It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people still believe that UFO's are alien?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
There is literally no way we can know for sure until we have full disclosure, even if someone came to us with a real video of an extraterrestrial we would still doubt it due to the amount of fakes out there.

Although I cannot wait for full disclosure myself, I will miss all these interresting debates...
There will be nothing to argue about on this subject.

actually scratch that... We are Human, we will find something to argue about.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by micpsi

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by sulaw

What about the cosmos? Think there's any with enough tech to make it billions of light years across the cosmos to study and monitor us?

I don't know.

But finding little old us in that great big cosmos might prove to be a bit problematic even if they could make the trip.

What makes you think it was ever a question of finding us in one trip? You really beg the question. But then debunkers always do. ETs could have been travelling through space for thousands or even millions of years. They did not find us after one trip. They found us by accident after millions of forays out into space. You raise phony problems in order to maintain a phony position. It's a totally discredited tactic used by debunkers.

If our nearest star, (which is about 4.2 light years away) was inhabited by a much more advanced race of intelligent beings who could travel at the speed of light, it would take around 4.2 years for them to travel to us.
For us to travel to them with the technology we currently have (which hasn't changed much in over 40 years, speed wise) it would take around 40,000 - 50,000 years.

Everyone's heard various physicists, state that with the size of the universe the probability of there being advanced intelligent beings out there is quite high.
So to ask 'do they exist' isn't a stupid question, it's more just mental masturbation.

That's why I think threads like this usually cascade into endless arguments.
Is it fun to try and have a debate where there's no physical, proven evidence from the believer's side?
The same retort, "Anything can be possible in the future" is true, but it's boring.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't understand why threads that ask completely unanswerable questions are started...
No offence to the OP.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Given the rate of which the size of the now known universe is expanding due to new technologies, the increasing number of planets being found in the goldilocks zone and the equations stating that there may be millions in just this galaxy we are moving inexorably towards a point where the possibility of life elsewhere is a statistical certainty.

If its a million to one odds against there being life elsewhere and a million to one of it being intelligent life and another million to one they are space travellers and yet another million to one they would visit us...
Compared to the infinity of the universe and the close to infinite stars in literally countless galaxies then a million to one is not a big deal.

Its a probabilty....

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by supermarket2012

If the person is mentally sound, has no reason to lie, maintains a job, and their story doesn't have provable holes in it.....what on Earth is missing, from your point of view?

Put simply: We cannot trust our eyes.

Of course it gets more complicated than that but that's the heart of the problem.
You don't have to be mentally unstable to be fooled. And it doesn't mean you are lying. The fact that you believe you saw what you think you saw doesn't mean you did.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 6/12/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)[/edit-by]

I recently had a similar experience while looking up at Venus. The other guy swore it was moving! I always thought Venus was a lame explaination but it's true.

Not only can you not trust your eyes (really your brain), memory is even more untrustworthy. Just take note of the things you swore you remember that didn't actually happen. False memories are probably more common then we realize. That's why it's a good idea to take pictures. extra DIV

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZetaRediculian

Good catch...
My general mindset is that they very well could be alien vehicles but its just not proven without a doubt. Personally, I'm not convinced we are being visited, although its possible. So if I'm trying to figure out the likelihood of any given sighting being due to an alien craft, I can't since I know of no known alien crafts visiting earth. However, I can work with a whole bunch of other "confirmed" misidentifications. Speculation on some unknown thing being due to aliens seems pointless although, fun.

Thanks...My general approach to Alien Claims and Sightings....
FIRST Assume...misidentification of usual aircraft, optical illusion, weather phenomena, poorly understood phenenoma (swamp gas/magnetic fields etc), hoax, and terrestrial experimental craft that the government might not acknowledge or combinations of all.

Examine the evidence for all of those things...If none of them "appears" to rationally explain the occurance...THEN what we have is a UFO, but not neccessarily "Alien". An unidentified flying object of some sort.

From there the possibility remains open that it could be an alien craft, since I do strongly believe (not know) that technologically advanced extra-terrestrial life exists in abundance.

On the ATS boards I first bring a tonnage of skepticism and questions to any "sighting" reported. Only in rare instances do I come away thinking what remains after scrutiny warrants the open possibility of genuine "alien" craft.

BTW - The last time I left a "sighting" case feeling a strong possibility of genuine sighting was the O'Hare UFO sighting.

Multiple winesses...ranging from passengers to pilots to ground aircraft mechanics to air-traffic controllers.

Enough to briefly panic Air-Traffic Controllers as to the safety of the aircraft.

Strangley the FAA immediately denied that any airport employees (Pilots or Air Traffic Controllers) had observed anything. Only after a Chicago Tribune reporter filed a Freedom Of Information Request, did the FAA recant and admit that a percieved flying object was seen and discussed by Air Traffic Control, Ground Mechanics and Pilots etc.

Witnesses also described that when the object left at near impossible high speed it "punched a hole" in the clouds above the airport.

