It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Military told not to read Obama-scandal news

page: 1
9

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Military told not to read Obama-scandal news


www.wnd.com

The notice applies to users of the Air Force NIPRNET (Non-classified Internet Protocol Router Network), which is the only way that many troop stationed overseas and on bases in the U.S. are able to access the Internet.

The last line of the executive summary states:

Users are not to use AF NIPRNET systems to access the Verizon phone records collection and other related news stories because the action could constitute a Classified Message Incident.
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   


In my opinion this is the military (Air Force in this case) telling everyone using the NIPRNET while on base, should not visit the Prism news, especially on The Guardian, because it will show up as them accessing classified information on a non-classified network. So they might get in trouble for that, but this is probably more in response to not having so many 'hits' show up, and less work for them.

Then again, if they don't have TS/SI clearance and are reading it while in the military, they may be in trouble?

Does the 1st amendment of freedom of speech not count when you're in the military? Just curious

www.wnd.com
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I think they may be in for a shock.




posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Philippines
 


As I understand it, both the US and UK armed forces, basically hand over thier right to self determination ,political protest, and most of the trappings of God/birth given free will, by joining up. It is one of many reasons which prevented me from ever taking an interest in a career with any one of the armed forces in my nation.

I have no problem with being trained in the use of firearms, explosives, tactics, long and short term strategy, logistics and so on. What I do have a problem with is being in a position where a commanding officer may one day order me to do something that I consider wrong on a moral basis. I have an over developed sense of justice, so that wouldnt work out well for my superiors in the short term, or myself in the long term.

However, it is not hard to see why the US military would not want thier members reading these leaked items of data. For a start, it is true that recieving the data over an unsecured network is a technical violation of data security which may lead to all manner of unfortunate and totally spurious legal proceedings against armed forces members. But on another tack entirely, if you want a person to continue to bomb the living hell out of a dustbowl whose contents mostly consist of collateral damage recipients, you cannot have them reading all the reasons why they should be considering a career change. It tends to destabilise all the careful de-humanisation work that trainers do, to ensure there is no hesitation when pressing buttons and pulling triggers.



posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Philippines
 


If the troops don't know by now, they never will, YOU are an evil regimes cannon fodder



posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Philippines
 


We have received no such message in the Marine Corps.

But I am not surprised.
Most anything worth looking at is blocked on Govt. Computers. ATS for example is blocked on our networks. And yes, you waive many rights when joining the military.

But it's kind of pointless, with the internet capabilities of cell phones these days. I can just go outside and read whatever I want.



posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Chances are good they've heard it all already .
What is the point of this ?
Please dont read the truth about your commander and chief ,because you will all realize what a lying prat he is ?

This only proves the new York times article . That his credibility is shot .



posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Philippines
 


It is not only the military active duty but any person working under the government in bases.

When the wikileaks was released my husband also was told not to research any information within the base or at home.

You have to remember that anybody that have clearance is also asked to provide all e-mail accounts , we don't use any social media and the requested his Facebook account, that we don't have any, during the clearance process.

My husband have some problems because I forbid him from giving my personal perosnal e-mail, I told him that I am not the one working government or within any government facility so it was none of their business.

At the end I have to create an e-mail account just for that purpose. I don't use that particular e-mail at all.

I find this very close to what a totalitarian government do and a violation of constitutional rights

But as usual some will never agree with this as they thing that the government do no wrong.



posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by Philippines
 


As I understand it, both the US and UK armed forces, basically hand over thier right to self determination ,political protest, and most of the trappings of God/birth given free will, by joining up. It is one of many reasons which prevented me from ever taking an interest in a career with any one of the armed forces in my nation.

I have no problem with being trained in the use of firearms, explosives, tactics, long and short term strategy, logistics and so on. What I do have a problem with is being in a position where a commanding officer may one day order me to do something that I consider wrong on a moral basis. I have an over developed sense of justice, so that wouldnt work out well for my superiors in the short term, or myself in the long term.

However, it is not hard to see why the US military would not want thier members reading these leaked items of data. For a start, it is true that recieving the data over an unsecured network is a technical violation of data security which may lead to all manner of unfortunate and totally spurious legal proceedings against armed forces members. But on another tack entirely, if you want a person to continue to bomb the living hell out of a dustbowl whose contents mostly consist of collateral damage recipients, you cannot have them reading all the reasons why they should be considering a career change. It tends to destabilise all the careful de-humanisation work that trainers do, to ensure there is no hesitation when pressing buttons and pulling triggers.


I believe you're right on the everything, including giving away rights, you're basically selling yourself out to the government and are told how to live, in a different way and reason than a politician would. I don't see how anyone in military could consider themselves free. It can be a good learning experience for sure (I was in it years ago)

Also agreed on breach of protocol -- as these are TS docs on mainstream media -- everyone who read the news should be in violation of some law. I just don't see any enforcement happening lol

Thanks for your reply =)



posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Just as the member above me stated as far as the USMC, I havnt received any such notice put out by the Army. Although it doesn't surprise me that such a warning was put out. Accessing classified info on a non-classified machine, or accessing info that one may not have the clearance to access is taken seriously.

As far as accessing the info on a personal machine, I don't see what the issue would be with the exception of not having the appropriate clearance.

Also I don't see this as a Freedom of Speech matter. Not that you always have that right as a member of the military, especially while acting as a representative of your specific branch.



posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by Philippines
 


We have received no such message in the Marine Corps.

But I am not surprised.
Most anything worth looking at is blocked on Govt. Computers. ATS for example is blocked on our networks. And yes, you waive many rights when joining the military.

But it's kind of pointless, with the internet capabilities of cell phones these days. I can just go outside and read whatever I want.


I figured it was a branch only message and not the entire military, but I had to quote the exact title, I had issues with that last time...

But you're right, in today's world, documents can be lifted via some technology just about anywhere, anytime, if the person has the clearance, and is not searched for those technologies. As tech continues to advance, this will be harder to stop imo -- unless perhaps it is stopped by fear, and a chilling effect of someone attempting to whistleblow again



posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043
 


I'm glad you took a stand =) And I agree with you -- your lifestyle should not be defined by the government because of your spouses work for them.



posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
You are reading that wrong.
They state the subject of the leak in the message....

they are saying not to access the actual documents that were leaked.

BIG difference.



edit on 10-6-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
You are reading that wrong.
They state the subject of the leak in the message....

they are saying not to access the actual documents that were leaked.

BIG difference.



edit on 10-6-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)


Hardly really the point though, I mean the documents reveal genuine info about what the U.S. gov really gets up to, why can't the armed forces know this (as well as rightfully the rest of the population).




top topics



 
9

log in

join