It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

has anyone here owned a motor boat or a small cabin cruiser????

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Want to know how to make a small fortune in the boat business?

First, you start with a large fortune....

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Want to know how to make a small fortune in the boat business?

First, you start with a large fortune....

Every so often someone on ATS says something that makes me
in real life - and that did

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
In the states there is a old, well-worn joke about owning boats of any sort (and swimming pools). "Two of the happiest days in my life were the day I purchased it and the day I sold it."

That view pertains to the "money pit" part and the amount of physical effort exerted to keep the item functional, not to mention that a commitment is required that is very similar to marriage.

edit on 10-6-2013 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Bunch of DREAM KILLERS!!!! Thanks a lot! Maybe I'll just rent from time to time instead if it's really that bad.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

To be honest, if you aren't going to use it all that often, it is the much better route.... Don't want to kill the dream, but I think we'd be remiss if we didn't relate our own experiences, good and bad. It really depends on how much you plan to use it. Just be sure to address your NEEDS and find the boat that fits them, all of them.
edit on 11-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Thanks so much for the pros and cons CaptChaos.
It is much appreciated. For me, comfort over speed any day. It's strengths are exactly what I am looking for. My first boat was a bit too much boat for me, to be honest...but it was a good deal at the time, and we did enjoy it, but it just got to the point where it wasn't worth the hassle. If we had been able to trailer it, it would have been much more doable.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

In the states there is a old, well-worn joke about owning boats of any sort (and swimming pools). "Two of the happiest days in my life were the day I purchased it and the day I sold it."

That view pertains to the "money pit" part and the amount of physical effort exerted to keep the item functional, not to mention that a commitment is required that is very similar to marriage.

edit on 10-6-2013 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

Swimming pools....yeah. I have one of those. Haven't opened it in 3 years now. I hope to try to do that this summer. It is an in ground pool. The liner is shot, and I likely will have to have some pump work done. If i do the liner myself, it will be a hellacious weekend task, but will drive the cost down from around $7k to $2k.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by spartacus699
Bunch of DREAM KILLERS!!!! Thanks a lot! Maybe I'll just rent from time to time instead if it's really that bad.

Not trying to kill the dream at all, just telling you, you have to be REAL into it for it to be worthwhile. It's the best. Just saying you should go out on OTHER people's boats for a while to sort of ease into it. In fact, optimum is having lots of friends with boats and just going with them all the time as they foot the bill. Sadly this is not always possible.

Also working on your own boat is the way to go. If you're not willing or able to do that, well, you need LOTS of money to pay other people to do it for you.

If you're just going to use it once in a great while, it's not worth it, it will fall apart and you will feel you have wasted money. Old saying: if it flies, floats, or.f.......dances, you should rent it.

I would recommend one of these Stiletto 27s. Lots of bang for the buck: stiletto.wildjibe.com...://stiletto.wildjibe.com/forsale/&database=forsale/forsale-db.txt

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos

Originally posted by spartacus699

Not trying to kill the dream at all, just telling you, you have to be REAL into it for it to be worthwhile. It's the best. Just saying you should go out on OTHER people's boats for a while to sort of ease into it. In fact, optimum is having lots of friends with boats and just going with them all the time as they foot the bill. Sadly this is not always possible.

Also working on your own boat is the way to go. If you're not willing or able to do that, well, you need LOTS of money to pay other people to do it for you.

If you're just going to use it once in a great while, it's not worth it, it will fall apart and you will feel you have wasted money. Old saying: if it flies, floats, or.f.......dances, you should rent it.

I would recommend one of these Stiletto 27s. Lots of bang for the buck: stiletto.wildjibe.com...://stiletto.wildjibe.com/forsale/&database=forsale/forsale-db.txt

So I should read the book... "how to be a professional mooch?". I do like that idea actually. ha ha. Well unless I get my new business off the ground I can't buy a boat anyway if it's really that costly.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

I wouldn't say anyone was trying to kill your dream, just informing you on the upside and downside of boat ownership. If you own the boat you have bought into the lifestyle. Either you love that lifestyle or you don't, it's not a part time style.

If you buy a boat and just let it set, you might as well take your money and flush it down the loo. Besides, a boat will give you freedom like nothing else. Take care of her and she will bring you home, neglect her and you will discover she is a harsh mistress.

In the end don't let anyone kill your dream and believe me, there are many that will given the chance, don't give them that chance.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Oddly enough, I just learned yesterday that one of my friends went to a boat show, and luckily, his wife talked him out of buying a boat, but they did join some kind of boat club (I guess like a time share for boats?). I'll try and find out more info from him, but that really sounds like a MUCH better way to go for a casual boater.

Besides, a boat will give you freedom like nothing else.

Oh man, that is so true...such a great feeling being out on the water, wheel in your hands...

edit on 12-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join