These witnesses, interviewed by a Tribune Reporter who had no opinion on UFOs etc, went on record and were trained pilots and ground mechanics...folks who spend thier life around terrestrial aircraft and are unusually qualified by neccessity at spotting unusual weather etc.

The witnesses were all consistant in thier testimony...and what they described...it did not fall into hoax, illusion, or weather phenom etc. I leave the door open that it was a gov. experimental craft, but if it was they endangered commercial airline flights by hovering over the worlds busiest airport...and I am not convinced gov. craft can move at the speed described.

Anyways...the O'hare UFO case is the one that I have a hard time debunking...given the number of trained, credible, witnesses all describing the same phenomena which did not behave within the bounds of terrestrial craft and technology.

www.ufoevidence.org...
edit on 12-6-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

You need to understand that proof and knowing has three states:

True
Not-true
Undecided

Also, as for probabilistic proof, you need to dig deeper.

What is an alien anyway? IDB? ETB? Something else? Nobody knows.

What is clear that c. 3-5% of cases are extremely difficult to IFO, even though you try hard.

Those are the cases that put one into Yes or undecided camp, depending on where one draws the line of burden of proof.

Those who staunchly say "absolutely untrue", usually haven't looked at the possible evidence long, hard and truthfully enough, and are either operating from ignorance, dogma or both.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I think alot of people want to equate "aliens" with humans, and try to understand it with a perception and a mind that just might not up to par for the task.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The real question is why do people see these UFOs that are are indentfied as a flying disc and triangular objects going at unheard of speeds.
UFOs I saw was triangular and I also saw a oval green and yellow oval disc object as well as a circle blue object disc object all in one night and nothing like it ever happened to me again.Lasted for 45 mins.
Was also in the newspaper of 100's of eyewitnesses the following day.
So I actually identified the shape of the UFOs,but don't know who or what they are or where they came from.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

here is one i saw from about a stone throw away,,,
i actually got a pic,,, pretty bad one, but still,,,
its a car sized saucer shaped with a dome in the center,
it was stupid classical looking,,
here you go!

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by solve

That is an ink blot test...not evidence of anything.

Not to discount what you saw...but that pic??? C'mon...

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
People are funny. On one hand, they worry that "we're alone" in the universe, with no other like-minded creatures to admire us for our accomplishments or fear us for our aggressiveness. On the other hand, nobody on Earth is truly "alone" to begin with, thanks to the nearly 7 billion other people on the planet they could interact with if they wanted to.

People imagine the wonders of meeting an alien with a strange culture and different ways of defining life and reality. But most don't want to bother with looking very deeply into a culture or religion different than their own (or their own, for that matter) to see what it's really about.

People like the idea of flying around the galaxy in a spaceship, watching strange sunsets on distant planets. But they also generally won't take the time to look at a beautiful sunset from their own back yards. No cumbersome spacesuit required.

So I guess the upshot is that UFOs allow people to project all these wonderful or frightening things on the "alien" piloting the craft without ever actually having to face their own childish or hypocritical thoughts about real life as they're living it right now. A UFO can be whatever you want it to be, and a lot of people want it to be some fantastic alien. It's all potential and no consequences.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This is interesting-

www.ufocasebook.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

While there are such people, it is also a small minded blanket statement. There are plenty of people who travel and who learn in depth about other cultures.

The western world is a whole melting pot, established over thousands of years.The things we consider our 'own' culture, are really very often imported, as are the majority of the inhabitants of the western world. For example, the UK, for centuries enduring migrations from various places across Europe, peoples who's origins were probably in the near / middle east, followed by centuries of invasions from Romans, Vikings, Normans, Anglo Saxons, then the cultural influx from Jews, Huguenots, Eastern Europeans, Indians, Italians etc etc until the present day where there is more immigration than is sensible.

The national favourite dishes sway from curry (Indian origins) to fish and chips (a tradition imported by Jews), people eat Pasta on a regular basis, Chinese food regularly.The main religions practiced have their origins in the middle East (Christianity, Judaism, Sikh, Muslim) or far East (Hindu, Buddhism). We import more than we export, food and other consumer products. The technology we use often originates from Japan and Korea. The perfume industry originated in the Middle and Far East, plenty of the products for the production of commercial perfumes still originates there, and so on and so forth. Our 'English' language is based on Latin, Greek, Arabic, High German and French more than anything that originated in the lands of the UK prior to the Roman invasion.

While some people are culturally ignorant, it is probably a result of upbringing, society, and education, they are, whether they realise it or not, living an existence where very much of their culture and daily lives have their direct origins from other cultures and lands.

Such ignorance spans a general spectrum and not just in awareness of other cultures, it is probably intentional on the parts of governments, a well educated, cultured population wouldn't follow blindly nor participate in offering their lives in pointless wars.

