It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahweh...Enki in disguise?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I want to look at the identification that has been made by scholars of Mesopotamia that the Hebrew God Yahweh is derivative of the Sumerian God Enki, or more particularly the Akkadian name Ea, in the context of conspiracy, on the part of Enki.

In the first part i will lay out the evidence that is cited to make this identification, and in a second part consider the nature of this conspiring and its implications.

The Sumerian name En-Ki implied 'Lord of the Earth', the Akkadian E-A signified probably 'House of Water', Enki was a God of the celestial and terrestial waters, and a Creator God of the Earth.

Eyah asher Eyah’ - `I am (the one) who is called Eyah’ – the name of Ea in its West Semitic (Hebrew) form.

Today millions unknowingly honor Enki/Ea/Ayya, "the trickster god" in his "new guise" as Yahweh/Ehyeh

The case has been made for over a century, but in recent times excavations at Ebla in Syria near Harran gave fresh support to the study

Ebla provided evidence that it had been a regional superpower, and that its political and economic control and influence covered an extensive area. Commercial treaties were found with states stretching from Ur near the Persian Gulf, to Ashdod and Lachish in the south of Palestine, from Akaba on the Red Sea, to Kanesh in Asia Minor, and with Niniveh and Asshur.

The language of these cuneiform texts was described as "Paleo-Canaean", and shows strong linguistic affinities with later Phoenician, Hebrew, Ugaritic and Aramaean. Thus, Eblaíte is the earliest member of the family of North West Semitic languages from which Hebrew would later arise

It was seen that name components containing El were being replced by those of YH, in contexts related to ground water

Another factor of greatest interest is the appearance in the tablets of theophoric names. The earlier names appear with component elements as "- il", combining names with El, the head of the later Canaanite Pantheon. With the increased contact with Mesopotamia another element began to replace El and "- yh" (corresponding to "Yah" and as Bottero shows, this appears used in places where in a Southern Mesopotamian context the name "Ea" would have been usedthere was a struggle over who controlled the wells upon which the city depended in summer - El or Ea (the new arrival, the divinity of ground water arriving from Southern Mesopotamia)

And that while the Semitic cult of Ea originated from Southern Mesopotamia,

These names constitute evidence of the arrival of a new southern divinity whose name and attributes slowly henceforth move away from the Southern Mesopotamian identity and context in the subsequent periods in which connection with Southern Mesopotamia was broken (for example the Gutean Period) that followed the collapse of Akkad.

He argues that a memory of the fundamental nature of Yah as a rival of El and his champion Baal Hadad persisted, and thatgrafted onto this theogony was the Hurrian tale of Noah which in turn had used Ea

Direct contact between the source of the cult and the off-shoot amongst the North Western Semites is at a certain point severed, and the latter goes off in it's own direction.

Clearly if Yah was disputing the power of El alreadyin Ebla, as Pettinato suggests he was moving significantly away from the conception of Ea held in Mesopotamia

Yah started becoming a Lord of Heaven and a God of Light, far before Persian times

Ebla definitely launched the Canaanite version of Ea/Yah on a different trajectory than the Mesopotamian one

When one considers the often made comparisons between the Sumerian myths and those found in Genesis, one finds there the bias toward Enki

Enki/Ea
Sits upon a throne decorated with pots from which flow two streams of water, indicating he is the source of the earth's streams of freshwater.

Yahweh
Sits upon a throne portrayed as being over a stream of freshwater that leaves the temple in Jerusalem and travels eastward to the Dead Sea, rejuvenating it.

The “Myth” of Adapa
Food conferring immortality, a god denying man immortality, the acquisition of forbidden knowledge.

The story of Genesis
Food conferring immortality, God denying man immortality, the acquisition of forbidden knowledge.

“Enki, the contender...En of cunning, the shrewd one of the land, sage of the gods, gifted in thinking, the En of Eridu, change the speech of their mouths, he having set up contention in it, in the human speech that had been one.”

Yahweh/El
Confounded man's single language because of their hubris in building the Tower of Babel.

