It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama, NSA, Verizon and DoJ are being sued for $3 billion in a class action lawsuit over PRISM scand

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
I'd love to see the people who filed these lawsuits prove how they have been hurt by this in any way.

Apart from increased paranoia, I can't see any possible impact on the average citizen at all.

This is where we fall into a bit of a legal chasm that could go on and on. In a democratic society we are supposed to be free from monitoring by the state, and the moment that trust is damaged there is a case against the government. If the threat is there, the people have a case whether they can prove that they personally have been targeted or not.

It's the same with the media, they can claim "chilling effect" on freedom of speech, the idea that knowing you COULD be being watched by the state itself stifles free debate and reporting.

This tactic was used in Germany in the 30's by the Nazis, the simple threat of being watched, reported, arrested, was enough to silence much of the press. There were only a couple of papers still willing to write about Hitler, and that was before he was even elected as chancellor.

I guess the same applies here, if people can prove that they feel threatened by this information, that they have reason to fear the state, or the media feel that they cannot have free and open journalism, then there is a case against the government.

Also, those people in a class action suit can make the assertion that they believe they were targeted, and then it's potentially up to the government to prove that they were not. There is the reasonable assumption that they were targeted at some time or another because the gathering of information was so wide.

It's a minefield, but I think there's definitely a case against the government there. Even if there's no chance of being awarded anything, it would force the US government into giving up more information and it would also teach them a long overdue lesson - there are consequences.

Even if it doesn't go far, I would support this. What else are the people supposed to do about this? Short of calling up the militias to march on DC I don't see how you can really get the message to government that this will not stand.

Edited to add that I'm cheerful thinking about watching "the People V's the Federal Government of the United States of America". I just got all tingly!

edit on 10-6-2013 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Obama, NSA, Verizon and DoJ are being sued for $3 billion in a class action lawsuit over PRISM scandal

Not really sure how to post this, but here is the website with the legal docs:

www.scribd.com...

LOL. Why aren't they suing Bush as well? After all, he's the guy who started this.

Anyway, it's not going to happen. This is just some nutjob's wishful thinking.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I asked this question on another thread.

If it comes to light that they have not just been spying on US citizens but international ones also, can we sue also?

Oh and I hope you guys make em pay it is ruddy disgusting this, they should be strung up for it.

Apparently they really like spying on Germany:

euobserver.com...

It's a funny thing because Germany is almost paranoid in all matters where privacy is concerned - they even "freaked out" when Google started imaging cities for Google Maps due to privacy concerns. Germans take privacy VERY seriously.

I'll looking forward what ramifications this will have since it doesn't make sense to me that people are opposing and protesting their homes/cars etc. in Google Maps...while GIGABYTES of their very private data are stored and accessed at the same time. It really borders the hilarious.

But..read my lips...there are "powers" at work which will downplay the entire scandal, all the responsible CORPORATES like facebook, Google, MS etc. won't ever be held liable.

Also..I read around a little the last few days and THINK that the role of facebook etc. is bigger than what people might assume. In fact, I think the system (PRISM) was developed by facebook - and THEN later on "sold" or in same way made available to the NSA.

Let some weeks go by and I am certain more details will come out about the involvement of facebook, Google etc...and...count on it....it will be shocking for some people...

edit on 10-6-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013
This is where we fall into a bit of a legal chasm that could go on and on. In a democratic society we are supposed to be free from monitoring by the state,

No - that is not a given at all - the definition of democracy includes no such limitation.

and the moment that trust is damaged there is a case against the government. If the threat is there, the people have a case whether they can prove that they personally have been targeted or not.

A generalised situation - trust in Govt is not actually a legal issue - and how do "they" determine if "the threat is there" if "they" are not taking steps to identify such threats?

This tactic was used in Germany in the 30's by the Nazis,

Godwin's Law strikes again!

the simple threat of being watched, reported, arrested, was enough to silence much of the press.

Who has been arrested? Who is being watched?

In fact given eth descriptions of the data being gathered there is no such activity going on at all.

