It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the age of Facebook and Twitter, does the next generation even understand the concept of privacy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
In this age where people are posting their every move, even to the point of describing their bowl movements online everyday, you have to wonder; do kids these days even understand the concept of privacy anymore?

A recent poll taken just before the NSA revelations came out shows that a whopping 85% of Americans already believed that all of their communications were being monitored by the government and corporate entities.

Poll: Americans Already Believed Their Communications Weren't Private Anymore

Amid the disclosure that the federal government has systematically obtained massive amounts of Verizon phone records, a new poll shows that a preponderant majority of adults already fear that their private communications are no longer private.

Americans believe their cell-phone, e-mail, and other communications history is more likely to be accessed without their consent than any other form of sensitive personal information, the latest Allstate/National Journal Heartland Monitor Poll has found.

In the poll, 85 percent of adults surveyed said it was likely that their "communications history, like phone calls, e-mails, and Internet use," was "available for businesses, government, individuals, and other groups to access without your consent." That was a higher percentage than believed that any other kind of private information, such as medical and financial records, is being obtained without their approval.

The survey, which was conducted just before the controversy erupted over the National Security Agency's access to Verizon phone records (although not actual conversations), will be released in full on June 13.

National Journal

Americans have increasingly grown used to the idea of having our personal information pried into by government and corporate forces on a daily basis. The recent revelations only confirmed what we already believed was happening.

You have to wonder if a generation brought up on Facebook and Twitter who like to broadcast their every move and thought to the world at large can even comprehend the idea of "invasion of privacy"? Kids these days run around posting everything they do online like they're screaming "look at me, look at me", hoping the world will notice their mundane lives. To this generation, the idea that the government is actually tracking them may seem flattering because at least somebody is paying attention to their lives.

The implications of what is going on may only seep through to their consciousness when it comes back to bite them on the behind. Some are learning that their online presence can get them in trouble with their employers and some have even been caught by the police in criminal activity because of their online postings.

It may be that this generation may only come to the realization that their privacy should be something to be guarded when some form of persecution falls upon them because of something they have posted online. We are quickly moving to the point where the government may start taking action against people for their political views (as in the IRS scandal) or people could be denied medical benefits if they engage in some types of risky behavior (as defined by a faceless bureaucrat somewhere).

Will this generation just shrug off the recent revelations of government spying until its finally too late and they find themselves in the government's sights for something they said or believe? Do kids these days really understand the implications of the privacy invasions of the government's spying programs?

edit on 6/11/13 by FortAnthem because:
____________ extra DIV

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
i don't think they do

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Not until they are summoned to court one day for something they posted on facebook/twitter/etc.

Give it a few more years. I see a day when you criticize the government, you get fined. While also, required by law, to attend a "reeducation" class.

It sounds crazy, but these days, who knows what is possible from these people who have appointed themselves our overlords.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I see it as an extension of the "small town" phenomenon.

Everybody knows everyone elses business in a small town. Or so the perception goes. Because so few people has so little going on that some sick voyeurism becomes the most popular past time.

That small town is now the globe thanks to a constantly connected population that doesnt think twice about sending out what they had for breakfast to millions of people who for whatever reason take pleasure in reading that information.

That in and of itself is fine by me because a certain amount of opting in is required. You have to make an account with said service and you have to volunteer information.

But that breeds complacency. Sure, you dont mind sharing with everyone what you had for breakfast and you like reading what everyone else had that morning. So it's cute, fun and comfortable.

Now opting in is no longer required. The information is taken whether you want to share it or not. Even if you avoid all communication that isnt face to face sooner or later your voice and your face will be "tagged" and you'll get into the system through no fault of your own.

And all those people who thought it was fun and cute will be about half as outraged as you because they've gotten used to it so the infringements continue and you look crazy for being upset by it.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Yes, it's a sign of our times. Our privacy has been slowly chipped away over the years and promoted through places like FB.

Years ago, some people used to keep Diaries, keeping details about their day, logged for them to reflect on later in life. Now people seem to document every detail on-line.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I'm just waiting for the conspiracy theory to arise that states aliens gave us advances in technology in order to help document our species private lives.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Children are taught to snitch on their own parents and relatives and friends. That which was private is no more, and they are taught so by the State from a very early age. One such method employed, at least in the UK, is called "Circle Time". But I'm sure there are similar techniques used elsewhere. What you see on Arsebook and Twatter is a symptom of this disease.