Enki/Ea
Warned Ziusudra (or Utnapishtim) of an impending Flood that would destroy the world and all of mankind. Telling him to save himself and the seeds of all living things by building a boat.

Yahweh/El
Warned Noah of an impending Flood that would destroy the world and all of mankind. Telling him to save himself and all the animals by building a boat.

One can also note that the cultic number of Enki was 40, found throughout the Bible as a key periodic, whether in terms of days or years.

There are tensions between Enki and Enlil found in Sumerian myth, this appears as full blown conflict in the Semitic versions

The contention between Yaw and his brother Baal-Hadad is the Ugaritic version of the rivalry between Enki/Ea and his brother Enlil. The heavenly father aspect attributed to Bull-El is their version of Anu ‘God of the Heavens” from Sumerian theology.

the Hebrews generally challenged or refuted Mesopotamian notions, so instead of enumerating these gods and goddesses as personas of Yahweh, they were altogether "dismissed" as idols of wood and stone and not gods at all, there was only one god, Yahweh

Professor Hilprecht (1903) on Enki/Ea, the "god of the earth and sea," being called Ya or Yi (perhaps alluding to Professor Hommel's proposal that Ea is Ya?) and being the moon-god of Haran where Terah and Abraham took up residence after leaving Ur.

"...in the Aramean city Haran, the moon (Yi, Ya, or Sin) was the chief deity, being represented as male. The ancient Babylonian god of the earth and sea in the Semitic-Babylonian texts got the surname Ya, while Sin was received in the pantheon as a deity distinct from Ya- these facts belong to the later syncretism and are evidently due to West Semitic, Arabian influence."

The evidence then suggests that Ea having become established amonst the North Western Semites goes on to become their Supreme God to the exclusion of all others, and that the Hebrews in particular become his chosen people, in order to establish his grand design, and it must also be noted that his original origins have been well and truly obscured such that the trickster is almost unrecognisable.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.bibleorigins.net...

dir.groups.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The question then in my opinion, having demonstrated that Enki has established himself as the One and only Supreme Deity of the Bible based religions, through the actions of his chosen people, is what on Earth he's playing at, and why the apparant break away from the rest of the Sumerian Pantheon to go it alone...?

The answer for me has to be found in Sumerian tradition, that the seeds for these actions over the past 4,000 years or so would have to have had been sown there, and accordingly i would look at the loss of the Mes tablets, that granted authority, to Inanna, who charmed him out of them, and from whom he failed to recover them, due to Ninsubur Minister of Inanna, withstanding the Demons that Enki sent to recover them.

In short Enki probably never got over that and set about proving a point...in mythological terms.

When such stories were written the Cult of Inanna was the greatest in the Near East, but it was the cults derivative of Enki, for example that of Marduk his son, that brought it to a reduced state, and the writings of the chosen people that reduced it to Theological irrelevance, her final status being that of Demonic nuisance.

The first stages in this decline would have involved violation of the integrity of the Goddess Temple Priestess' and servant girls, to the extent that by the clssical period such Temples were nothing more than disreputable whore houses, as i outlined here;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thus the first stage is essentialy to reduce the Goddess to the state of a fallen woman.

There is an obscure Sumerian myth regarding this methodology were Inanna is raped by a gardener of Enki, Shu-kale-tuda, and i consider that this myth in an apocryphal sense is the key to understanding the actions of Enki.

etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk...

www.gatewaystobabylon.com...

The myth involves Enkis creation of a garden, and it's watering and flourishing, but then leads to his placing a useless gardener within it, who reduces everything to dust as if cursed

Cu-kale-tuda was his name. ......, a son (?) of Igi-sigsig, the ......, was to water garden plots and build the installation for a well among the plants, but not a single plant remained there, not even one: he had pulled them out by their roots and destroyed them. Then what did the stormwind bring? It blew the dust of the mountains into his eyes. When he tried to wipe the corner of his eyes with his hand, he got some of it out, but was not able to get all of it out

This worthless gardener of Enki, who reduces everything to dust, sees Inanna asleep beneath her sacred tree, and rapes her.

