It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people still believe that UFO's are alien?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I never asked you, per se, but addressed that to the forum as an open question (check page 10). Anyway, most folks skip pages and read selected stuff.

And no, I didn't ignore your question. Was that addressed to me or someone else?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheEthicalSkeptic
The Eleven Big Lies - which you must accept, which are compulsory and implied, when a discussion leap-frogs to the "universe is too big" talking point one-liner.

1. The proponent understands the entire limits of cosmological physics, personally.

As the saying goes, we know what we know and we don't know what we don't.
Simplistic, but it arrives at the point well enough. For now our grasp of physics works well enough, but are always trying to expand that knowledge.

2. "little old us" self generated on this planet

Evidence shows this to be likely, yes. Still in development, but all signs post to this being the likely candidate.

3. "little old us (as life) " existed for 2.4+ billion years unnoticed

Unnoticed by who? How would we know what external forces have noticed?

4. The cosmos is big to all observers

Well..it is. Big place. But then again, so is Europe to a single eye.

5. Space travel is accomplished by Newtonian stainless steel appliances

That would be awesome, but unlikely. Still, makes for good sci-fi. Battlestars and Empire Class starships...hell, even a tardis would be awesome.

6. "They" is a definable being

Yes. it is defined as they. as in not us/from here. Pretty simple really.

7. "They" is limited to the same limitations as humans

who says that? A fun game is to contemplate what other alien races may look like / be like. From flying monkeymen to near deitys.

8. Only our sentiently detected sets of dimensions and frame of reference exist

and not all that well at that. Granted, my dog may see into the 8th dimension, but she has yet to tell me about it.

9. There is no means of travel which eludes the repeatably measurable grasp of our scientists

This is laughably inaccurate and not believed by anyone outside of the most simple minded. We are still working on the combustion engine and are barely scratching the surface of nuclear powered engines. Most people in propulsion realize we are still at the very early / fetus stages of development

10. We have been given ethical sets of information on the subject

?
We have a understanding of what has been done and accomplished so far and so find it easier to build on top of that. Doesn't mean other areas aren't being investigated. Funding is proportional to success. Simply put, we may not have the proper tools developed yet to work on other forms of science. In order to preform heart surgery, we must first develop a scalpel sort of thing.

11. Everyone is ethically and innocently here looking for the facts and waiting for the proof.

I give the benefit of the doubt to most. looking for facts and waiting for proof is a good stance

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
People believe UFO's are alien for the same reasons they believe God actually made some form of contact with men. People want to believe that their life is part of something greater. And the answer is- that it is. Unfortunately, with the cosmos account of time, a hundred thousand years is a whisper in the wind. And the likelihood that you or I will be alive to observe any type of monumental event regarding contact, or any other means of identifying ourselves as being part of something greater such as a scientific discovery, is one in a hundred trillion.

I want to believe in everything; god, aliens, magic, vampires, etc. Unfortunately we forget just how insane it is to realize just how rare of a creature our earth is. And that keeps me from actually believing in anything but what is likely. Im pretty sure there is intelligent life out there, but I doubt we have or will ever make contact while we still look like the humans we do today. Perhaps in a few hundred thousand millennium... just the blink of an eye.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I'd like to BELIEVE Aliens visit earth, and are interested in us, as a species.
However, I have a hard time applying logic to that belief.

I've seen UFO's. On three seperate occasions. It was unexplainable. It still is. Is it Aliens?
I'd like to think so - but the evidence (rather, lack of evidence) suggests that it isn't.
We don't have concrete proof of Alien bodies, or Alien contact, or Aliens landing in central park or the White House saying 'Here we are!'

And at this stage in the game, that's what it is going to take to make a believer out of me.

In the 1960's OXCART (later the SR-71 Blackbird) was the greatest technology we had (that we know of). Fast foward 50 years, I think anti-gravity and other advanced technologies is certainly within our grasp.

Would something like OXCART have even been thought of as technically possible in 1910?