About Circle Time

Much has been written of Circle Time in recent years, and as a teaching strategy it has seen increased use in Primary schools. However, it is not new. When a school considers Circle Time there are a number of issues that are key, which are worthy of consideration:

• Circle Time is not a subject
• Circle Time is a tool, it is an active teaching strategy
• To work best Circle Time should be developed across the key stages
• It should be used regularly, not spasmodically
• Circle Time should be developed in a planned way to address key issues within PSHE/Citizenship
• It can also be used reactively to address specific issues
• Lunchtime supervisors will find it a useful tool as a focus for active games or as a mechanism to resolve difficulty or conflict
• It can be used occasionally in staff or governors meetings Circle Time is part of an overall whole school strategy for behaviour management.

More...

In a nutshell, this teaches children that there is no such thing as I, only WE. There are no personal boundaries, what affects you affects everyone around you. It is therefor not your business, but everyones business.

Privacy is a relic.

edit on 11-6-2013 by threewisemonkeys because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-6-2013 by threewisemonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Look, I remember back when I got my first mobile phone, it was huge, it weighed about 3 lbs. and my conversations could sometimes be heard by anyone who was listening to their car radio in the vicinity of my call.

The same can be said of home security cameras etc... on systems using home WiFi networks. I've seen numerous t.v. documentaries where hackers can drive down your street, accessing home security systems and peering right into your living room etc..., even while you're sitting there in the "privacy" of your own home.

www.theblaze.com...

Anyone who EVER thought that wireless communications, sent through the airwaves like t.v. signals, were some sort of private communication is an idiot to begin with.

The people who actually don't understand the concept of privacy are those that make up the 15% of the population who thought their wireless calls were private to begin with.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I'm an outgoing type of person, but I can never understand how people can revel so much about themselves. Maybe it's the way people think and they feel it's easier to express themselves online. I grew up where the majority of people have tattoos, clothes. etc. Any style to express what they liked or didn't like.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish
Look, I remember back when I got my first mobile phone, it was huge, it weighed about 3 lbs. and my conversations could sometimes be heard by anyone who was listening to their car radio in the vicinity of my call.

Same here.
And I've also used the internet for long enough that it was before the WWW. All you had was email (which is no better than sending postcards, since it is plain text), and usenet (which is also plain text).
After that, was the WWW, but before https, it was basically sent as plain text... etc...

So, I've grown up simply assuming as first principles that "communications" are not secure.
And its true.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

I remember back in the days when you could listen in on other people's cell phone calls using a police scanner. Most people understand that their communications via cell phone or E-mail can be easily intercepted and listened in on.

The question then becomes; just because it IS possible easily to intercept your calls and E-mails, does that give the government the RIGHT to do so?

Most states have laws against wiretapping that say it is illegal to record a conversation transmitted on a phone line, even if that phone line is transmitted through the air. If its illegal for plain civilians, it should be illegal for the Feds as well.

Just because our communications are not secure doesn't give anybody the right to go snooping in on them. Some people may spend extra time or money to encrypt their communications but, that doesn't mean that the vast majority who either can't afford encryption technology or don't understand it have to give up their rights to privacy.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I am using my phone to share this:

It's a RADIO WAVE. There is no hard line connecting you to a wire and electric circuitry. Tesla harnessed radio for free use. We've been listening to radios for over 100 years. They are free.

Free to listen in on. Free to take info from. You can't own the air, people.

When you wirelessly connect to a wifi either at home or at the coffee shop, your info is accessible to anyone that can sneak in. Which means your info on the ownership of your device is readable.

J.Edgar would be thrilled with wireless. He'd have been able to more accurately stop the Red Menace from taking over the world.

This means FB, tweet tweet, gmail, Cingular, AT&T, every damn one can share and listen & read.

Here's the kicker-they never needed a writ. Anyone can listen/look for free. You are your own YouTube.

Now-as any law enforcement agency knows, no info obtained under those conditions can be used against you-but it CAN lead them to your dealers house-oops.

That fancy warrant that just got issued in the US? The one demanding all communication networks hand over all documentation of every single toilet flush ever heard on the phone? Well, now they can listen, AND use the info.

I read somewhere yesterday (didn't save it, I'll go look), that if any information leading to arrests is obtained via wireless device, it cannot be transmitted to another source via wireless electronic communication (fax, email, thumb drive). It must remain in hard form, and be snail mailed or hand delivered through human channels after retrieval.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Even if they understand the concept (and the dangers) - many still seem to have almost an addiction to sharing perhaps too much.

