It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The old curiosity shop: Treasure trove found in store left boarded up for decades

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Another awesome find about old stuff hidden for years ..

It is believed the owners moved out more than 30 years ago, leaving the contents intact, and the shop has been empty ever since. It wasn't until safety checks were carried out this week before a developer demolishes the building that it was discovered what lay inside. Town hall workers described the shop as a 'treasure trove' and nostalgic local residents have even asked to look around. A spokesman for Hyndburn Borough Council said: 'It should be kept as a living museum. The old white-tiled ice cream area is near perfect. But there are problems with safety at the property.' Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Thanks to member Stormcell for pointing this out!!

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 9-6-2013 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
C'mon people..

don't be shy..

speak up about this!!

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Why would they leave stock unsold ?
If they were moving on any store owner with half a brain would have had a big sale.
I think there is more to this story than meets they eye .

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Such a shame that this English topic wasn't posted by an English member. Have our people really been so brainwashed that they are not aware of what is going on at home?
edit on 10-6-2013 by catlitter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
like the look of that "TITBITS" mag, an early "lads" mag?!

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by pillock
Why would they leave stock unsold ?
If they were moving on any store owner with half a brain would have had a big sale.
I think there is more to this story than meets they eye .

typical warriors supporter.....everything is a conspiracy.

go the mighty mighty south sydney rabbitohs

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
How lovely ...

The local council should keep the old curiosity shop as a piece of our world, which was once so real, frozen in time.

Sod the developers!! All they do is build chocolate box houses that all look the same.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Great stuff. I'm sure it'll all be worth more than the original price tags say too. The best bit, and the saddest (in my opinion) is that most of that gear would probably outlast the junk we pay for these days. Even the shelves and counters. I hate plastic junk and furniture that falls to bits.

e.g. I have a wardrobe that's about 100 years old. Still perfectly solid. My kids like modern crap and have been through about 6 sets of bedroom furniture since they were born.

I like glass sweet jars too

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Credenceskynyrd

No. I remember Titbits.
The girls might be in bikinis, nothing more raunchy than that. (Not in the 60's, anyway)

There used to be a whole market of "family" magazines, with articles and sometimes with pretty girls.
I can recall our family subscription passing from "John Bull" to "Today" to "Weekend" to "Reveille", perhaps even to "Titbits", as each magazine folded and got absorbed by one of its competitors.

edit on 10-6-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
How awesome ! But 30 years ago isn't really that long ago . That's the 80s ,but it looks like the place had stuff from the 60s .

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
reply to post by Credenceskynyrd

No. I remember Titbits.
The girls might be in bikinis, nothing more raunchy than that. (Not in the 60's, anyway)

There used to be a whole market of "family" magazines, with articles and sometimes with pretty girls.
I can recall our family subscription passing from "John Bull" to "Today" to "Weekend" to "Reveille", perhaps even to "Titbits", as each magazine folded and got absorbed by one of its competitors.

edit on 10-6-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

cheers for the info

Naw, never meant it would have the level of flesh on display we have today- just a more innocent 1960s version so to speak

Some fascinating stuff in that shop I'm sure

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
This brings me memories of my childhood in the 60s. It looks just like the corner stores I used to visit to by candy while my mother will ask the man behind the counter to prepare a bottle of cough medicine, that will include 7 jarabes, honey and rum.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I'm just wondering how long ago the store was re-opened as the photos have "not to be posted on the internet until 2008" on them, and the article is from 2008 too.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I frequent a lot of estate sales. Mainly the contents of someones household who has recently died, or entered assisted living.

Some of these homes are just like walking back into the 60s or 70s nothing new, nothing changed.
Here on the "Space Coast" of Florida you usually see alot of mid-century/atomic era or the olive/pumpkin color schemes and decor of the early 70s.
I've many times felt like I was walking into one of my childhood friend's homes from 40-45 years ago (I'm 53 y/o now)

It should come as no surprise that our family's house today is filled with tons ( or at least it seems that way
)
of stuff from these eras. Furniture, wall art, kitchenware, stereo record player, tons of LPs (gotta love Herb Alpert!) even clothes!

It's fun to buy this stuff, learn about it, bring it back to good condition, use it and/or sell it.
Plus, I like the "Vib" a lot of this old stuff gives off (I'm weird like that

Good human interest post OP

Thank you.
edit on 10-6-2013 by grubblesnert because: spellin'

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I'm in the antique business... I buy storage lockers (ala storage wars) and I pick estate sales and sometimes buy entire estates. Did I miss something here? This doesn't impress me in the least, maybe I'm missing something, but I find entire lots of stuff like this, all the time. Last week I found a collection of silent stars autographed photos, about 40 in all. Valued at a couple of thousand. Also had a lot of WWII stuff from Dad. Sometimes it goes back to civil war but I haven't found anything older than that, maybe a few Chinese pieces. Stuff like this is becoming more commonplace, I believe, because people are cleaning out, looking to either move or get extra cash.
edit on 10-6-2013 by 2XOHsurf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
cool stuff

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This for me would be a dream come true, to find a shop still left in this condition is pretty mind blowing to say the least…

I am a great lover of most things retro/vintage, be it clothes, records and day to day items. I deal a great deal with vintage items, so to be the first person to set their eyes on this shop would have been my dreams come true. It is a great shame that the shop cannot be used as a mini kind of retro/vintage museum for younger people to actually see how things worked in the old days and what kind of products were available. I just hope that all the items that they have in the shop can be used in other good ways apart from just selling on to the local retro/vintage dealers…

I was also drawn by the magazine called ‘Titbits.’…..my nan used to have that magazine delivered to her house in the 1970’s and I used to sit reading it at her house on Saturday afternoons while watching the wrestling on ATV…..

Great find, thanks for sharing…

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Credenceskynyrd
like the look of that "TITBITS" mag, an early "lads" mag?!

Yeah, the name Titbits, suggests that it was a bit of a raunchy magazine, but it was just one of the early type of celeb crap mags that had money winning competitions, short stories, recipes for Spotted Dick and the occasional knitting pattern for women.........

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by catlitter
Such a shame that this English topic wasn't posted by an English member. Have our people really been so brainwashed that they are not aware of what is going on at home?
edit on 10-6-2013 by catlitter because: (no reason given)

Yeah, I must agree, I don't even think that many younger people in the UK, even know what the hell is going on in their own country, let alone what is going on in others. It's all to do with the dumbing down of society and all that b****cks, really annoying..........

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

And this belongs in Current Events, how?

The "story" is from 2008 for god sakes.

Someone refered to it in your other thread so you decided it deserved its own thread?

This is not a current event and where your previous thread at least had a somewhat interesting angle, this one is just ridiculous.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join