It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Snowden will go down in history as one of America's most consequential whistleblowers, alongside Daniel Ellsberg and Bradley Manning. He is responsible for handing over material from one of the world's most secretive organisations – the NSA.

Link

Also with - the interview video

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Im seeing that movie - Minority Report come to life more and more with the evolving way of technology.

I can see them following trends to and for them too analyze RAW data quickly, and effectively - and follow for advertising, criminal prevention - ect..

This trend - I can see with the systems becoming more robust and complete. The programs utilizing could really change the outlook - Unless we change that.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I was waiting for the thread to arrive here!

It's pretty interesting to see the comments on that Guardian article too, it seems that 99% of them are in support of him and are now expressing concern for his safety and security.

Obama is in a no-win situation here as far as I can see. If he attacks the guy, he's going to look like the evil dictator trying to silence his critics - just like Putin poisoning Litvinenko in London. But if he does nothing, then there's probably going to be a hell of a lot more to come out.

I think there's going to be a lot more to come out anyway. This young man seems to have been working in the belly of the beast for a few years, with good positions in more than one company. Who knows what else there is.

And I notice that he says something in the video that I have been saying for a while - he openly states that through the systems the NSA has he could read Obama's email. This is a massive national security issue and not the way people have initially thought.

Your entire government and mine are now open to suspicion and compromise. Anyone in any government could now be working for someone who had access to the date through the NSA system. If that young man could have read Obama's emails, god only knows what kind of power some others have over our entire political establishments.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It's all on BBC news right now. This man is very courageous.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
A hero.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Y3K89

Thank you for sharing that. It took a bit to read the entire article but I'm glad I did. Seldom have I read about a braver man than we see right there. He has my 100% and total, unqualified respect. Support? Remains to be seen on a couple factors I'm leaving alone for now...but respect? Absolutely.

He's come out, stood next to what he's done and is ready to take whatever comes from it. Long before the hounds were on his heels and they'd hunted him to ground. That shows a level of courage I think few in this world still possess.

He also made the very clear and very important distinction about exposing the system and not hurting people. That means everything, to my thinking. I have no doubt a man in his position 'knows where bodies are buried', so to speak and could burn a great number of operations and programs still ongoing, which would burn the people in them or see them killed in short order. That demands respect. It also tells me he's doing this for the reasons he claims and not bitterness or some personal axe to grind. He'd document dump everything he could if that were the case...like others have.

I just hope what he's done and what he's about to suffer for doing it isn't all in vain. I do so very much hope what he's done in essentially ending his useful and productive life brings change through knowledge of what we couldn't have otherwise known. The worst crime here would be for his sacrifice to be for nothing.

That's my feeling on the new leaker and what he's done.
edit on 9-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Y3K89

He is a hero and he needs to make himself as visible possibleble, in case somebody finds him death from suicide.

I tell you, this people are putting their life, families and everything they have so we can see the crap that is going behind our backs.

He is a hero.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
brave boy i hope he does not get cancer or drop from a heart attack

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I found this to be one of the more moving and heartfelt gestures made in recent times. This extraordinary man, probably born in the auspicious year of 1984
has laid his life on the line for the betterment of his country and his planet.

“I understand that I will be made to suffer for my actions,” he wrote in a note that accompanied the first set of documents he sent to the British newspaper. But, he added, “I will be satisfied if the federation of secret law, unequal pardon and irresistible executive powers that rule the world that I love are revealed even for an instant.”

Just stunning! I'm blown away by his courage and humanity!

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

join