It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Icelanic Legislator offers NSA Whistleblower support in political asylum.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by eLPresidente
As of Monday, Edward Snowden has checked out of his Hong Kong apartment, there are no other updates as to his whereabouts.

This has me worried, because if he simply did just vanish, how can anyone prove it was the US?

But, I am feeling positive about the fact that the Guardian hasn't reported this yet, only the lamestream press has (BBC etc) so that tells me that at least the Guardian doesn't think he's "missing"

I do wonder how someone gets to Iceland from China without being flagged by the NSA. Surely they would now have an asset in Iceland waiting for him, and as soon as his passport is flagged in Hong Kong they can be there ready to take him out.

Maybe I'm thinking about all this in too much of a Borne Identity way

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
It's been a little difficult to keep up with his movements vs. when he was speaking with the Guardian, etc. Hopefully he was heading for the airport just as this was breaking in the news. He also indicated that he had been provided addition ID for the undercover work he did in Geneva. Maybe he's in Iceland already, one can only hope.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Dbl post

edit on 10-6-2013 by Bassago because: typo

edit on 10-6-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I'm thinking that as a former member of U.S. Intelligence, he'll likely decline this offer, Politely, but still decline. Iceland is HARDLY a place safe from U.S. Influence. I don't know how much it's still a key in things today but it was a strategic lynch pin in some ways for Western defense planning against the Soviets as I recall. Not to mention a favorite of some for Summits.

I'd imagine he knows better than almost anyone in the world just where the safest places are and where it's almost inviting them to take him and 'render' him into a convict.

Perhaps he'll next show up at a Science Station in a cold cold place.
wouldn't that be a laugh and a half. Depending on which station, he could he perfectly safe. Lonely and a little cut off, but safe! It's not like anyone is sneaking up on you across the Ice.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Judge Napolitano speaks on Snowden's scenario:

What stood out most to me was that he said the only way Snowden could be guilty of the charges is if the US Government could PROVE Snowden had the INTENT to aid enemies of our country. Also, he said Iceland currently does not have extradition treaties with America.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

Iceland does have an extradition treaty with the US, signed 1902 & 1905 with the Kingdom of Denmark.

Link 1 Link 2

Iceland being a member of NATO and a ally of the US probably wouldn't break a treaty if he is criminally charged.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Assuming our Icelandic Legislator already knows about this treaty, why would she extend an olive branch and advise him to apply for political asylum? Maybe the extradition treaty does not cover certain acts? Has there been any ratifications/amendments to the treaty to change the status?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by eLPresidente
reply to post by Carreau

Assuming our Icelandic Legislator already knows about this treaty, why would she extend an olive branch and advise him to apply for political asylum? Maybe the extradition treaty does not cover certain acts? Has there been any ratifications/amendments to the treaty to change the status?

Actually this is a very good point. Think about the possible leverage if this is true.
Iceland: We grant this person "political asylum."
USA: We want him extradited now.
Iceland: Let's take a deeper look at all the global surveillance first, then maybe.
USA: er, uh.
There is possibly quite a bit of potential here.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Iceland was one of my top choices, don't know why he chose Hong Kong, it really makes him look like a spy for the Chinese. I'm for the guy, but I don't think he can hide anywhere, Obama only needs to sign a piece of paper to put this guy away forever, but Obama being a popularity driven president he will only put this guy away if it's popular enough, or if the story is buried enough.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by pyramidikal
Iceland was one of my top choices, don't know why he chose Hong Kong, it really makes him look like a spy for the Chinese. I'm for the guy, but I don't think he can hide anywhere, Obama only needs to sign a piece of paper to put this guy away forever, but Obama being a popularity driven president he will only put this guy away if it's popular enough, or if the story is buried enough.

Hong Kong is actually a pretty free place even though their government is corrupt (whose isn't?) but they do have a rich tradition of protest and free speech like Snowden said. They are a special administrative region of China now and do follow Chinese law but it is not out of the ordinary to consider Hong Kong as a place of refuge for a political dissident. Political dissidents escape the Chinese Mainland to Hong Kong.

If I were Snowden, I would've gone to Ecuador, they have an actual track record of harboring intelligence leakers (Julian Assange).

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

I would've gone to Ecuador

They have a extradition treaty with the US as well, since 1941.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau

I would've gone to Ecuador

They have a extradition treaty with the US as well, since 1941.

I don't think it is as black and white as you put it. There are stipulations to every treaty, just because an extradition treaty exists, doesn't mean the US gets its way whenever it wants. For example, political crime is a stipulation to the Hong Kong/US extradition treaty.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

The Icelandic Government are not stupid. If they offered Snowden asylum then they are saying bye-bye to their US defence pact and the follow on impact it would have on their NATO membership. Iceland has been a NATO member since 1949. Public officials offering assistance simply off the cuff is one thing but do you really think that the Icelandic Government is going to jeopardize a military alliance and long term defence security over Snowden?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Lol. See ya in the after life. What I have said here: www.abovetopsecret.com... : is much much worse... Hope my imagination does not get me into trouble.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This is so pathetically stupid it's beyond belief. They want to bust him for breaking the same oath that they themselves can't uphold either. He broke his "Oath" to expose that others don't follow the oath and violate the constitutional fourth amendment. If they can't follow the same constitutional laws that govern the country as a whole, then their political position of power is null and void. Right along with their bogus oath!

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I'm sure you're right BUT if your freedom and life depended on it, would you flee to a country with or without an extradition treaty?

My point being is it's not that easy to just run away and be safe. He is in danger and if he makes the wrong decision he will pay dearly for it. BTW as of this morning Russia has offered real asylum where he would not be extradited.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

This is so critical, hopefully he gets the truth out before he ends up Dokhan'd.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join