The fact that there are more than likely more intelligent beings in the universe that more than likely have and are visiting Earth is interesting to many, but to those that are blinkered to a lot of things, this is possibly part of their 'taboo' area that covers many things, where even if they wanted to, straying from their particular networks belief system could be seen as inviting stigmatism and being considered an outcast of sorts, they are perhaps following their own social code 'ethics', however unethical they may be.

The world could use an ethical revolution though with so many differing cultures believing in vastly differing beliefs, to varying degrees, it may not be very likely, nor all that wise, yet. Truthful historical education would be a major revelation to most.

Ironically a real disclosure would put paid to most of the worlds differences and is potentially a 'Godsend'. A major revelation and indisputable alien contact / appearance / influence is probably exactly something society requires and perhaps the fact this is becoming more and more of a mainstream topic and accepted more and more as a reality, is something that is pending, soon.
edit on 12-6-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

A simple test can confirm that.

Can you really trust your eyes all the time?

I think this is what Phage means. Our senses have limits and if somebody is smart enough to exploit them he can make a fool out of you.
edit on 12-6-2013 by bitsforbytes because: I am only human

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Why do people still believe they are Alien......

Well its quite simple, UFO Sightings have been seen throughout history, Its not a modern thing!
And since we humans only started flying at the beginning of the 19th Century that means pre 1900 sightings must be from somewhere else.

A good example - UFO 'battle' over Nuremberg, Germany in 1561 - They describe the kinds of UFOs we still see to this day. Discs, Cigars and Orb Lights

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

First serious post.

So many people believe this to be true. They can't understand why others don't believe.

Is there even on scrap of evidence to prove it? I wanted to believe for so long. But over the years the fakes have killed my belief. How do you still believe??

What do you consider evidence? It seems to me, and correct me if I am wrong, that you feel only an alien ship landing on the White House lawn, or someone capturing an alien, or something along those lines, would suffice as evidence.

There have been people put to death or sentenced to life in prison with the same sort of evidence that is produced for UFOs. So.. it's good enough for a court of law, but it's not good enough when it comes to UFOs? Why not?

If an aircraft seen in our past, say 50 or 60 years ago, exhibits maneuvers or feats no craft on our planet is even close to producing, why is it such a leap of logic to assume humans didn't make it? They often are seen in conjunction with the military.. but they are NOT the military.. because the military reported them as UFOs! Following aircraft, seen on radar and by witnesses both, seen at nuclear plants where there have been shutdowns of critical systems or interference in missile tests, etc. Also are often seen over major cities in the U.S. - i.e. they are not "black projects" as people who are quick to label them, when they have no other ready explanation to give.

There are tens of thousands of images, video, eyewitness reports, radar hits, multiple witness events, etc. over the year. And like I said.. where much of that would stand up in court, it has no room it seems, for people who don't want to believe it's impossible for such a phenomena to be present around our planet.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

There have been people put to death or sentenced to life in prison with the same sort of evidence that is produced for UFOs. So.. it's good enough for a court of law, but it's not good enough when it comes to UFOs? Why not?

Because at least when something comes to trial there is evidence of a crime. A body or something. And we know that people commit crimes.

But you're right, people have been executed and sentenced to life in prison, often times wrongly so. With the same sort of evidence.

edit on 6/12/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

Very good point and I have to add on this thread.

I think a large part of society has been conditioned not to believe in UFOs, some wish to see for themselves and won't believe until they do. This is of course outwith all the over-whelming evidence in documents/files that:

A: Does include details of a cover up dating back at least 60 years and,
B. Includes a lot of witness evidence of strange, unexplained objects in the sky.

Those two things are at least certain imo, but of course it doesn't matter. Those who believe in such nonsense must be crazy loonies, least that's how the media plays it

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

People are funny. On one hand, they worry that "we're alone" in the universe, with no other like-minded creatures to admire us for our accomplishments or fear us for our aggressiveness. On the other hand, nobody on Earth is truly "alone" to begin with, thanks to the nearly 7 billion other people on the planet they could interact with if they wanted to.

People imagine the wonders of meeting an alien with a strange culture and different ways of defining life and reality. But most don't want to bother with looking very deeply into a culture or religion different than their own (or their own, for that matter) to see what it's really about.

People like the idea of flying around the galaxy in a spaceship, watching strange sunsets on distant planets. But they also generally won't take the time to look at a beautiful sunset from their own back yards. No cumbersome spacesuit required.

So I guess the upshot is that UFOs allow people to project all these wonderful or frightening things on the "alien" piloting the craft without ever actually having to face their own childish or hypocritical thoughts about real life as they're living it right now. A UFO can be whatever you want it to be, and a lot of people want it to be some fantastic alien. It's all potential and no consequences.

I think this is very insightful.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Why do people still believe that UFO's are alien?

A UFO is an unidentified flying object. Until the identity of the object can be established it must be assumed that
it is alien. Alien meaning it is strange and unknown as to nature and origin. Whether it represents alien beings or some type of physical or psychic manifestation remains unknown and speculative - but until known and identified it
should be, in fact must be, considered A-L-I-E-N.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join