He raised his eyes to the lower land and saw the exalted gods of the land where the sun rises. He raised his eyes to the highlands and saw the exalted gods of the land where the sun sets. He saw a solitary ghost. He recognised a solitary god by her appearance. He saw someone who fully possesses the divine powers. He was looking at someone whose destiny was decided by the gods. In that plot -- had he not approached it five or ten times before? -- there stood a single shady tree at that place. The shady tree was a Euphrates poplar with broad shade. Its shade was not diminished in the morning, and it did not change either at midday or in the evening.

Once, after my lady had gone around the heavens, after she had gone around the earth, after Inana had gone around the heavens, after she had gone around the earth, after she had gone around Elam and Subir, after she had gone around the intertwined horizon of heaven, the mistress became so tired that when she arrived there she lay down by its roots. Cu-kale-tuda noticed her from beside his plot. Inana ...... the loincloth (?) of the seven divine powers over her genitals. ...... the girdle of the seven divine powers over her genitals ....... ...... with the shepherd Ama-ucumgal-ana ....... ...... over her holy genitals ....... Cu-kale-tuda undid the loincloth (?) of seven divine powers and got her to lie down in her resting place. He had intercourse with her and kissed her there. After he had had intercourse with her and kissed her, he went back to beside his plot. When day had broken and Utu had risen, the woman inspected herself closely, holy Inana inspected herself closely

After this violation the gardener goes into hiding, Inanna brings curses against the land as she searches for him, and also abandons her Temple, thus violation effectively causes Inanna to leave the building...as it were.

As i suggested violation of the Temples reduced them to wretched whore houses effectively.

If the myth is applied in the broader historical context, then it can be read that Enki has promoted and protected peoples that have reduced the Near East to a dust bowl, and that these are accursed by the Goddess Inanna, amongst others, who's cult they violated and eradicated, which is something of a bleak assessment, but accords with the situation as i see it to have developed.

The climax of the story may not go quite as the followers of Enki have envisaged however, as he is a trickster God, and his ways are deep, mysterious and magical.

At the end of the myth Inanna goes to him and demands justice, and the worthless gardener is given over to her retribution

Should it not be the concern of my own father, Enki?" Holy Inana directed her steps to the abzu of Eridug and, because of this, prostrated herself on the ground before him and stretched out her hands to him: "Father Enki, I should be compensated! What's more, someone should pay (?) (1 ms. has instead: make up) for what happened to me! I shall only re-enter my shrine E-ana satisfied after you have handed over that man to me from the abzu." Enki said "All right!" to her. He said "So be it!" to her. With that holy Inana went out from the abzu of Eridug. She stretched herself like a rainbow across the sky and reached thereby as far as the earth. She let the south wind pass across, she let the north wind pass across. From fear, (1 ms. adds: solitary) Cu-kale-tuda tried to make himself as tiny as possible, but the woman had found him among the mountains.

Holy Inana now spoke to Cu-kale-tuda: "How ......? ...... dog ......! ...... ass ......! ...... pig ......!"

Parts of the text are missing at the critical point, but it doesn't appear to end well for him, and we can assume that once the useless gardener was despatched, the land returned to its former glories and that the curses and plagues of Inanna were lifted, in short a happy ending.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Nope, Jesus is Yahweh in disguise.

Jesus is Yahweh pt. 1

Jesus is Yahweh pt. 2
edit on 10-6-2013 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
You almost got it correct. Yahweh is actually En.ki's half brother En.lil. Enki was the "serpent" in the garden. Yahweh ordered the global flood to wipe out mankind. It was Enki who told Noah from behind a reed screen to save his family and two of every creature. En.ki and Nin.hur.sag were the ones who created the Adamu. Read Zecharia Sitchin's The Twelfth Planet. The whole story is laid bare. This is one of my all-time favorite books by any author. Its basically the Bible decoded.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oannes
You almost got it correct. Yahweh is actually En.ki's half brother En.lil. Enki was the "serpent" in the garden. Yahweh ordered the global flood to wipe out mankind. It was Enki who told Noah from behind a reed screen to save his family and two of every creature. En.ki and Nin.hur.sag were the ones who created the Adamu. Read Zecharia Sitchin's The Twelfth Planet. The whole story is laid bare. This is one of my all-time favorite books by any author. Its basically the Bible decoded.