Food for thought.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5
reply to post by SaturnFX

I'll agree with that. Also...It is likely that any advanced civilization found other planets with life prior to us, and has long ago established policy for such encounters. There would be nothing here on earth that would demand contact, ...interest maybe, but not contact.

That moves from general assumptions based on likelihood to motivation. I don't know/cant assume any alien motivation (as it is alien after all).
For all we know, the creation of the Dorito shelled taco may be the trigger for alien contact..or foamy beer. Maybe television (mass communication), or etc..
Hard to say what such an event that would warrant official contact would be (however, if I had to guess, star trek has a good idea on that...that being warp drive, or some method of getting outside of a solar system.)

But ya...if I was observing a tribe of monkeys in some jungle and suddenly they did something wildly impressive, like start building airplanes..it might be time to make contact..if only because they might fly their monkey planes over to civilization and get frightened..or go into ape rage and attack

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by peashooter

therefore ET's is as good a guess as anyone else's"

That is quite twisted.

Other guesses might be things known to exist so I would say known existence is more relevant than something of unknown existence if the case comes to the unknown conclusion, but to further attempt to use unknowns for verification is a twisted logic in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by zeeon

Yeah I've seen my eyes play tricks on me before and I still believe what I saw when I was about 12 years old to be true: Two lights the size of stars in the sky as they circled to create the symbol of infinity before disappearing in a flash. Would aliens have done this? Not unless they are stupid. Could humans do this? Absolutely not. Not at that altitude, not at those speeds, and not with those maneuvers.

The question is what was it? Probably my eyes playing tricks on a late night while I stared into the sky.

But when I pointed it out to my father and sister they began to tremble in fear. My sister ran screaming. Imbeciles...

I guess there are infinite possibilities, and the only two I can fathom are the least likely.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthSeekersRUS
Why do people say that UFO's are alien?

Because they have no idea what UFO means. Ask anyone what a UFO is, and they will say ET.

A UFO could be a plane one cannot name...

A UFO could be under sea with luminescence that one cannot name. Therefor it is a UFO.. Or, in these terms. A UWFO.

When was the last time you flew in water?

How does one fly in water?

Or does the F in UWFO and UFO mean something else in this case?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw

I'm only aiming at the 100% alien crowd. The ones that never question anything.

So what's the point of the thread? To help people who don't question, start questioning?

So where's your proof that they don't exist?

edit on 10-6-2013 by sulaw because: (no reason given)

I don't think he is saying they don't exist, I think he's saying there really is no evidence that they are extra-terrestrial. I think he has a point: what's to say they are not extradimentional or from a "hollow earth" civilization or simply advanced but hidden tech?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The government Propaganda department has done a Very good job of burying UFO stories.
It is like a needle in a hay stack.
you can not find the true stories for all the crap!
and the people with the true stories look like fools.

Face it They have won.
with YOUR help!

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dominar
I believe that there is definitely life out there, intelligent life... I also believe that most of the UFO sightings are probably our own technology that is being kept away from the public because it would remove the stranglehold that the energy companies have on us.

When I used to hear "UFO", I automatically thought of Aliens like some sort of Pavlovian response to the term. I'm not sure, but there seems to be some sort of agenda to constantly link UFOs to Aliens in the media and entertainment...

We have enough problems with immigration through boats, and airplanes. Can you imagine what would happen if there was hyperspeed flight across the planet?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Perhaps planet earth is nothing more than "the back forty" of some alien ranch and once our world population reaches number X, they will show up and eat us all...

Sorry...couldn't resist

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

I am sure other members have stated this but there is no way to know for sure if they have visited us but to deny that they exist at all is a pretty bold statement to make. Considering the universe is enormous and if we can come to exist who has the right to say or declare that other life cannot exist. Even if we are just an "accident" for lack of a better word.

This accident may happen multiple times in different galaxies or perhaps even in our own. The fact of the matter is no one can say 100% either way and this is, like another member stated, just like the atheism/deism argument as well.

Just because no one can prove they do exist doesnt mean they dont and vice versa. Just because no one can prove they dont exist doesnt mean they do. We just have to be aware that we DONT KNOW.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

BTW Science Friday on NPR had a great program on SETI. AN interview with the woman who Jodie Foster's Character in "Contact" was loosely based around (Jill Tarter).

