It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Convenient System Reset: Rolling Blackouts or Random Reprisals?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Typing a reply to a colleague... a somewhat heated thread dealing with remarks from the POTUS explaining problems we're going to have. The reply is about half typed and I get a hard reset to my anchor man system and everyone else in the room. "Today is different.." Peter Gabriel, Through the Wire

It wasn't the first time today, more like the third. Two times yesterday, following a pattern of between five and ten minutes after the hour -- I'm getting to start over as if I must be doing at least something right. This is good, I mean even my online UPS gets switched off too; which makes the jeopardy to my hard drives experiencing a Scratchin' Phish a real possibility if it continues. And-- what kind of power failure can switch off your UPS? It checks out a winner on self-diagnostics every week: yes I am that butt painfully fastidious.

I am aware of the electrical power in my neck of the woods is a little sporadic if not kind of unreliable during the air conditioning season-- but this is happening on my end only when I'm participating in a thread with extremely controversial subject matter. And this again is two to five seconds of complete flatline for wall current, not a brownout or sag. Could this be a gesture of gentle persuasion by the antiaircraft goons or am I a pair o' noids?
Is anyone else experiencing technical difficulties while firing away lately? Is there anybody ...dropOUT there?

Please Mods... pigeonhole this one wherever you please; but I initially call this chit-chat, being unfounded flap.

edit on 10-6-2013 by derfreebie because: bold type for dummies assumed in title, yes I: buffoon

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by derfreebie

Yes but not the resets you are getting. I'm getting knocked off my router which then of course reconnects but says "Unsecured." WTF? So of course I check the connection, secured. Weird as it's never happened before.

I didn't think a UPS could even do what yours is doing. Isn't that the whole point of UPS?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Ya,. . I;d say your a Pair Of Nads at a minimum.

It sounds like an Electricl Wiring Issue. Keep the Fire Extenguishr handy just in case.

Plus I don't think the rest of us have 20 items plugged into the same outlet.

edit on 10-6-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

The UPS is the outlet

Edit - Gotta say, I just love ATS
edit on 10-6-2013 by Bassago because: 3D facepalm

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bassago

Yes but not the resets you are getting. I'm getting knocked off my router which then of course reconnects but says "Unsecured." WTF? So of course I check the connection, secured. Weird as it's never happened before.

I didn't think a UPS could even do what yours is doing. Isn't that the whole point of UPS?

It was the original intent, but seems to be irrelevant to whatever gremlin is hosting this
malady. Mr DSL is coming back easier than Pi, but recovering my old browser session
might as well be newborn; meaning the browser history since the last session opening
is bye bye too. I have a bicycle, but also no inclination to push up a 5% grade while
manually juicing my inverter with the big Pacific motor on the back tire either...lol
I think if your isp resets your connection it has to go loose first, and after the connection
is secured it starts encrypting again. You're cool, except for dropped connections being
a real buffer buster... sometimes on this side it's like the bandwidth plugs to NOTHIN'.
Still good [?] to hear another voice in the wierd wilderness..

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

The UPS is the outlet

I was about to say.. and the printer / non-essentials are on unprotected outlets
(except for anti surge). Collectively the CPUs/LCD/KB switching are still eating
only the amount of juice to the point I've got 80 minutes of backup time.
Not with this hammer hitting it.... I'll probably have to fall back onto a laptop
and a red box firewall that costs more retail than my first Explorer...

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

The weird wilderness, I like that. Not too worried about my disconnects... well did ask my daughter to check outside for any suspicious vans or such (really) but found nothing.

Are you on a desktop or laptop? Guessing desktop as the laptop could remain unplugged from the UPS and you would have already checked that. In my experience though most gremlins are caused by a hardware issue (stares balefully at the router.)

Edit - yep, desktop

edit on 10-6-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

The weird wilderness, I like that. Not too worried about my disconnects... well did ask my daughter to check outside for any suspicious vans or such (really) but found nothing.

Are you on a desktop or laptop? Guessing desktop as the laptop could remain unplugged from the UPS and you would have already checked that. In my experience though most gremlins are caused by a hardware issue (stares balefully at the router.)

Regrettably accurate, desktop for the anchor man and GOd only knows what evil firmware had
been shoehorned into that DSL. Most of the back of it is jacks, and you KNOW there's room
inside left over digitally for the whole Warner Bros. Orchestra, Bugs, Daffy, AND Elmer with a
minigun. considers a single wire to the DSL from the uplinked old faithful CAT5 switch...
That thought being my back room intranet would be isolated one more level. This DSL box
has a quad of CAT plugs in back, and YOU HIT on something. I'll try it tomorrow after my
setup gets turned into Hiroshima slag... always a good time.

PS EDIT:: but Wait... this reset is happening at the UPS mains! It's even upstream from any
of the CPUs much less the peripherals. Q: could the gods have devised an algorithm to drop
out my UPS main power switch and kill the whole floor? Ow Ow OWWWww.
edit on 10-6-2013 by derfreebie because: PS. backtrack through the UPS? maybe

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

And with that, I must retire for the evening and be a party puppy.
up since four, it's along story.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Sounds like your battery is shot on your UPS.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
its aliens man, ancient aliens

new topics

top topics

join