It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it me? Or is the four hour edit window BS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Several times I have gone back to edit posts and been denied because I reached the "four hour" window limit. I know I'm not especially good at math but when I reference the post I want to edit against the current time it is never four hours.

For example, I'm trying to edit a post listed as being posted at 22:05 my time and right now it's 1:02 my time. How is that four hours? I've had other examples that were even closer together in time, by about two hours.

Just mentioning it because I keep having this issue and wondering if four equals two and I didn't get the memo.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by otherpotato

Ah yes, the magical edit window......

It's closer to 2 or less. I think they have it that way to make sure you post your p's and q's right the first time, and if you have to fix something after 2 or more hours, then......ahem......need to check your work better before you post.

Now, some folks will say "Preview is your friend" or "work off line in a word processor", both of which are useful tactics to catch errors before posting, and I tend to agree.

Besides, if it's something that REALLY bothers you, you can ask a Mod nicely, and they will magically open the edit window for you again, or perhaps fix the post that needs attention. YMMV.

Otherwise, I recommend to follow what folks say, and proof that sucker before you post it, and then after it's up, proof it again REAL QUICK to make sure it's all nice and tidy.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   

If you click on "Edit" shortly after making a post, you will see a message just above the edit box which tells you how many minutes you have left for editing the post.
This message appears to be counting down from 120 minutes.
That is "four hours" in the ATS universe, which must be working on thirty-minute hours, but only two hours in the rest of the world.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
This is one of those bizarre "why hasn't it been fixed yet" errors -- people have been complaining for years that four hours isn't right, that it's really two hours, but even though it should take about two seconds to change the text that says "four" to "two", it's never been done.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Besides, if it's something that REALLY bothers you, you can ask a Mod nicely, and they will magically open the edit window for you again, or perhaps fix the post that needs attention. YMMV.

What they said....

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Yeah, if it's really two hours, they should either change the limit (to four) or actually reflect reality by admitting it's a two hour window.

I've always really disliked this limit, anyway. I'm used to forums where I'm allowed to edit my posts whenever I want. I love ATS-- but it has some of the most rigid rules regarding posting I've ever seen. If I didn't know any better, I'd think ATS was run by the government.

But yeah, the two hours thing is a bit extreme. Even four hours. And it's not just a matter of making errors or whatnot. Sometimes I later think of a point I'd like to add, that strengthens my argument. if I think of that later than two hours, I'm SOL. It's not like two hours after I've made the post, everyone who's going to see it has already seen it-- these threads are archived. Someone, years later, might read my post. And I like them to reflect my ideas as clearly and completely as possible.

The limit also removes the ability to edit an OP to include more information. If you want to make an ongoing list, or want to get contributions from members, and then include those in the OP. I've seen threads like that on every other forum I'm involved in. Not this one. Well, MODS can do it. I've seen that a couple times. But us members? Well, why would a lowly member need to do that? Why should a lowly member be trusted with that kind of "power"

And don't even get me started on the stupid character limit.

They should at least allow unlimited editing and no character limit for the Original (first) post in the thread. IMO that would at least be a semi-reasonable compromise and would eliminate some of the issues I've mentioned.....

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I kind of like the limit, and never really needed 4 hrs to edit, or 2. You have to read, and sometimes re-read, or have spell check to write threads or posts.

Besides ATS has a star and flag system, which means if you get lots of stars and flags because of your "original" content if someone starred you and you change your mind, well there is no taking it back. An unlimited edit window would cause chaos in the star and flag system.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Thanks for all the advice - and the laughs. Glad to know I'm not crazy. I totally agree about proofing one's work - for important posts I'm a stickler - or try to be. All bets are off when I'm on my nook, like right now. Generally I tend to read and reread obsessively to make sure everything is what I meant. Funny how you can perfect something six ways to sunday but the minute you hit post little gremlins come in and mistakes are suddenly everywhere!

It was an issue last night because I had an important photo I couldn't get to upload properly and by the time I was able to get it sorted out I was DENIED. I'll just ask a mod to help.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

You can always make another post referencing your previous post and how you want to change it. No time limit at all.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I do think a time limit is important, as if you say something in your post and later want to take it down after discussion has commenced, this is an issue.

One poster was telling me some information about specifics involving the Illuminati and N.W.O., as well as subliminal messaging programs, and it seemed legitimate, but he took it down before the "4 hour" edit window was reached so I couldn't catch it.

It is kind of like Facebook. They made a feature where you could change the time when you posted something, even into the future. Sounds like a bad idea to me - That makes posts less legitimate.

Also, I think ATS is set up so that it is still allowed to function even in a totalitarian regime while still providing the best service possible to its users.
edit on 12-6-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
I do think a time limit is important, as if you say something in your post and later want to take it down after discussion has commenced, this is an issue.

One poster was telling me some information about specifics involving the Illuminati and N.W.O., as well as subliminal messaging programs, and it seemed legitimate, but he took it down before the "4 hour" edit window was reached so I couldn't catch it.

That's why I generally quote "dodgy" material -- they might be able to edit their own post within the two hour window, but they can't edit mine

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I love it!

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Not only does the time concern me, but sometimes we start a thread when we're tired. Maybe we didn't make something clear in the OP, or even forgot something altogether. If after creating this thread we go off into our real lives for a day, when we come back to the OP and find we missed something, or when a reply points out that we didn't explain something clearly enough, it would be nice to be able to edit just the OP at least for a day or two.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
it would be nice to be able to edit just the OP at least for a day or two.

Here's the problem with that, jigger. You make a thread called "Hooray for ponies!", talking about how awesome ponies are. I come along and post something to the effect of "You know, jigger, I don't agree with you on much, but I'm right with you here -- they're awesome".

The next day, you edit the OP and change the title to be "Hooray for Hitler and baby seal clubbing!". Even if I notice you changed it, I'm outside of my editing window, and I look like a complete d-bag for enthusiastically agreeing with you in my post from the previous day.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I hate the four hour limit that isn't even four hours.

sometimes you need to update a post, when there is updated information on your topic.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Yeah the 4 hour time thing is iffy...I don't think anybody knows exactly why to be honest.

In any case ATS is getting re-designed at the moment and I'm sure a lot of our current problems will be taken care of as that update rolls out.

In the meantime, you can always get in touch with staff, via PM or using the Alert Feature, and we'll be happy to edit any post you'd like.

~Tenth

top topics

join