It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama administration says it will allow all girls to have morning-after pill access

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
So you all are good with unwanted pregnancies. Because you aren't good with sex ed - you aren't good with freely available birth control - you aren't good with abortions. The only thing you seem to be good with are unwanted children, pregnant teenagers and abstinence (worked well for the Palin family). I guess you are all content with gods little punishment for having sex.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I look forward to the day when reproduction can't take place without medical consent. Too many people go around spreading their seed then not taking any responsibility for it. People should have to prove they are fit to be parents before they're allowed to give birth then 99% of all the laws and regulations can be done away with.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Allows all girls to have OTC plan B abortions pills. So 10 year olds can access it? 8 year olds? So now 8 and 10 years olds have the knowledge and know what’s best for their sexual reproductive organs?

So based on this logic, a man 31 years old, can have sexual intercourse with a 10 year old? It would be considered statutory rape but if shes old enough to buy birth control and have “ sexual awareness”, then shes old enough to have sex with anyone?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacobsLadder
I look forward to the day when reproduction can't take place without medical consent. Too many people go around spreading their seed then not taking any responsibility for it. People should have to prove they are fit to be parents before they're allowed to give birth then 99% of all the laws and regulations can be done away with.

That’s very Orwellian of you
edit on 11-6-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The simple solution to this for all those right wingers out there wetting themselves over the state giving their daughters this... if you raised them right to start with they wouldn't need the state to supply it! If they could come to their own parents with these things then maybe they wouldn't be opening their legs so irresponsibly? Maybe, just maybe, it was all that nonsense about "praying" and "chastity" that completely failed your daughter and meant that she didn't know how her own damned body works?

Look inward here folks, if your daughter is needing this, you have bigger problems than the state supplying it. You should have educated your daughter properly, taken responsibility yourself and raised a daughter that doesn't need this in the first place.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacobsLadder

I agree.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

I've got no idea where you get all that from. How on earth did you jump from people wanting to know what drugs their minor children are taking ... to .... people who want the government to butt out of their families are people who don't want free birth control or who want a bunch of illegitimate kids running around?

That's a pretty massive leap ....

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

That's not true. The issue is that even though children aren't allowed to so much as take a motrin at school without a parents consent .... suddenly these children (at any age) supposedly are old enough to know when they should be taking a powerful abortion drug and they can do it without a legally responsible parent needing to know?

That simply doesn't make sense.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013
reply to post by FlyersFan

The simple solution to this for all those right wingers out there wetting themselves over the state giving their daughters this... if you raised them right to start with they wouldn't need the state to supply it! If they could come to their own parents with these things then maybe they wouldn't be opening their legs so irresponsibly? Maybe, just maybe, it was all that nonsense about "praying" and "chastity" that completely failed your daughter and meant that she didn't know how her own damned body works?

Look inward here folks, if your daughter is needing this, you have bigger problems than the state supplying it. You should have educated your daughter properly, taken responsibility yourself and raised a daughter that doesn't need this in the first place.

There you go raise your kids right - teach them that sex is shameful and perverted - that you will go to hell if you get pregnant, that the only good daughter is a virgin daughter. -- wink wink - you go son. Oh yes and feel free to bring any concerns you have up to us and we will pray about it.

So only the daughters of "bad parents" will get pregnant. The only thing that you worry about the bad girls getting pregnant is that some way you will have to pay for it. Wierd how that all works.

In the mean time your "good girls" are discovering on the street that there are ways to have sex without losing their virginity so god must be happy with that.

So for all the bad parents out there -- there is a way that becoming a grandparent might be prevented and if with all your "bad" parenting the kid feels that she can say oops I might have a problem, you have one more tool in your arsenal on the march to raising a well rounded child going to school going to college and hopefully having a fulfilling life. My step kids were raised by bad parents who consoled them on their mistakes. They are wiser college educated and building good careers, it could have been different, way different. I wish this option had been available. I am distressed that there are good freedom loving republicans that feel that freedom only goes so far.

I'm a bad parent.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
reply to post by Rocker2013

That's not true. The issue is that even though children aren't allowed to so much as take a motrin at school without a parents consent .... suddenly these children (at any age) supposedly are old enough to know when they should be taking a powerful abortion drug and they can do it without a legally responsible parent needing to know?

That simply doesn't make sense.

And this is my primary issue with the law: that it is not consistent with all other medical consent rules for minors. I would suggest that the most likely reason for this exeption is political pandering and exeption for a PC issue.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
There you go raise your kids right - teach them that sex is shameful and perverted - that you will go to hell if you get pregnant, that the only good daughter is a virgin daughter. -- wink wink - you go son. Oh yes and feel free to bring any concerns you have up to us and we will pray about it.

So only the daughters of "bad parents" will get pregnant. The only thing that you worry about the bad girls getting pregnant is that some way you will have to pay for it. Wierd how that all works.

No, pay attention please

Education and discussion is the key. It seems to me that the majority of girls who get pregnant as a teen either grew up with prudes for parents who expected the school system to educate them in all of this and never opened their mouths, or religious parents who act like dictators and treat the notion of sexuality as a sin.

Yes, there are people who are naturally irresponsible, and there are people who make mistakes and have accidents. But like it or not, you are a parent, and you are 100% responsible for your child until they are legally an adult.

You are responsible for the education of your child, you are responsible for what they access on the internet, you are responsible for the people they are influenced by, and you are responsible when they get pregnant. The point is that no one is perfect, there is no "ideal way" to raise a child. But it seems to me that those who have kids at a very early age are, mostly, uneducated when it comes to sex, rebellious because they were raised by prudes or were pushed towards it through peer pressure.