The class action will come to nothing - PRISM is specifically allowed by law.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Larry Klayman is well known for things like this.

Larry Klayman, founder of Judicial Watch and Freedom Watch, is known for his strong public interest advocacy in furtherance of ethics in government and individual freedoms and liberties. During his tenure at Judicial Watch, he obtained a court ruling that Bill Clinton committed a crime, the first lawyer ever to have done so against an American president. Larry became so famous for fighting corruption in the government and the legal profession that the NBC hit drama series "West Wing" created a character after him: Harry Klaypool of Freedom Watch. His character was played by actor John Diehl.

In 2004, Larry ran for the U.S. Senate as a Republican in Florida's primary. After the race ended, he founded Freedom Watch.

Link to above.

PR Newswire Article Link

I applaud Senator Paul for effectively endorsing our lawsuit, and agree with him that it will serve as a vehicle to have tens and perhaps hundreds of millions of Americans rise up against government tyranny, which has grown to historic proportions. Even the New York Times has recently opined that the Obama administration has lost all credibility.

Since it's now known that the intrusions into peoples privacy has gone way beyond the intent of the Patriot Act, I expect this is just the start.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
We knew about the spying years ago when the guy in California killed his wife at Christmas and they used phone calls from weeks before to convict him. Nobody gave it a thought then where did they come up with recorded cell phone calls from weeks before

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

The suit appeared to be focused solely on the Verizon phone record "meta-data" debacle. It seems we'll need a new suit for the email/internet companies.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sankari

Obama, NSA, Verizon and DoJ are being sued for $3 billion in a class action lawsuit over PRISM scandal

Not really sure how to post this, but here is the website with the legal docs:

www.scribd.com...

LOL. Why aren't they suing Bush as well? After all, he's the guy who started this.

Anyway, it's not going to happen. This is just some nutjob's wishful thinking.

Klayman is likely best known for obtaining a court ruling that President Clinton had committed a crime. He's an activist who's views may not agree with others views, but I would not call him a nutjob.

I think what it driving this toward Obama is that Obama himself came out as opposed to this before his election and now is all for it. I don't subscribe to any Party and don't have a horse in this race, but yes it can be pointed out that both Bush and Obama stepped over the line, along with nearly all of Congress no matter what Party.

More on topic-

I see the real issue with all of this the idea of them storing our emails; all of them. I do not think the Patriot Act even allows for that. I do think the law has been knowingly broken with the full knowledge of the President, the Justice Dept. and Congress.

Moore and Glen Beck both opposing this should scream this is not a Partisan issue. This is an issue of have they gone too far and I say yes.

I think there will be many Class Actions filed and this most certainly needs to be reviewed by the Supreme Court.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Bassago

The washington post and the Guardian said on thursday that the NSA tapped directly into the servers of nine internet firms including Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Yahoo, so wouldn't that mean even If you use one of those you have the chance of being spied on?

Everybody is being spied upon full stop. The secret, 'foreign intelligence court order' which is the correct title, with 'foreign' dropped means nothing, since the eavesdropping is easily accomplished anyway. I'm on AOL UK, another compliant system, however there is nothing to say that that any ISP provider is now independant of these spooks.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Who has been arrested? Who is being watched?

That's the kicker now isn't it? If you were hooked up under this, we would never know. Therefore we could safely say no one ever gets arrested under this set of circumstances (I hesitate to use the word 'law')

PRISM is specifically allowed by law

Sure. The same folks who allocate funds for PRISM are the same folks who write the laws. It's easy to be lawful when you determine the laws.

In fact given eth descriptions of the data being gathered there is no such activity going on at all

Indeed. I trust that information especially from the same bunch who lied in front of Congress and via C-SPAN, every American.

www.forbes.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
reply to post by MidnightTide

Rand Paul: I’ll launch class-action suits to stop PRISM (with video)
hotair.com...

Go for it already! I bet he could easily get those 10 million plaintiffs as he suggested.

I already received his letter in my inbox, I signed his petition without hesitation. He is also talking to major tech companies and phone service providers to join in his class action lawsuit.

