It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hand Held Survival

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I know. A cryptic title for a minor item.
A friend supplied me with a couple of the square buckets that previously held cat litter. I have a couple in my shop for years to hold this or that, but having acquired a couple of more G.I. MREs at a flea market over the weekend, I've realized that I can get seven MREs into one of these buckets. That can be a week's worth of food if one is on the go. Still, the bucket is not that heavy, easy to carry and one of the best things about it is you can drop it in an instant if the need would arise.

Why would you want to lighten your load on a trek during bad times and bad deeds? I can think of two. One, would be to do just that. To drop the bucket would allow you to instantly lighten your load and escape some danger, pronto!

The second reason would be similar to the breakaway tail of a lizard. You drop the bucket and the chasers may stop to recover it, letting you go on your way or providing you time to defend yourself rather than merely presenting your back as you depart!.

A third possibility the longer bad times would continue would be to carry trade items in the bucket. Nice and handy. Stop and think about it, you intercept some folks that want to talk, trade or take--you won't know exactly which.

The last thing you want to do is to take your eyes off of the individual or group and get on involved in digging in your backpack and hauling out items. You simply would NOT want to remove your eyes for more than a second from folks you encounter. With a bucket, you can say, "Look for yourself," and place it on the ground and step back (or prepared to quickly depart).

In such field encounters, they have all of the advantages: They probably will know the area, probably are multiple in number and probably are not encumbered by a stuffed backpacks to slow them down.

Along this same line of thought, if you will be carrying a long gun, have a sling on it. The sling will greatly increase you ability to carry other items in hand. That may sound like a no-brainer, but it makes common sense.
edit on 11-6-2013 by Aliensun because: clarification

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
good idea mate

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Having something to drop to discourage pursuit is a great idea, but a better one is dumping them out vs. dropping the container. It will take more time for them to gather, so more time for you to get away.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Those buckets have 100 uses. I keep several around to carry water, store things in the shed, temporary planters, etc. I even use them as extra can storage. If room in the cabinets run out, you can fill them with canned food and stack them in a closet. Keeps winter clothes in insect proof storage for the summer too.
SnF

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

but having acquired a couple of more G.I. MREs at a flea market over the weekend

Be careful with this. MRE's not stored properly can go bad. Buying single meals without knowing the production date (printed on the outside of the case shipped in) and therefore not knowing the expiration date could lead to food poisoning. Also not knowing how the MRE's were stored (above room temperature means shorter shelf life) could mean they have expired before you even purchased them.

If the situation arises when you need these meals to save your life you do not want them to have gone bad.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Never went in for the MRE craze. For me, they are only useful in a BOB due to space and method for heating them (and they are just too expensive per meal, for stockpiling). At the house, I'd prefer our food stores be the same kind of thing we eat day in and day out. Just keep excess, stockpile those things that really last (dried beans, pasta, rice, etc.) and rotate through. Also, home canning can't be stressed enough, as it can last for years and years and still taste as fresh as the day it was canned.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

The temperature issue is really in play if MRE's are in a BOB. Most people have their BOB in their vehicle in case they are away from home when shtf, and temp swings throughout the year could have adverse effects on a stored MRE.

MRE's have their uses but are by no means perfect in all situations. That's all I was trying to help the OP with.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

It's a good point to make. I should have done my post as a reply to the OP, as it would have been more to what I was responding to. I don't even keep MRE's in my BOB anymore, as it is in my truck. I keep canned food instead (as it keeps a while, is easier to rotate out, and is in its own container for heating). It is heavier though. But some of it is tuna. (with some mayo and relish, you have tunafish, then some crackers)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I've been saving the plastic coffee cans with resealable lids in case of a bug-in event with no running water.
A little sand or dirt in the bottom, do your business, cover with more dirt, seal.
Along the lines of dropping supplies there is much that a creative person could do along that line of thinking if it comes down to their life vs yours.

Gazrock made a good point about scattering the items too.
The Vietnam war is replete with stories covering this topic.
Should one find random "goodies" laying around in a SHTF scenario you'd be well advised to check them and the surrounding area slowly and methodically. Items of real value laying around would most likely be a trap of some kind.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

The OP is getting a little off topic, but that is OK.

My MREs are genuine military from surplus stores directly outside the biggest Army base in the states. Some of the troops on field maneuvers during the day don't eat them and later sell them for cash at the surplus stores. I have no fear of them going bad as my experiences with them go way back as I have frequently used them on camping trips when they were several years old. Some of you seem confused about the longevity of freeze-dried food versus canned.

I bought two last Sunday at a flea market near the base, 3 bucks each. There is enough high energy food in each packet--which includes among several items a carbide heater--to fed you for a day. I'll cut one open and photograph the contents for this site in the near future. They also are available to consumers by the case from about three different companies.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
getting a bit off the topic to start with,but I never bought into the MRE stuff.WAYYYY to expensive to start with.Granted,its a full meal,but even at 3 bucks,a rip off! For 3 bucks,you can get a can of spagettio's,a can of tuna,and a pack of twinkies.Or just get fresh veggies and dehydrate them.
As far as the buckets,I love them,when I can get them! 5 gallon buckets are nice,but if you need to pack them into a pickup bed,you waste a lot of space in between.Square buckets may not hold as much,but they fit together better,less wasted space,and easier to carry.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by blkcwbyhat
For 3 bucks,you can get a can of spagettio's,a can of tuna,and a pack of twinkies.

You can?
I think not.
RIP Twinkie

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by IslandGirl

Originally posted by blkcwbyhat
For 3 bucks,you can get a can of spagettio's,a can of tuna,and a pack of twinkies.

You can?
I think not.
RIP Twinkie

Twinkies remain available in Canada, never ran out, they are still produced and on the store shelves.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

You mention using a sling for your long rifle.
If you are going to carry it a long way do not buy a tactic-cool sling buy a padded sling. V-TAC and blue force come to mind.

Or you could do what I did and buy a Eberlestock.

new topics

top topics

join