Enki and Enlil do not exist, they were stone dolls people made with their hands.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Oannes

Sitchin was useless, read what the scholars have been considering for the past century with regards to Yah being derivative of Ea, and what the Theologians have been ignoring.

The first appearance of the name are in the context of a Deity associated with water.

The case for Enlil as Yah cannot be made, the Semitic equivalent was the storm God Baal Hadad

reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Of course Jesus/Joshua/Yah-shua means Yah is my salvation, but that cannot indicate that Jesus is YAH., as it denotes reliance upon.

Ea/Yah will not be pleased to hear that about him just being an idol.

edit on 10-6-2013 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Great read OP S&F.
Prepare an onslaught of Christians trying to tell you that you are wrong.
What do I think? you are probably right...do I believe in any of it? nah.
Cool story though.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Kantzveldt

I don't think Yahweh is Enki. I think Yahweh is Enlil.

Think about it:

Enki is "Lord of Earth".

The bible calls "Satan" the "God of Earth".

Enki gave a food of knowledge, to help the humans be more intelligent from Eden.

In The bible it was The Serpent ("The Devil", "The Red Dragon") that gave the fruit of knowledge.

Enlil allows humanity to be destroyed by the flood. Enlil put humans in Eden.

Enlil seems to be Yahweh more than Enki.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I've always gotten a rotten feeling when I think of Marduk and have been increasingly leaning towards the idea of Marduk being the Christian god. The evidence is there as you've so beautifully laid out. Of course, Marduk being Enki's son and Jesus being Yahweh's son, this makes sense to me. The Christians feel that Jesus and Yahweh are one and the same so, in their terms, Enki and Marduk would be viewed in a very similar light.

To me, the name "Marduk" spells the end (or more accurately, the hibernation) of the matriarchal empire. This empire of Marduk & Co. is, in the big picture, and extremely temporary one. I think the swing of the pendulum coming back will not be accompanied with the trademark bloodshed that the Abrahamic faiths brought with them but it will be absolute in its effect.

Call me an optimist but not only do I see the old gods returning but I think it will be blessings for the followers of Yahweh and Inanna alike (or anybody for that matter). Equity in spirituality and science and among all is in our cards.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Oannes

What exactly is the nature of En.ki and En.lil? What are they? We call them gods, but is that just in relation to us?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

The earliest myths of Genesis are derivative from the time of a North West Semitic broader pantheon, including El(Anu), Enlil (Baal Hadad), and Enki/Ea/Yah, you will find aspects of all three therefore, as well as their consorts, but it's Yah that becomes pre-dominant and that can only source to Ea

reply to post by Cuervo

Yes i always kept in mind when putting this together that all said and done it's just Enki playing silly beggars lol

Even though this extends over a 4,000 year period and has seen the ruin and devastation of countless lives and cultures, confrontation is not the answer, compromise needs to be reached, and i guess Enki just needs to be understood.

It is a great story..and approaching its end

reply to post by AfterInfinity

They are spirits, aspects of nature, non-existential but in every sense manifest within patterns of reality.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I've always gotten a rotten feeling when I think of Marduk and have been increasingly leaning towards the idea of Marduk being the Christian god. The evidence is there as you've so beautifully laid out. Of course, Marduk being Enki's son and Jesus being Yahweh's son, this makes sense to me. The Christians feel that Jesus and Yahweh are one and the same so, in their terms, Enki and Marduk would be viewed in a very similar light.

Which one is Enlil and which one is Enki? Are you saying that Jesus was actually Marduk?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Cuervo

Which one is Enlil and which one is Enki? Are you saying that Jesus was actually Marduk?