She compared our current search for Alien life to walking up the Ocean, dipping an 8 oz. glass in, holding it up and saying...nope..no life.

She also commented on how WHAT we look for in signals mights be completly the wrong technology...otherwise, aliens might use a technology for communication that we haven't even discovered yet. We might have alien signals bombarding the earth on daily basis...but we don't have the scientific or technological advancement to "hear" them.

sciencefriday.com...
edit on 11-6-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Are you nuts?
Go watch sirius,or travel abit around the world,read some history.

If you even doubt that they exist, it pretty much says it all

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Experience is as good as it gets... but then like someone in this thread said.... our government got a lot to explain.

Proof to me is proof to me but can I prove to you? I doubt it. unless I got a concrete evidence.

I myself have witnessed a triangle UFO just up there moving slowly. Is that of alien origin or some government experiment.. that I can't prove to youl

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I don't believe they are alien, I believe that they originally came from earth. The aliens may look a little weird after being gone for so long but oh well. Maybe we are the ones that look weird, after all we don't look like any other animal on earth.....well maybe we sort of resemble a turtle out of it's shell

I think all life on this planet may have originated somewhere else originally. DNA in spacerocks or comets.
edit on 11-6-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Archirvion

Are you nuts?
Go watch sirius,or travel abit around the world,read some history.

If you even doubt that they exist, it pretty much says it all

I think doubt is sane thinking. It is the absolutists that are insane, ones that deride skeptics or believers without engaging substance, logic or reason.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

By "alien" I presume that we are referring to non-terrestrial intelligent lifeforms?

So, by implication, is the question - Do aliens actually exist? or is it Do aliens visit earth?

Many thousands of "unexplained UFO" reports have been documented, so I think that it can be reasonably assumed that UFO's exist within Earth's environs?

If the question is "Do aliens actually exist?" then I would look in the direction of Mathematical statistics for an answer...
Life exists (in many forms) on planet Earth. Fact.
The number of other planets is vast.... trillions upon trillions that we know of, and countless more beyond that.
The chances of life happening on this one speck of rock, and NOWHERE else, out of trillions and trillions of possibilities seems to me, to be approaching zero.
So, the chances of there being other life "out there" somewhere would seem to be pretty high.

"Do aliens visit Earth?"
There is lots of anecdotal evidence to suggest that several "alien" races have visited Earth.
Many personal testimonies of sightings and abductions, but very little in the way of concrete proof.
There have been strange and much unexplained side effects of "alien contact" such as weird marks, burns, implants etc But nothing which can be positively proved as being "alien".

Could they visit Earth?
We can't say for sure either way, but we can't be so blinkered as to think that "they" would be burdened by the same limitations as we are.
We have no way of knowing the extent of their intelligence or technology, their spiritual and inter-dimensional capabilities, their motivation or reasoning for wanting to come here.
They could be vastly more developed than we are.
They could have access to technology that allows them to travel infinite distances in an instant.
They might be aware that we are here because they have such advanced monitoring and sensory capabilities that they heard our very first radio transmissions.
They may even have chosen a barren Earth as a garden planet millions of years ago, and engineered or seeded life here for their own purposes... food? amusement? experiment? Maybe they did it for a bet??

Because many people have good reason to believe, that there is some evidence to suggest, that aliens exist (somewhere) and that they "could" have visited Earth.

Why do some people still believe that "ALL" UFO's are alien?
Because they haven't researched the subject properly or because they are too blinkered to accept the fact that there are mis-identifications, fakes, advanced secret military tech etc.

Good topic btw.

GTD

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It's the thought that an uncountable amount of galaxies with an uncountable number of stars with and uncountable number of planets...and we're alone. What we have seen in the skies, movements that break every law of physics (obviously not ours) From painting on caves to ancient intelligent human races, this is a "fable" that has endured millennium. There really is more evidence proving they have been/are here than there is proving they don't exist.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join