Maybe we can find something.

Animals fed different diets showed different characteristics. Not too surprising really. Were the differences due to the GMO component? No way to tell from the way the experiment was conducted. Apparently there was no actual analysis of the diets. Just an assumption on the part of the experimenters:

there should be no phenotypical variation between the GM and non-GM varieties used in this study that could influence the outcomes measured in this study.

An odd statement since there are a number of factors other than genetics involved in phenotypical characteristics in crops. For example, it is known that hormone levels in soybean crops can vary (unrelated to the GMO factor).

Soy research is complicated because there’s considerable variation in isoflavone exposure among people classified as soy consumers. Agronomic factors (such as the soybean cultivar and the environmental conditions under which the crop grew) affect a food’s isoflavone profile, as does the way a soy food is processed.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

An interesting "Conflict of Interest Statement" in the report too.

The authors declare that there are no conflicts of interest

That's a pretty odd thing to see in a scientific article. Pre-emptive denial?
But right after that it says funding came from Verity Farms. Verity Farms is quite openly anti-GMO. The conspiracy theorist in me says, maybe Verity played with the feed.

gmojudycarman.org...
edit on 6/11/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

Why science on a farm? Couldn't they get the results they wanted in a controlled environment in a laboratory? I don't know about any of this stuff, except it stinks like corn modified with fish genes.

If these findings are false, and if it is a deliberate attempt to convince the public of a lie, then I want those people to go to prison. I'm sick of all the lies. On the other hand, if companies working on GM foods know about this and are saying nothing, I want the heads of those companies to roll!
edit on 6/11/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing.
This is a farmer whose swine experienced sterility after consuming the corn thats been genetically altered.

Plants arent profitable, but chemicals are...thats why one is prohibited and the other pushed!

LOVE

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by awake1234

And yet, strangely, millions upon millions of swine are being successfully bred and raised while being fed GMO corn and soy.

Go figure.

edit on 6/11/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Plus, little harm seemed to have been done to the pigs. The pictures definitely exaggerate the effects. They took the worst picture and compared it to the normal picture. Are any of you experts in this field, who can say what those pictures really mean? I thought not.

Did you look at the figure in the full paper. I could not upload that image. It is an image of pigs stomachs. Ranging from normal to severely inflamed. Figure 1. on page 8.

gmojudycarman.org...

I still don't see any conclusive evidence here that GM foods harm humans.

This was not about GM foods harming humans. It was a study conducted on pigs. Pigs and humans have a similar digestive system in that we both have similar biochemical and physical aspects. Read the paper below for more information. Table 1. on page 3...

ebm.sagepub.com...

It is also interesting to note that the pigs fed on the feeds containing GM were found to have on average a uterus 25% heavier. And as an above poster mentioned a farmer whose swine experienced sterility after consuming GM corn...

edit on 12-6-2013 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Why science on a farm? Couldn't they get the results they wanted in a controlled environment in a laboratory? I don't know about any of this stuff, except it stinks like corn modified with fish genes.

we found these results in real on-farm conditions, not in a laboratory, but with the added benefit of strict scientific controls that are not normally present on farms.

Why not. I am assuming that they had a reason for it. Although I could not say for sure why that is..

If these findings are false, and if it is a deliberate attempt to convince the public of a lie, then I want those people to go to prison. I'm sick of all the lies. On the other hand, if companies working on GM foods know about this and are saying nothing, I want the heads of those companies to roll!

Well I agree with you there. I think we are all sick of the lies. We just want to know the scientific evidence on how dangerous GM really is. Is it too much to ask. Clearly it is. It is getting more and more difficult these days trying to sift through all the data we come upon and try and figure out the real information from the disinformation. It is starting to really hack me off...! And if the GM companies know about such things they will not come out and say it or how else will they make their billions....

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So what is your view on GM Phage. Are you for/against or indifferent. If you can find evidence that Verity Farms did mess with the feed to produce certain results I will gladly reassess my view on this study. We can only speculate what the 'conflict of interest' statement means...

What I do not understand is why the have released GM into the main food supply when they really do not truly understand it. I have nothing against genetically modified organisms. But I do believe that more research should go into understanding GM before it is spread world wide. Genetic coding is incredibly complicated and how they can say that the GM is safe and not harmful is a disgrace. They do not know what effects GM will have in the long run. There is not enough known about it..

It is clear that this experiment was obviously not that well thought out. When is someone going to conduct an experiment with proper conduct and controls etc. Hey maybe we could get funding for you to do it Phage...

And if GM really is safe why is it banned or restricted in import, distribution, sale, utilization, field trials and commercial planting in 169 regions world wide..

www.gmo-free-regions.org...

www.gmo-free-regions.org...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join