Sort of. I'm saying that Jesus is more like the analog of Marduk in the sense that it's the same relationship and method that Christians can use to better understand their gods. Marduk wasn't even important until Hammurabi said he was much like Jesus needing a catalyst to propel his importance. All four of them could be the same and I wouldn't be too surprised.
edit on 10-6-2013 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kantzveldt
The earliest myths of Genesis are derivative from the time of a North West Semitic broader pantheon, including El(Anu), Enlil (Baal Hadad), and Enki/Ea/Yah, you will find aspects of all three therefore, as well as their consorts, but it's Yah that becomes pre-dominant and that can only source to Ea

How so?

Did Baal create the flood? Did Baal create the garden of Eden and humanity? I don't think he did, that is why I don't think he can be Enlil. It was Yahweh that did that so I see a Enlil - Yahweh connection. If I'm wrong, please inform me because this is a very interesting subject for me.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Another great thread Kantz. Based upon the reading and study I've done I don't think Yahweh was either Enki or Enlil. I think he was a separate entity. However, if I had to choose I think Yahweh sounds more like Enlil than Enki just based on behavior.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Enki is E.a /Oannes/Ptah/Posideon/Vulcan/Hephaestus. El of the Seas/crafting. En.lil is Apollo. El of the Air. En.ki was born first, but not to the official consort. En.lil was born second. But because he was born of Anu's wife (not a concubine), he got the throne over En.ki. This caused fueding for many thousands of years. Marduk/Ra and Nin.gish.zidda/Thoth/Quetzalcoatl are sons of Enki. Ninurta is a son of En.lil. They are both A.nun.na.ki (those who from Heaven came to Earth). They are not the same El.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Yes i would understand that it was a storm God that brought about 40 days of darkness and rains in terms of the flood, as was the case with the flood of Sumer and Enlil, and that it is Enki as God of the waters that grants salvation to a selected few.

The garden of Eden adaptation was far more problematic as that was based on traditions of Inanna and Uruk, and originally had little to do with either Enki or Enlil, though Dumuzid had some association with these as well as Anu, all three sort of had a stake in him.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

reply to post by Malynn

I think it's just the case that Ea/Yah sort of hoovered up the attributes of Anu and Enlil in the writings of the Hebrew scribes, as well as Utu the Sun God and others, to create the sense of Enki absolutism.

Yes

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Yahweh is not Enki in disguise.

If you do some research on the civilizations that worshiped Enki, you'll soon find that they no longer exist.

Why? Because the Israelites that followed Yahweh pretty much wiped them out.

The Bible talks about the Israelites battling the Canaanites and the Hittites.

A lot of these battles took place to dispel these false/lower gods and the people who followed them.

edit on 10-6-2013 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

The question then in my opinion, having demonstrated that Enki has established himself as the One and only Supreme Deity of the Bible based religions, through the actions of his chosen people, is what on Earth he's playing at, and why the apparant break away from the rest of the Sumerian Pantheon to go it alone...?

Look at the actual priestcraft involved. My contention would be that the Levitical priesthood created their own god, using bits and pieces of existing mythologies. Therefore no one to one identification can be made between the cultic Yahweh and any of the other gods.

1) The intricate mythologies and interactions of the gods and goddesses was a reflection of city-states forming alliances and engaging in various conflicts, while maintaining the essential seasonal and yearly observances.

2) Contrast the above with the new priestly god who commands no treaties, no cultural interaction, the destruction of temples, priests, and whole cities.

3) My conclusion about what this anti-civilization god and his priests are up to is whole World domination through means of violent overthrow.

4) The fact that in terms of World politics and religion, only the fertile crescent area is even considered when speaking of where did "God" originate, is quite telling when it comes to what has already been accepted from and by people. What about my gods who exist even if no city state ever came to be in the fertile crescent? Are my gods to be ignored because they never destroyed a city?
edit on 10-6-2013 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Oannes

What is an "El"? An alien? A being that is more conscious energy than actual physical entity? Or an evolution of a species much like ours that has earned the ability to traverse space and time with little to no effort?

Interestingly, Kal-El is recognized as coming from "the house of El". It's interesting in that a descendent of El should become a superpowered guardian of the human species, much like the legends previously told in this thread.
edit on 10-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join