It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reconcilliation in America.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
America has just had an incredibly divisive election. An election that polarized and tore the country apart. The campaigns from both sides blackened the opponents names untill it was difficult not to dislike both candidates. It is easy also to understand the state that Democrats find themselves in post election.

I think it is time that all Americans start working together as Americans - my question here is if you were President Bush what would you do to reunite the country?

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I'd try to level things a bit by appointing the opposite party in key positions, for a start! BUt then I am always told that I am fair to a fault.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I myself hate to be manipulated for my vote, using the; war, abortion, gun rights, and health care, gay marriage, to divide the country for partisan purposes. These are tools used for that very purpose.

I think it's up to the American people to unite on their own. After 911 America united and was very reflective of this, primarily becouse of the emotions felt by most were very similar, and elevated.

But to intentionally divide for the sake of a vote, does nothing in the short term future, except divide the country.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
I'd try to level things a bit by appointing the opposite party in key positions, for a start! BUt then I am always told that I am fair to a fault.

I think thats a great idea. It has happened in many other countries that were much more traumatised than America. In 1994 The African National Congress (ANC) in South Africa won the election by 64% , yet chose to have a Government of National Unity (GNU) - Where they had a president - Mandela, and two Vice Presidents - Mbeki (ANC) and De Klerk ( National Party - Apartheid architects home). The Cabinet of this government also included members of all the major parties. Even now 10 years later the countries cabinet includes members of the opposition parties.

I think as a gesture of reconcilliation Pres Bush should include both Kerry and Nader. I am not suggesting a 50/50 split but at least a 10% representation in the cabinet.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I have to agree with LadyV on this one.... He should appoint someone other than his buddies to important offices. But any reconcilliation is going to be difficult, considering that half the counrty believes the other half to be "UnAmerican" and undeserving to be here, simply because of differing Moral values.

[edit on 7-11-2004 by thethrall_nb]

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
SO...how many think he will actually do something to level the playing field a bit, or do you think he'll just run roughshod over the other half of the nation? He could ease things a bit if he wantds to, settling things down a lot perhaps. I just don't think he'll do this. I hope I'm wrong!

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
what do you mean by "level the playing field"? do you mean that he bends over backwards to do what the Democrats want? No I don't see that.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrsdls
what do you mean by "level the playing field"? do you mean that he bends over backwards to do what the Democrats want? No I don't see that.

Talk about taking things way over to the other side
If you can't understand what that means, you shouldn't be debating politics...

top topics

join