He won't be alone either, the current suit filed is from the ACLU. This thing is hitting the US Government and the Obama administration from all sides. Media, the people, the internet, the courts, anonymous, etc...

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

hotair.com...

Go for it already! I bet he could easily get those 10 million plaintiffs as he suggested.

And that POS will turn around and do exactly the same thing if he's elected. Because he's a liar and only says what people want to hear, just like most politicians.

reply to post by Dianec

Um scribb is a website that offers a database of legitimate documents, articles, books, etc. Not a fringe website by any means.

Back to the OP: Good. this needs to be fought tooth and nail. But give it a week, everyone will forget, it will be overshadowed by the next distraction, and life will go one. Alas.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Lets see.... 3 Billion divided by 330 Million people.....

Hey, OP? I think I'm getting kinda screwed in this deal, don't you?

Maybe this whole lawsuit concept isn't such a hot one after all.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Lets see.... 3 Billion divided by 330 Million people.....

Hey, OP? I think I'm getting kinda screwed in this deal, don't you?

Maybe this whole lawsuit concept isn't such a hot one after all.

From a few Google searches it seems Verizon may actually have more like 290 million customers (give or take).

And not all of them are US citizens. So that further complicates matters.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Yeah and 3 billion is a paltry sum if we are talking everyone that was a customer is invited to hop on board.
What is 3 billion to the mighty US Govt? A single B-2 Spirit stealth bomber plus upgrade packages? Just one of them?

Oh well, where is my 10$? Because that's what I am entitled to under this suit.

Instead of forcing them to pay for "damages" , a better goal would have been to "force them to stop doing it", maybe by naming names and charging them with crimes and taking them to court and putting them behind bars for essentially breaking the founding laws of the land.

That would have been cooler because really 10$ is a joke.
I can't even pay for a full month of letting them spy on me with that.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by Rocker2013
This is where we fall into a bit of a legal chasm that could go on and on. In a democratic society we are supposed to be free from monitoring by the state,

No - that is not a given at all - the definition of democracy includes no such limitation.

Thankfully we live in a Republic not a Democracy than.
Hah.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liquesence

hotair.com...

And that POS will turn around and do exactly the same thing if he's elected. Because he's a liar and only says what people want to hear, just like most politicians.

Based one what facts again? What has he lied about? I'm sure you have the evidence to back up your wild accusations or are you just grouping him with 'most politicians' because you only see the world in one color?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

As an aside to this topic. I called Verizon last Friday and finally got to talk to a manager. I asked, since Verizon broke the terms and conditions of their service contract with me, by giving my personal information to a 3rd. party. Would I be liable for the early contract termination fee of $350.00. I told him I thought Verizon would have a hard time in court trying to collect that fee from me, if I chose to cancel my service over that they have done.

He was basically speechless, and would only keep repeating to me..."I'm not allowed to discuss that subject". Never could get an answer from him.

Just thought I'd report my conversation with Verizon.

Des

edit on 11-6-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by muzzleflash

As an aside to this topic. I called Verizon last Friday and finally got to talk to a manage. I asked, since Verizon broke the terms and conditions of their service contract with me, by giving my personal information to a 3rd. party. Would I be liable for the early contract termination fee of $350.00. I told him I thought Verizon would have a hard time in court trying to collect that fee from me, if I chose to cancel my service over that they have done.

He was basically speechless, and would only keep repeating to me..."I'm not allowed to discuss that subject". Never could get an answer from him.

Just thought I'd report my conversation with Verizon.

Des

edit on 11-6-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

Thanks for the report.

Sounds like the Verizon customer service is in a firestorm. Hahaha.

That's awesome.

But hey AT&T and all the rest of the gang are totally in on this. This is a fact. It just isn't the big talk yet...

Here is a list of telecom companies in the US from wiki
wiki list

Can you name one that's actually innocent? I bet you cannot.
edit on 11-6-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   

I can only imagine what groups of people the government has put the highest level of surveillance over.

I can only hope they are keeping their focus on the scummiest ruffians.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join