It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Leprosy Case Reported In Republic Of Ireland In Modern Times

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
The first recorded case of leprosy in modern times was reported to the health authorities in the Irish Republic earlier this year.

The patient is a Brazilian who has been living in Ireland for several years. He had suffered a recurrence of his leprosy having first contracted it in Brazil, 10 years ago. Dr Connor Gallagher said it was a case that "one might have expected to encounter in the Middle Ages - not in a busy surgery in County Meath". The GP registrar who examined the man said he suffered from tuberculous leprosy or sarcoidosis. "The risk of contagion in new cases is small. However global eradication in recent years has proven difficult," he wrote in a medical magazine.

This is not a disease that I thought was still around, let alone show up in Ireland!

Link

edit on 10-6-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Embrace the diversity.

Multicultural utopia.

Ain't it great?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

The first recorded case of leprosy in modern times was reported to the health authorities in the Irish Republic earlier this year.

That's worded wrong...

It was the first recorded case of leprosy in the Irish Republic in modern times....

Leprosy is very rare, but it's been known to occur. Especially in endemic areas.

Not sure where you are getting the "fact" that it's the first case ever since medieval times. I think you are misreading it, and changing the words around.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Sorry just noticed that. It was unintentional, it's fixed now :-)

Yes its the first case recorded in the Republic of Ireland since 1981. It was quite common in Medieval times. I just got mixed up.

top topics

join