I know this, because I have older sisters who both had children at the age of 16. My parents never talked about sex, never gave them any birth control, refused to even consider it. As if the act of giving them birth control was giving them permission...? No, instead of accepting it and getting them on the pill, they ended up with two pregnant teenagers instead.

That's the kind of ignorance I'm talking about. Bad parenting is just that, I'm not saying that's always the case, but a lot of the time it is because the parents are prudes, religious, ignorant, uneducated and basically just stupid parents.

My opinion.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I guess the Obama administration wants the teens to start ripping off their parents and relatives every time they have sex. Where are teens going to get the hundred bucks for this medication? I guess the teenage girls will have to start charging for sex so they can give the money to the Pharmacy.

I see a lot of moral issues with this law. I think this is not something that the government should be involved with, they should not make it legal for underage kids to be able to buy this pill. Of all the things the Feds have done I think this is the worst. This is a family issue, not a federal issue.

All I can do is curse the US government till they reverse this action.
Isnt making it legal to buy a show that the feds are stepping out, and not being involved? Wouldnt making it illegal be a show that they WERE involved?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
reply to post by spyder550

I've got no idea where you get all that from. How on earth did you jump from people wanting to know what drugs their minor children are taking ... to .... people who want the government to butt out of their families are people who don't want free birth control or who want a bunch of illegitimate kids running around?

That's a pretty massive leap ....

Not a massive leap -- it is the same thing you don't want an abortion, don't have one, you don't want your kids to use birth control tell them to just say no, you don't want them to have sex, tell them to just say no. You don't want your kids to take this pill just tell them not to. Those are for the "good kids" with righteous parents.

The reality is that there are "bad kids" who have bad parents. You want to deprive them of something that will literally hopefully prevent them from having a life altering experience. It probably helps the "good kids" who are scared to death of their righteous parents. You have the right to tell you kid not to drink or drive or take drugs, or have sex. I hope you are successful good luck with that.

These have been available over the counter in Europe, for over a decade. Now I know that is a bad example because we all know that Europeans are savages, satan's spawn as it were, but in this case they had an uncommon flash of incite.

So speaking for bad parents everywhere -- thank you whomever for making this option available.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
As a father of a teenage girl,I would hope that she could come to me with a problem of this possible magnitude and let me know that she may need this pill.

So all those hours of me talking with my kid about the birds and the bees just went by the wayside.

Now with a stroke of a pen,a part of me being a good father has just been taken from me.Thanks Govt,anything else you want to take away from me?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

The government (and you) are saying that children with bad parents actually have a greater oppourtunity to make adult decisions for themselves.
What has trained them to make these adult decisions?
What has prepared them to make these adult decisions?

Bad parenting? Are you infering that bad parents produce better decision makers? Are you stating that having pre-marital sex infers that you are then capable of making an adult decision?

Nope, not saying that at all. I'm saying that children with bad parents are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Without good parents, their opportunities dwindle. At least good parents can discuss the situation with their kids, and together they may make the decision to go ahead and take the morning after pill. Without this legislative change, the children with bad parents most likely wouldn't have that opportunity. Regardless of the legislation, these kids are forced to make an adult decision on their own.

What would you suggest we do with a 13-year-old girl who has a night of unprotected sex, and who can't go to her parents because they're crack heads? Without this legislation, she's only got a couple of options: go ahead and have the baby and drop out of school, or kill herself. Not a lot of opportunity there.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
This is decent until you get to the intelligence of teenage girls, that they'll pop these things like candy after sex, even if there isn't a slip up from other contraceptives. There might be girls who sat on a wet toilet seat, and took a morning after pill just to make sure. They might wake up after a party, and take one, just to be sure. There are enough of them who still haven't figured out that maxi pads are not supposed to be flushed down a toilet, and now they're getting access to pills that ought to be monitored like sudafed because of the potential for misuse. That's just the girls.

Sure it's not all of them but there needs to be concern for the ones that aren't yet mature enough to comprehend what the drugs do to their bodies, or rather, what they are doing to themselves with their behaviors. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

If only they could make a pill for young men to shoot blanks, I might think this regulation was fair.

edit on 11-6-2013 by Sandalphon because: Prejack, the new morning before pill for men

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I'll say this.When I was a a teenager in the early 80's,I dont remember seeing any pregnant teens in school.Of course I know there were,but they sort of just quietly disappeared.

My daughter told me that now days,there are quite a few pregnant teens at her school,and that they are proud of being pregnant and show it off.Im afraid this will only encourage more teens to not worry about any consequences of having un protected sex.

Again,I am against this.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bootyac
As a father of a teenage girl,I would hope that she could come to me with a problem of this possible magnitude and let me know that she may need this pill.

So all those hours of me talking with my kid about the birds and the bees just went by the wayside.

Now with a stroke of a pen,a part of me being a good father has just been taken from me.Thanks Govt,anything else you want to take away from me?

The good news is, your daughter probably WILL come to you before she does anything else. So, I don't think all those hours went by the wayside.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Obama administration says it will allow all girls to have morning-after pill access

Who cares what the Obama administration does? Morning after pills are readily available in schools across the nation from their peers and older students. Kids are more sexually active now than ever before.

Sexuality is so glamorized in the media and kids are naturally curious and experimental at increasingly younger ages. What do you expect?

I think some of you need to get out more and actually take a long hard look at what is happening in American culture, and especially youth culture. It's astonishing!!!

With ATS leaning more and more to the right; I see an increasing naivete and unwillingness to actually "deny ignorance" in favor of an intellectual comfort zone more akin to "Leave it to Beaver" than reality.

edit on 11-6-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join