It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Parliament Passes Anti-Gay Bill ( 434-0 Vote )

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Ummm..... Nyet, Tovarich. Nyet!!!

While folks are very busy taking notice of freedom vanishing in the U S of A, I thought I might direct some notice to another place where freedom has seen it's best times come and go for awhile. The Russian Federation.

Now, I'm not the booster for the Gay cause. That's no secret. However, to each their own and whatever floats your boat, as long as it doesn't have to be a part of my life or reality where I can't choose to avoid it? I really couldn't care less what consenting adults do. As for kids? This is just wrong and pretends like there isn't an issue where there absolutely IS. Outlawing education is outlawing freedom. No two ways to put that, as my signature lines attest to.

So what happened this time? Well, this is fresh off the wires, by the look of it.

MOSCOW (AP) — The lower house of Russia's parliament has overwhelmingly passed a bill that stigmatizes the gay community and bans the distribution of information about homosexuality to children.

The State Duma voted 434-0 with one abstention on Tuesday to approve the Kremlin-backed legislation, which imposes hefty fines for holding gay pride rallies or providing information about the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community to minors.
Source

Wow... Feeling a little HATEFUL in Moscow today, are we? It's one powerful statement to see a unanimous vote on a thing like this. It would seem freedom grasping for the last signs of life is a world wide issue and world wide it must be addressed, is my view. For shame, Russia. For SHAME with a thing like this.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I suppose all the russian parliment will not be welcome on ATS then? They probably would have to lie about how they really feel.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

I'd hope they wouldn't find a very warm welcome with anyone, given that level of hateful statement. It's one thing to voice disagreement and that was my point above. It's quite another entirely to make a national law essentially outlawing any public sign of it. This doesn't pass the law. There are two more steps...but those levels aren't sympathetic to the cause either.

@ Thread for an added thought

Even for those among the public who dislike gays so strongly it vibrates. I'd say this to consider. It always starts with the groups a Government figures society will least rise to defend. Organized suppression I mean. That's always where it creeps out from under that slimy rock to start to show itself. Then, once those groups are suppressed and precedent is established....one by one..slightly less objectionable groups become undesirable. It's not a slippery slope, IMHO. It's a vertical drop akin to the Grand Canyon.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

providing information about the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community to minors.

I applaud this, and big time actually. Kids shouldn't be exposed to this and shouldn't be forced to think that being gay or transgender is normal. They shouldn't also be taught to hate whoever is different from them in that way. However they should never be forced to accept homosexuality as a norm.

I might get angry replies and maybe offensive ones but I want to remind the posters that I hold the right to express my opinion and should be taken as such especially when is done with a polite vocabulary and no hate terminology.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Unfortunately, the gay press has been following this for months. St Petersburg passed the same law on their city last year, and have been locking people up, and using this as an excuse for the abuse and attacks against the gay community in Russia too.

This is a major problem, and there are Human Rights groups gathering evidence against the state and police forces across the country. Unfortunately, the Human Rights groups within the country are also under attack.

Russia IS NOT a modern country, it is going backwards. You are right, this is basically a race to the bottom in various ways. The USA and others are exposing themselves as being traitors to their own people, while Russia tries to pretend to be above them - they're not, Putin is no better than any other lying, cheating, thieving scum politician on the planet.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

MOSCOW (AP) — The lower house of Russia's parliament has overwhelmingly passed a bill that stigmatizes the gay community and bans the distribution of information about homosexuality to children.

The State Duma voted 434-0 with one abstention on Tuesday to approve the Kremlin-backed legislation, which imposes hefty fines for holding gay pride rallies or providing information about the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community to minors.
Source

That's so beautiful if I wasn't such a manly man, I'd cry. I wanna move to Russia now. 434 to Zero against - now those people Really know what they want. A better example of Democracy if I ever saw one.

Bravo Russia !

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Telos

providing information about the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community to minors.

I applaud this, and big time actually. Kids shouldn't be exposed to this and shouldn't be forced to think that being gay or transgender is normal. They shouldn't also be taught to hate whoever is different from them in that way. However they should never be forced to accept homosexuality as a norm.

I might get angry replies and maybe offensive ones but I want to remind the posters that I hold the right to express my opinion and should be taken as such especially when is done with a polite vocabulary and no hate terminology.

