It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Dutch Prime Minister: 22 nuclear bombs stored in Holland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Former Dutch Prime Minister: 22 nuclear bombs stored in Holland

www.digitaljournal.com

According to a report released on Monday by De Telegraaf, the Netherlands' former Prime Minister Ruud Lubbers has confirmed that 22 nuclear bombs belonging to the United States have remained stored in his country.

Lubbers, who served as prime minister from 1982-1994, was aware of the presence of the warheads at the time, however recently, he has commented, "I would never have thought those silly things would be there in 2013," he further added, "I think they are an absolutely pointless part of a tradition in military thinking."

Read more: www.digitaljournal.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I wonder what the implications of this news is, are the Dutch just storing them for the Americans or waiting for something special to happen
are many more nuclear bombs sitting deep underground in Europe that we have little knowledge of and which other countries are keeping quiet and "prepared" I wonder what the European parliament s say on this is ?

www.digitaljournal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
My Guess Turkey,Germany,Belgium,France, Britain,Italy,

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
bos.sagepub.com...
didn't realise turkey were storing them oh well bad day when I don't learn something new

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Interesting news if accurate. Somewhat outshined, however, by the naivete of a politician that would surmise:

I would never have thought those silly things would be there in 2013," he further added, "I think they are an absolutely pointless part of a tradition in military thinking.

Do these folk have any grasp of history and/or human nature? Just because nuclear weapons are infinitely "stupid" doesn't mean they will go away. Dude should've spoken up sooner, eh? Welcome to the most effed-up generation that has EVER existed. Pleased to meet you...hope you guess my name.

edit on 10-6-2013 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Sorry this is not even close to being the most screwed up generation that title belongs to the 50s and 60s where airplanes with nuclear reactors was thought to be a good idea, and setting of nukes to propel and space craft to orbit.

Nukes stored in Holland?

They were store in the UK, other parts of Europe, and even Japan what is screwed up is most nukes are over 60 years old, and the only country who isn't building new ones is US.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Sorry this is not even close to being the most screwed up generation...

All I can say to that is...wait for it...wait for it...BOOM goes the world! Our political philosophies are untenable, the world is on edge, almost no one can survive anymore without modern amenities, our kids are increasingly screwed up, and sociopathy reigns supreme.

The 50's and 60's were just cause for effect. Have a nice day.

edit on 10-6-2013 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by astra001uk

To be honest (I live a couple of miles from this place) this was never a secret. Everybody knew they were stored there. The only remarkable thing is a politician finally admitting it.

Peace

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Well it will certainly make the next invader think twice about hoppin' that border now won't it? Hell, even one nuke can equate to a pretty bad day.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
They are buried in a vault and haven't seen the light of day in 50 years? I would hate to be the guy tasked with digging them up. Don't they pretty much belong to the Dutch now? unless there is an ongoing agreement to keep them there, but it sounds more like they were just left and forgotten after the Cuban missile crisis and cold war, the Dutch should have taken it upon themselves to dispose of these things in a proper manner if they are so worried about it being silly that they are still there. But no, instead let's just make stupid comments about it to NatGeo and blame it on the Americans. Typical.
edit on 6/11/2013 by TheCrimsonGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
good info mate

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCrimsonGhost
They are buried in a vault and haven't seen the light of day in 50 years? I would hate to be the guy tasked with digging them up. Don't they pretty much belong to the Dutch now? unless there is an ongoing agreement to keep them there, but it sounds more like they were just left and forgotten after the Cuban missile crisis and cold war

Uhmm...as far as I'm informed they are actively being maintained and guarded by US military personnel stationed there.

My weekly bowling buddy is a retired US soldier that used to work there.

Peace

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

That's interesting, they didn't mention that in the article, they made it sound like these were some old forgotten bombs.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

Originally posted by TheCrimsonGhost
They are buried in a vault and haven't seen the light of day in 50 years? I would hate to be the guy tasked with digging them up. Don't they pretty much belong to the Dutch now? unless there is an ongoing agreement to keep them there, but it sounds more like they were just left and forgotten after the Cuban missile crisis and cold war

Uhmm...as far as I'm informed they are actively being maintained and guarded by US military personnel stationed there.

My weekly bowling buddy is a retired US soldier that used to work there.

Peace

You are quite correct. These tacical nukes were stored all over western europe and maintained in case of a Soviet Invasion through the Fulda gap. NATO crews still train as if this is going to happen and still train to deliver these weapons. They were not abandoned nor were they forgotten. They are stored and maintained like another other munition.

One could say they are not needed now and should be dismantled, but they are safe and not ready to pop at any moment.

One politician is acting surprised about it to pander to a certain element in the voting public.

top topics

join