Case in point - we are good friends with a young couple who have a young child who is not quite school age yet. The dad works, mom is a stay-at-home mom and of course the child is home too.

So, the mom and child were visiting us and she states how she is often afraid being home alone all day. But, the mom said, "I guess people won't really know if I'm home or not..." Of course, the mom uses facebook and twitter very often during the day...

Mrs Frogs corrected her and said, "Of course they will know.." She told her that since she follows her on FB and twitter she knows the following about the young mom and her family..
Where they live - address and picture..
What she, her husband and son look like
Where husband works...
What time he leaves for work and what time he gets home..
When you and child go shopping during the day..
When you do chores during the day..
When you and child take a nap during the day..
That you have an old dog that isn't a good watch dog..
Even when they are expecting company or a repair person..

Mrs Frogs followed that up with, "Now, if I didn't have your best interests at heart - what could I do with all that information?"

Young mom turned very pale, gulped and said.."Oh My God.. you are right!!!"

Do you think frightened young mom cut back on FB and Twitter? Nope - not even a little bit.

edit on 11-6-2013 by Frogs because: me no spell gud

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeenAlot
It's a RADIO WAVE. There is no hard line connecting you to a wire and electric circuitry. Tesla harnessed radio for free use.

I think you'll find Tesla hyperbole at work here.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

It's habitual and pathological. They do it now without even thinking. The irony is that these people still feel like their privacy has been invaded, by someone viewing publicly available information that was volunteered. It's a mental disorder, and if it isn't yet, it should be.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Not only do they not understand the concept of privacy- they just plain do not care! Farcebook and Twitter have made life for the younger generation one big popularity contest and they race each other to reveal the most outrageous details of their lives. It is more important to them to be "Friended" and "Liked" than to retain even the smallest amount of privacy. They extend this into their non-internet lives via texting and pic messaging. They will not understand the problems they will experience down the road due to this behavior until it is too late. To be so technologically advanced they are extremely lacking in the common sense department.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This title asks a really good question. Which is why we need to be louder about these conspiracy theories.

I have a 19 year old son and a 26 year old friend who love their cell phones and all those social networking apps. They accept them as a part of life because they are used to it all their lives. They don't know a time like we do where everything you transmitted over wireless can be intercepted and misused - it's so common place - people dont think of those things as long as they get to use a neat toy with neat apps.

Marry this apathy with the recent PRISM scandal and www.youtube.com... Obama, NSA, Verizon and DoJ are being sued for $3 billion in a class action lawsuit over PRISM scandal

and this thread reminder about how very REAL ECHELON is www.abovetopsecret.com... ECHELON The Real Threat Our Privacy! ,

and it shows TPTB getting bolder in their collecting of all our private data. Not to mention that new huge facility the NSA is building for all this. We need to wake our young people up.
edit on 11-6-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I can't help but wonder if all these social media apps aren't some subtle psych op against the American public to get us used to the idea of always sharing everything we do publicly and destroying our perception of having any sense of privacy.

It could very well be just coincidental that everything has been leading us to this mentality and it could just be that the government is taking advantage of the mentality to further its surveillance programs, hoping the public is now more accepting of invasions of privacy after years of conditioning.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they planned this "revelation" because they know not enough of the American public will care enough to raise a stink about it.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

I can't help but wonder if all these social media apps aren't some subtle psych op against the American public to get us used to the idea of always sharing everything we do publicly and destroying our perception of having any sense of privacy.

Welcome to Globalism. Personal boundaries have been systematically broken down over several decades, in order to leave the world, not just America, is a state of perpetual need. A need to have what your neighbor has, a need to think how your neighbor thinks, and if you have what they have and think how they think, you feel accepted, like you belong. And if you do not, then you are a social outcast.

Facebook is the planet in hypertext. It's inherently dysfunctional, it is the sum of it's parts. Those parts being dysfunctional human beings .I used to think Facebook was just full of people pretending to be something they are not, then I realised that they are actually like that as people in their real lives and that was a very disturbing thought indeed.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Kids these days are dealing with a lot more than we ever had to and I'm kind of grateful we never grew up with twitter, facebook and the like. Growing up was hard enough add that to the mix and its a whole new ball game. I don't think that kids these days understand privacy and like you say it would be too late when they finally realize what is happening. I read an article about one teen who already got arrested for a facebook status. Here's the link:

www.bostonmagazine.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join