It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Song of Songs [3/15]; Feed me with raisins

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

But your mind is not his mind, so claiming that you have sole authority over what he meant is a bit egotistical.

I don't claim authority, I just give my own thoughts on it and try to draw meaning out of the text. All you're doing is going from line to line and rewording it a bit. That's not interpreting, that's just reading.

I respect your right to your own views, so why not return the favor? Calling me 100% wrong and ignorant to what is written is not very respectful in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

As I suggested, read through the OP, and you will see what my understanding of his meaning is based on.
All the reasoning is laid out, so that readers can judge for themselves.
That's how scientific commentators work

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I have read the OP and do not see what your interpretation is based on. You do not outright say what it is based on.

Going by your interpretation, it seems like to me it's based on what the church and religion teach, so basically others interpretations and not your own.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
I have read the OP and do not see what your interpretation is based on. You do not outright say what it is based on. .

My understanding of the writer's meaning is based on reading what he says, with the intention of understanding what he wants to say.

Originally posted by DISRAELI
My approach to discovering the writer's meaning is to go through what the writer actually SAYS, sytematically, line by line, bearing in mind the shades of meaning in the Hebrew, and bearing in mind his cultural background.

I really don't see that I can put it any clearer than that.

edit on 11-6-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

And you don't think I am basing my interpretation on what he says?

If you just repeat what he says only in a different way then you are not interpreting anything, only repeating what you read. That's neither eisegesis nor exegesis, but parroting. You aren't trying to draw any kind of hidden meaning out because you believe what he literally says is what he literally means. How is that considered interpretation?

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
You aren't trying to draw any kind of hidden meaning out because you believe what he literally says is what he literally means. How is that considered interpretation? :

It's called being faithful to what the writer means to say.
If you agree that my understanding of this passage faithfully reflects the writer's intentions, then there's nothing more to say.. That is the object of the exercise.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I personally think you have no idea what he meant, you only repeat what you have been taught. If you don't think he had an underlying meaning to his poem then you are ignoring the possibility.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

There are fifteen threads in this series, since I'm going through the whole book, so the chain of reasoning builds up slowly.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
For information;
The next thread in this series will be covering the remainder of the second chapter.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The most recent thread in this series is
Arise, my love, my fair one
(second half of second chapter)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The most recent thread in this series is
Behold the litter of Solomon
(second half of third chapter)
edit on 3-7-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
This whole series is now indexed at the following location;

The Unseen Husband

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join