It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana schools' dilemma: Offer health insurance to part-timers or cut hours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Schools across Indiana are cutting back the hours of teacher assistants, bus drivers, cafeteria workers and other aides to avoid having to offer them health insurance under the federal health care employer mandate that begins next year. "We cannot go out and raise the price of our product to assist us covering this. We would have to go the taxpayers and ask for some type of increase and I just don't see that happening," said Les Huddle, superintendent of the Lafayette School Corporation, where more than 150 of the schools approximately 600 non-certified employees have had their hours reduced to meet the federal definition of part-time. The Shelbyville Central School System likewise is cutting back the hours of about 100 instructional aides as well as hours for some substitute teachers, bus drivers and coaches.
So, who didn't see this coming? Who doesn't understand that this will be replicated all across the country. The regime has effectively impoverished even more working people by forcing their employers to cut their hours. This travesty of a bill was designed to do two things imo. Bailout the insurance companies, and further tank our economy. This was never about helping people.

Link
edit on 10-6-2013 by DarthMuerte because: Forgot to add link

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

For the ones that were in favor of obamacare and voted for a democrat, they got what they deserved.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau

For the ones that were in favor of obamacare and voted for a democrat, they got what they deserved.
I agree 100%. I know some conservative owned businesses are choosing to cut obama voters first. IMO, it is just deserts. With public employees, the percentage of obama voters is likely higher. So, let em feel the pain. Maybe they will learn that elections have consequences. I doubt it though.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
So, who didn't see this coming?

The few that believed you really could have a free lunch?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
well at least they can apply for assistance and subsidies to pay for their own insurance

now they can be broke and be happy that their health insurance will never be denied.

oh...they can get tax credits too !!

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Here's just a sample of employers cutting staff or hours that I started in April. (I'm sure it's much longer now.)

Cook Medical
Hudson Valley Community College
Community College Of Allegheny County
Juicy Couture
Papa John’s
Wendy’s
Darden
Pizza Hut
Applebee’s
Dunkin Donuts
Wal-Mart
Publix
Target
Olive Garden
Kroger
Virginia
Youngstown State University
Akron, Ohio

Things to Say to an Obama Voter Who Just Got Laid Off
1. "Hey, at least that successful Mormon businessman didn't win."
2. "Didn't your lady parts warn you this would happen?"
3. "Look at the Bright Side, Gay marriage passed in four states."
4. "Hey, Big Bird still has a job. Isn't that the important thing?"
5. "I am sure Obama cares deeply about your situation. Maybe he'll send you a postcard from Hawaii."
6. "Well, look at the bright side, Rush Limbaugh is getting a massive tax increase."
7. "Hey! Now you'll have more time to play with your unicorn."
8. "Isn't it worth losing your job to know that religious organizations now have to pay for abortions and contraceptives?"
9. "Well, now you and Keith Olbermann have something else in common."
10. Hey! Now you get a free phone!
11. "Forward!"

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I know so many people that are getting less hours of work because of this. It is pathetic! It may look good on paper, but it is not going to help very much...if anything things could get worse. Lots of full time employees will suddenly be dropped to part time hours...which (among other things) would make it even MORE difficult to afford health insurance.

Its just ridiculous. Businesses don't want to spend any more of their profits than they have to. You'd think politicians would comprehend this.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Visceral

I can remember when 60-hour weeks and "seven 10s" were a great way to push up your income, if you wanted.
Even then, taxes killed you.
Those days are gone forever, I'm certain.

jw

top topics

join