It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

xochipili stuatue mystery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   
i am new here . The xochipili statue has one unidentifeid plant on it . if anyone has anything to help me with the id or anyknowlage on the subject of the Aztec's or this particular cerimony please help.
www.erowid.org...

[edit on 7-11-2004 by lost_shaman]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
If any mods are reading the thread, this is a prime reason why we need a 'Drug and Psychedelic Board'. Legalize it mods!
--------------------

It's the XOCHIPILLI Statue for people that are trying to do web searches on this.
Here is some information on the Xochipilli (Erowid Entheogen Vault):

Xochipilli, The Prince of Flowers, is the Aztec god of flowers, maize, love, games, beauty, song and dance. (Xochi is from the Nahuatl xochitl or 'flower', while pilli means either Prince or child.) He is the husband of Mayahuel and the twin brother of Xochiquetzal. He is also referred to as Macuilxochitl, which means "five flowers".

In the mid-1800's, a 16th century Aztec statue of Xochipilli was unearthed on the side of the volcano Popocatapetl near Tlamanalco. The statue is of a single figure seated upon a temple-like base. Both the statue and the base upon which it sits are covered in carvings of sacred and psychoactive flowers including mushrooms (Psilocybe aztecorum), tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum), morning glory (Turbina corymbosa), sinicuichi (Heimia salicifolia), possibly cacahuaxochitl (Quararibea funebris), and one unidentified flower. The figure itself sits crosslegged on the base, head tilted up, eyes open, jaw tensed, with his mouth half open. The statue is currently housed in the Museo Nacional de Antropologia of Mexico.

It has been presented by Wasson, Schultes, and Hofmann that Xochipilli represents a figure in the throes of entheogenic ecstasy. The position and expression of the body, in combination with the very clear representations of hallucinogenic plants which are known to have been used in sacred contexts by the Aztec support this interpretation.

Here is the statue you are referring to:

The known flowers/plants are:

A Mushroom Cap
Tobacco
Morning Glory
Sinicuichi
Cacahuaxochit

and the 'Unidentified'

As for the flower, it has religious and spiritual meaning. It's not supposed to be a plant, but more of a representation of the soul.

The texts always use the flower in an entirely spiritual sense, and
the aim of the religious colleges was to cause the flower of the body
to bloom: This flower can be no other than the soul. The association
of the flower with the sun is also evident. One of the hieroglyphs for
the sun is a four-petalled flower, and the feasts of the ninth month,
dedicated to Huitzilopochtli, were entirely given over to flower offerings.
- Paul Pettennude, Ph.D.

I hope this helps.

[edit on 11/7/2004 by Simulacra]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Also, a little bit about the Aztec ceremonies:

Xochipilli represents the God of the flowers, whose body is covered with tattoos in the form of flowers and to whom the gardens where dedicated by performing complex rites. The Aztecs fought wars known as "Guerras Floridas", which was a covenant between two or more neighboring rival communities, with the sole and only purpose of obtaining victims to sacrifice and offer them to the God Xochipilli, to symbolize the renovation of society and nature.

Believe it or not, that info was taken from an Ebay auction of this Xochipilli coin:

[edit on 11/7/2004 by Simulacra]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This reply is for lost shaman, I have had Mayan flint eccentrics shaped exactly like the Flower( Nahaut Glyph?) you mentioned. They are found on the west side of mounds outside the burial chamber. Has something to do with the afterlife. The Xochipilli statue also represents Death due to the Design of the statue. Possibly, certain sacrificial victims were victims using overdoses of certain drugs derived from these natural subtances. Possibly the ultimate Nirvana. This is pure speculation like most Archaeological conclusions.....a good story to fit the facts... all I know is that the Maya used that symbol 1000yrs before the Aztecs and probably dates to late Archaic( proto- preformative Olmec period).....Abajootz

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
morning glory eh? didnt they do something with the seeds and trip out on them? haha when i saw this post i thought me! my name is xochitl haha thats awesome.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBadge
morning glory eh? didnt they do something with the seeds and trip out on them?

