It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VICE: Canadians Should Be Concerned About NSA And Prism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Source/Write-up:
www.vice.com...

Raw documents: Canada's 'top secret' data mining program
www.theglobeandmail.com.../follows/

In Canada, some people may not feel too alarmed by the revelations that Edward Snowden has brought to the public eye. For one, this is the work of the US Government, not the Canadian government. But it is crucial to remember that the respective sovereignty of citizens on the internet is blurry at best. For example, here is a map of where your communications go when you visit Facebook from, say, Toronto.

None of the data a Canadian stores on Facebook—their photos, check-ins, private messages, friends list, or event attendance records—is saved within Canada. This is all data that is living inside of American servers. For all intents and purposes, the internet as we know it is American owned. There is no Canadian alternative to Facebook that’s stored on encrypted servers, running from an ice floe somewhere in the arctic. We have willingly begun to trust all of our online conversations to American corporations, in an environment where the government has decided to break down the back doors of these websites and examine whatever they want, whenever they want. The same goes for Google.

Great article by the amazing guys over at VICE.com on how our data in Canada, when saved or requested, runs through the US regardless due to setup of the Hubs. Personally, this was no surprise to read by the 2nd article via Globe n Mail was pretty new to me. They can collect any search results, for it's all meta-tagged, and can be retrieved with or without a warrant via the ISP.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
S&F thanks for sharing this with us. I also found this a bit concerning...

What’s more is that the NSA is defending this leak by stating PRISM is only used to target non-US Citizens; a fact that should make PRISM even more concerning for Canadians.

I pity the fools who put their entire lives on the net over Facebook, Twitter and those other sites. So much personal information can be gathered about you it's pretty alarming.

But, try telling that to most people and you get the usual "Well, I have nothing to hide" automated response...

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
This canadian has been very "concerned" this was happening ever since operation echelon was revealed.....
the truth being if you were stupid enough to think your data isnt recorded by US mega computers and "shared "with CSIS yer stupid indeed.....

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
hear is what I am not getting about PRISM and the coverage its getting.

why on earth have you guys, "conspiracy theorists" (for want of a better phrase) not been going on about this since 1988 when Duncan Campbell published his article "Somebody's listening" or then Nicky Hangers book " Secret Power - New Zealand's Role in the International Spy Network" oh and lets not forget the 2001 document form the EU about the threat of this "international spy network" poses to industry and as if that wasn't enough there have been a spate of other books on the subject.

I really don't quite understand why people are ranting now about PRISM when in reality is is probably just a extension of a much larger network, ECHELON!

And yes Canadian CSE are also part of that UKUSA agreement that feed into ECHELON.

Again my biggest issue with PRISM is not that its potential rather it's the way the conspiracy community is now going on about this like its the biggest SIGINT story in history or that it is some grand "disclosure" of whats "really going on".

We have known that this kind of stuff has been going on since the late 1980's!

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
love how we have been told not to worry about it in the states as it is the rest of the world they are spying on. perhaps the "rest of the world should" start a class action lawsuit against the United states government, NSA, CIA and any other governmental agencies involved, and those that work for them over this, massive invasion of privacy.

then on top of that criminal charges should be brought against the same parties, from each other country based on things like violating "wiretapping" and privacy laws in each of those countries.

it's one thing to "spy" on other governments, but quite another to "spy" on every citizen on the planet.

top topics

join