I couldn't agree more!! I do not want my child being introduced to this at an early age where it could soak in and become normal to her. This is a choice from an adult......Children can make their own mind up, when they are old enough to do it responsibly.....Not because they are allowed to view this stuff early on..

I agree! One point for Moscow in my mind.....Sorry I don't say what people want to hear on the gay topic, I say how I really feel not aimed to please like many here.....I do not want my daughter exposed to this unless it is HER decision when she is an adult....

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
From your link.

The measure is part of an effort to promote traditional Russian values as opposed to Western liberalism, which the Kremlin and the Russian Orthodox Church see as corrupting Russian youth and contributing to the protests against Putin's rule.

I knew somewhere in the article would the Russian Orthodox Church church be mentioned.
And russia does not seem to like anti government protests, be they lead by hetro or homosexuals.

As stated above russia does seem to be stepping backwards,this is thanks to the fear of western liberalism.

edit on 11-6-2013 by LordDerpingtonSmythe because: .

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I also want to add that despite my dislike of Russia in general, I do applaud the balls they have to say no to certain things. I know in a lot of european countries, especially those who came out of a totalitarian system in the last 24 years, were forced to change their legislation in accepting homosexuality as a human right and decriminalized it. Those countries were forced to accept this by Europe's institutions such as EU, CE etc as a condition for this countries to be accepted in the so called european family. Russia has the balls to say SCREW YOU to Europe and whoever dares to ask her to make a forced change. Kudos to them for that.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

You have the right to hold your opinion, and I have the right to attack it.

However you choose to view the world, homosexuality exists throughout nature. I know you like to use the idea that it's "unnatural", but this is an oxymoron. Something that exists in nature cannot be unnatural. What you mean to say is that you disagree with it, and therefore you should have the right to attack.

This law is not about "promoting" homosexuality - YOU CANNOT MAKE SOMEONE GAY. This is about educating children about the REALITIES of the world, you know, nature and science as opposed to religious BS?

Whether you like it or not, gay people exist, gay people deserve equal rights, and trying to pretend to kids that the world is a fictional place where only state-approved realities exist is so much BS I don't even know where to start.

The motto here is (or was) Deny Ignorance - trying to deny the existence of gay people to an entire generation is not only ignorance, it's WILLFUL ignorance.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

"Exposed" to this?
My, the IQ level on ATS just dropped like a cartoon anvil.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Its good in one way, it shows that Russia haven't evolved much as a nation, and definitly not as a species.

I pity their children.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013
Whether you like it or not, gay people exist,

Whether you like it or not Democracy has spoken.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I wouldn't expect any less from one like you. Attack all you want but that won't change the way I think. So your attack is pointless. To you is a natural thing. To me is so unnatural. But I can assure you that I never teach my kids to hate someone who's different. I just don't want them to be exposed to certain realities unless they're old enough to make their own decisions.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Briles1207
reply to post by threewisemonkeys

Democracy? In Russia.

You Sir are a fool.

Care to prove otherwise? Care to show how the vote was rigged? Which anti-gay group bought which politicians?

Didn't think so.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Briles1207
reply to post by Telos

Dress it up all you like, you are still a Bigot who was raised intolerant.

Thats just my opinion of course.....

No sir I was raised tolerant and taught to be sensitive to the other people's feelings. But I was also raised to use the pillow for sleep, not to bite it. If I have done that, would have been my choice. Sorry but gay people shouldn't be so intolerant with straight people.
edit on 11-6-2013 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
When I see a unanimous vote involving so many people on a social issue that is so divisive and then see that the vote was in held in Russia; it leaves no doubt in my mind that the vote was rigged and/or members of their parliament were coerced into voting against their true beliefs.

We may not agree on things here in America, but at least our politicians have the opportunity to vote their conscience....even if some choose not to.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I wouldn't expect any less from one like you. Attack all you want but that won't change the way I think. So your attack is pointless. To you is a natural thing. To me is so unnatural. But I can assure you that I never teach my kids to hate someone who's different. I just don't want them to be exposed to certain realities unless they're old enough to make their own decisions.

No, to the natural world it is a natural thing, to you it isn't. You refute science and nature, in favor of bigotry, that shows the kind of mind you have.

"To you it is natural"
Man! that's one of the funniest statements I think I've seen on ATS for a while. It's like calling water unnatural, or anger, snakes, gravity, or apples...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join