When I drove to Montana from Arizona (don't even ask me why) I ingested a few packets of Morning Glory seeds. I spent the entire day reading David McKennas book 'Food of the Gods'. I didnt 'trip' but I felt pretty horrible afterwards.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
oh damn well one time I did this thing called MARY BELL FLOWER TEA supposedly the aztecs did it too. but anyway it tasted sooo yucky.. the next day i felt horrible maybe the same you did. but on this tea i did trip out. i remember my friend was like hey xochitl look at this and opened his hands and "butterflies" came out haha it was cool. then bubbles fell from the ceiling and i swear i even felt them pop on my nose hahaha. fun stuff but i would never do it again it made me so sick.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra

When I drove to Montana from Arizona (don't even ask me why) I ingested a few packets of Morning Glory seeds. I spent the entire day reading David McKennas book 'Food of the Gods'. I didnt 'trip' but I felt pretty horrible afterwards.

Thats because they're coated with toxins on purpose. Ingesting wild seeds is a better idea and a lot healthier.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
As a matter of fact there are no toxins added to Morning Glory seeds . All that is myth. I know that i have never came across anything added to flower seeds in this part of the country. Ingesting them will cuase some discomfort , however it is not due to added toxins .

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra

Morning glory seeds will pass right though ya. With no effect. They need to be ground into a fine powder. No I have never tryed it, but I have heard that is how it is done. Also I think there may be sticknine in it. So please be careful.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Can we even talk about this here ? Because if so i can tell first hand anything one wants to know about Morning GLories or Hawaian Baby Woodrose . Both of witch contain Lysegic acid Amides in levels high enough to induce psychodelic effects in humans. Although this is little known , and one would have to be willing and able to ingest seed material (chewed or ground) sometimes made into a form of tea (although this is not necessary). Coupled with the false belief held by many that the seeds are coated with poison or contain poison (i have never came across pesticide or anything else on commercial seeds that would deter ingestion ), helps to deter many who would otherwise enjoy these wonderful plants!

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I've always been interested in the herbal psychadelics used by most 'pagan' cultures to induce vision quests and what not. If anyone knows about any of this stuff, I'd love to have an actuall conversation with them over aim or msn (SN: baronvonfunke, MSN: [email protected])

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by lost_shaman
... Coupled with the false belief held by many that the seeds are coated with poison or contain poison (i have never came across pesticide or anything else on commercial seeds that would deter ingestion ),

call it 'suburban legend', but i heard that the BLUE Morningglory seeds are the exact ones that have a mild halluncinogin in their chemical make up... so i heard
another common and also Dangerous natural plant thing, is Belladonna...familiar to pagans & some occultists.

still another connection to non-ordinary realities is ...Meditation

20/04%

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
first of all, one should use extreme caution when ingesting seeds of any kind. reading a carlos casteneda book does not a shaman make. in fact i wonder how many misguided teenagers have died because they recognized the datura in the books with the jimsonweed in their back yard and ate one too many seeds.
but back on topic... there is a common misconception that there is strychnine in '___' or morning glories/hawiian baby woodrose. the fact is that there is not. however as with all seeds in the roseacea (apples pears peaches) and convulvacea (morning glory, HB woodrose) family there is "cyanogenic diglyceride" AKA cyanide. in small doses it is harmless. higher doses deadly. in conjunction with lysergic acid amide(active alkaloid in morning glory/HBWR and precursor to '___') it may not kill you but you may WISH you would die. terrible cramps and horrible visions may ensue. the urban myth of "strychnine" in '___' is actually the result of poor manufacturing practices that result in acute cyanide poisoning. i.e. bloating, cramping, sweaty hands and such.
this is why the aztecs did NOT eat the seeds. the seed shells contain the cyanide whereas the inner fleshy part does not. they macerated the seeds and soaked them in cold water. the seeds were then discarded and the water ingested. the cyanide does not leech out into the water. the lysergic amides do. BUT the LSA will cause restricted blood flow to the extremities in high doses. ergotism (caused by ergot fungus poisoning or large doses of LSA) can cause your fingers and toes to lose circulation and the flesh can turn black and die. but that only happens if you go way overboard. and i mean WAY overboard.
of course as a disclaimer.. i do not recommend anyone do such a thing, as that would be illegal. im just saying...thats how the aztecs did it.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
i love it! i kew a girl named xochitl. people had a hard time with the pronunciation so she introdiced herself as "so-shee" but she prefered the proper pronunciation.
of course you know it means "flower". if i ever have a daughter i will name her that.
i am curious about this "mary bell flower tea". do you know what it was? baby hawaiian wood rose? they have pink and yellow bell shaped flowers.

new topics

top topics

join