It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops setting up road blocks for voluntary DNA samples

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
How long before these are not "voluntary?'

blog.al.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
cutiepatooty said:

There may be a few answers at the top of this page....www.pire.org... ..
GlaxoSmithKline, Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.Dept of "Epidemiology" and Biostatistics..always be aware of connections.

link: blog.al.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Crikeys man, give a little info to the peanut gallery!

Here's a tidbit from the OP's link:

Off-duty St. Clair County deputies stopped cars at random at road block areas. The road blocks were marked with signs stating it was a paid survey. Cars stopped were asked for voluntary cooperation. Drivers were offered $10 for a mouth swab, and $50 for a blood test. If they refused, they were free to drive away.

Probably won't be voluntary much longer. The big corporations could expedite the process by requiring it for new hires. I'll even wager that newborns have been giving DNA samples for years and the data is being accumulated and stored in an unknown location we'll find out about in a few years time.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
It's just another probable cause stop so that they can find some kind of contraband on you or in your car. Why else would they do it in the form of a roadblock? If they were wanting voluntary DNA samples why not set up at the local mall, Wal-Mart, grocery store, or any other of a multitude of places.

What really puzzles me is that most states have laws that deal with impeding the flow of traffic, but the cops can just set up a roadblock and impede traffic in order to see if people want to voluntarily submit to a DNA swab? Something stinks of major BS with this story.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardiver
It's just another probable cause stop so that they can find some kind of contraband on you or in your car. Why else would they do it in the form of a roadblock? If they were wanting voluntary DNA samples why not set up at the local mall, Wal-Mart, grocery store, or any other of a multitude of places.

What really puzzles me is that most states have laws that deal with impeding the flow of traffic, but the cops can just set up a roadblock and impede traffic in order to see if people want to voluntarily submit to a DNA swab? Something stinks of major BS with this story.

You didn't read the article or you would know why they didn't setup at a wal-mart.
edit on 10-6-2013 by stopbeingnaive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by StoutBroux

Why? So people don't just comment based on that little piece of info?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The government should be paying us for our DNA when taken because is after all our personal property, the crocks in government are treating DNA like is something to be given freely, but is not is the property of the individuals.

Next time a cop ask if you want to give your DNA volutarity you should ask how much they are willing to pay you for it.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Anyone still thinking that those of us sounding the alarm a few years ago on the encroaching Police State, Fema Camps, RFID's, Destruction of the Constitution, privacy, human rights and the US turn to a dictatorship....still have anything to say?

I didn't think so.

And if you do...please bow to your new masters while the rest of us get ready.

Peace

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I give my D.N.A. away freely all the time Just not to cops.

I think if you offer to sell your D.N.A. to the cops it is called prostitution. I would advise against that.

On a more serious note this is ridicules. Most of Americans are so stupid they probably say $10.00 cool.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
My opinion is that it is a sort of sting operation. They will run the samples looking for matches to crimes. Then they will keep the dna in the system for future crimes. Either way it's a fishing expedition at tax payers expense!

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Magister

I'm not sure how that helps them if, and that's a big if, the samples are anonymous. Instead of having one unknown sample of DNA, they now have two. How does that help?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by stopbeingnaive

It wouldn't be anonymous if the license plate was noted during the swab test.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The government should be paying us for our DNA

They are. Didn't you read the article? They're offering $10 if you give a swab, and $50 if you give a blood sample.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Chances are good ,that if you've been a blood doner in recent years ,you're already in the data base.
For fifty bucks,in today's economy ,some people might jump on it,as long as they have nothing to worry about .
The problem is,DNA can now be faked . It's expensive ,but it can be done . So what if altered DNA samples match yours.
I believe there's one famous murder case like this. The DNA at the scene matches someone it cannot possibly match ?
I forget the details now .
DNA is no longer infallible .That's a problem
edit on 6/10/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Man oh Man if this isn't the making of the modern day Lee Harvey Oswald I don't know what else would be.

President is shot over pick a flipping issue, dna evidence points to a guy or two fingered from a Random DNA checkpoint cops randomly happened to set up. Guys are caught, president lives, and new laws are set into place making DNA cataloging legal for all living people to have their DNA sample coded and stored for future possible mess ups.

The future is framed.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

From the link in the OP:

the Office of Drug Control Policy is contributing funding and support for the study, which is going on in 60 sites around the nation.

And where do all those $10 and $50 payments come from? Who is funding this, really? GlaxoKlineSmith, the taxpayers or both?
edit on 10/6/13 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I read the article. It seems as if there have been other times when this type of road block has been used. 1973, 1986, 1996, and 2007. I believe the first two years listed would have nothing to do with DNA sampling, but the last two could be associated.

The article was clear when it stated the samples were tested for the possibility of substance impaired driving.

Any time you touch anything, you are leaving DNA evidence. And as stated earlier by the super mod masqua, there is nothing anonymous about this. They have the license plate number to perform the match.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by StoutBroux

such a road block is illegal, if i were stopped i would film and take it to court. it does not matter that the tests themselves are voluntary, this is a violation of one's rights to travel unmolested in public.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

Sorry I didn't catch that one, I guess they think our DNA is that cheap, well taking into consideration that the is a lot of money to be make with running a DNA data base they can kiss my bLatinoino bug because 60 dollar is not going to make it.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
And, of course, the purpose of having LEOs on scene is to give the implication that it is required by law or that the officer desires it or is compelling you to participate by intimidation.

That's why deputies were stopping motorists, and not, say, firemen or Shriners.

Further, you could have gotten the same results by simply posting a series of signs stating that you could pull into a testing station if you wanted to make $50. No road blocks, no deputy leaning in your car with his badge and weapon. If you want, pull into the parking lot. If not, keep going.

They tried crap like this in one place I lived where they got some National Guardies with unloaded rifles to stand along the side of the road and look mean, while local LEOs stopped cars and demanded to search them. If you objected, they'd let you through. But the implication was that you had to do it, and that if you did not, the guys with the automatic weapons might let you have it. It was touted as a means "to get guns off the street" and that it had worked wonders in Indianapolis. "Why, all the searches were voluntary! We just asked if we could get them to stand outside with their hands on their heads while we looked in their cars for contraband. They didn't have to LET us. We just ASKED"

Yeah. Right.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join