It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The rat trap: The most overlooked addition to any BoB

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
After reading Your post yesterday and, saying to myself... ah duh that's brilliant
- I went straight to the local hardware store today and while picking out a rat trap,
a man next to me says "That's a big mouse You're after". I replied with why I was
really buying it and then He says "You might want to get some of this too", then
points out the 27" ft. wasp spray next to the traps. I looked at Him kinda puzzled
and He explains "great for home invasion defense and may even work on wild animals".
I left the store with a rat trap and a can of wasp spray. LOL

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

when I was in high school in Nebraska in the mid 70's,you could tell what hunting season was by the guns in the back windows of the pickups! Deer Rifles,shotguns..you always knew what the game of the month was!

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
What is BoB - you are not supposed to use abbreviations. Read the rules dude!

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by nothingwrong

BOB = Bug out Bag. It is so common on this forum that most accept it as a given. It is a bag packed with essential survival supplies that can be grabbed when a disaster hits to "bug out" to a more secure location. Typically, these are designed to sustain one for 72 hours.

Other ones to keep in mind for this forum:

SHTF = S**t Hit The Fan (as in SHTF event)

TEOTWAWKI = The End of the World as We Know It

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer

LMOE = Last Man On Earth

MRE = Meals, Ready to Eat (dehydrated food used by the military, but also by survivalists)

Also in the OP, SERE training = Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape

edit on 12-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardiver
reply to post by jude11

Because we live in a state that recognizes your 2nd amendment right and as long as the gun is secured in a vehicle it is allowed on school grounds. He was 15 this winter and drives himself to school and work. In North Dakota you could get your drivers license at age 14 but they changed the law this year to require you to have your permit for 1 full year instead of 6 months before getting a license.

We also only have 3 LEO's in the county, are a very small county population wise (2500 people) and don't live under a constant police state. During hunting season all of the kids go hunting on their way home from school in the afternoons, and honestly school is closed on the first day of Pheasant season because there is only 200 and some odd students in the entire school and when 75% of the kids take off that day its cheaper for the school to close for the day.

And yes all of our children have their own guns, shotguns for bird hunting and rifles, mostly .308 Remingtons for deer and elk.

edit on 10-6-2013 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

I was gonna reply immediately and say how freakin awesome this is, but I'm glad I contained myself long enough to read this. This is totally awesome! My family came to America from Germany in two batches one in the 1850s, which came to Minnesota, then moved to North Dakota, and then for some reason, others wanted to come join them in the late 40's and finally managed to in 1950. No Nazis though, just simple farm folk... So I guess North Dakota has a little bit of a history of being an asylum for those escaping a police state

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardiver
However even back then one thing I would never deploy without having in my pack was a couple of rat traps. Their uses are almost limitless and not only for conventional traps, they are also very useful for improvised booby traps as well.
This past winter I spent quite a lot of time perfecting the use of rat traps for catching game birds and even some water fowl. By finding pheasant trails in our corn, sunflower, soybean, and wheat fields here I was able to place several rat traps out with baits such as sunflower, corn, and soybean and when the birds come in to get the bait they trigger the trap which breaks their neck and you have dinner.

I also did the same thing with duck and teal...

YES. This, so very much. They laughed at me when I showed up with a rat trap until I went duck fishing with one. With just a bit of scrap you can float one tied like a trotline with some corn on, it'll snag a duck in one quick second. If you pack in a bit of MRE peanut butter as bait, you can clean out the squirrel and rabbit population too.

I have also used live baby ducklings for bass bait, you tie a little Swiss seat on the duck with a treble hook dangling between its legs, let it swim around a bit.

Oh, and you can use treble hooks and steel leader for a lot of things, they're light and reusable.

(gross thing coming up quit here if you're easily grossed out)

If you're down to eating dog, especially wild dog, you can get some meat that's too far gone to eat and hang it about six feet in the air from a treble hook on a steel leader and catch your weight in coyotes or dingoes.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by nothingwrong

I understand your confusion, and the rules do say that. But there has to be exceptions because for those whove been here more than a month or so, its just a waste of time and space to spell out certain things.

Gazrok used OP without explaining it XD

OP = original post, the first post of the thread which both makes up and starts the thread. It can also refer to the person who started this thread, as in "original poster", which can also be abbreviated as OPer or OP'er but usually just OP is interchangeable.

Mod = ministry of defense

No just kidding, it could mean that, but usually it means moderator, as in forum moderator. They are like the mommy and daddy who people tattle on you to when you do something wrong.

When those three letters are used to mean ministry of defense, they will all be capitalized except for the middle letter.

USA = unstable sycophants abound

Naw I'm joshin ya, that stands for the great United States of America, friend! The place where you can do anything you want as long as it doesn't hurt any other people*, and the government always looks out for the best interests of its citizens!**

*Some restrictions do apply. **Results not typical.

IHOP - My one legged friends nickname... OR, the International House Of Pancakes!

SCUBA - Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus

There are others, but I'm getting bored now... Send me a private message if you come across any others you can't figure out

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Starred & Flagged, and a big thank you Nucleardiver. I had never thought of a rat trap as part of a BOB. Great ideas for applications.

Along the same line of thought, some clothes pins, pack of cigarettes, match pads, and small gauge copper wire, steel wool, 9v batteries, thread ect all have use as fusing, trap triggers and all kinds of useful stuff. Also coathanger wire and duct tape!

edit on 17-6-2013 by setibuddies because: added

top topics

<< 1   >>

join