It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind revelations of NSA surveillance

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
He should be extremely careful not to get suicided. Or heartattacked.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

People like Snowden will have to look over their shoulders for the rest of their lives and nothing will have changed.

Some people have enough guts that they don't look back. If the world wants to watch the show and eat their popcorn without raising a voice they can live in the Brave New World they condoned.

You want to call it before it unfolds that's your right. I will fight for right will all my might. I don't look back and like Snowden I don't want to live in a Brave New World.

To ignore evil is to become an accomplice to it. - Martin Luther King Jr.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
What I want to know is, if they are tracking everyone for their safety....how come they can't find the illegals who commit terrible crimes but they know what you said on the telephone this morning, or what sites you visited?

The cointelpro need to come up with some better bull# to try and explain all of this. As it is, I am having a good ole time with all these pictures.

edit on 9-6-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
reply to post by bg_socalif

People like Snowden will have to look over their shoulders for the rest of their lives and nothing will have changed.

Probably true, but maybe a few more people will begin to realize what the heck is happening and make a bigger stink, this is not something that's happening to someone else - this is happening to all of us. Heck, I can dream...

You asked me to expand on my post, which I did. Now the more I think about it and the more I see Republicans come out in defense of this surveillance and calling on Snowden to be prosecuted, the more I'm convinced this was a setup. There is a good possibility this was a controlled release of information so that everyone gets conditioned to understand we are being watched.

Again I look at the video interview and I don't see a guy who just took on the most powerful force on the planet. He doesn't even look worried. Something isn't right here. Let's add, the guy is 29. If he has a masters at the very least, he's not doing what he did for very long. His claims of being in the positions he was in seem farfetched. I know IT is full of young guns, but I don't see him having the time in, to have moved up the food chain the way he said he did.

Has anyone done any homework on where he went to school? Anything on his background that can corroborate or verify he is at least a techie with a degree? With all the controversy this guy has created, one would think the media would be all over his background already. Heck, with the CT shooting, they knew where that kid bought his bubblegum, in a matter of a few hours. I'm not convinced this is what it appears to be. I guess time will tell when we see it play out further.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

I have no problem with what he did but I do have a problem with him hiding in China trading our secrets with them for protection

As he mentioned, Hong Kong is quite different from the rest of China. It was a good choice imo. He was an NSA analyst, I'm sure he knows what he is doing. And he didn't exactly trade US secrets with them, he released the information to the world, which I think most of us can agree was the right thing to do considering the extent of this surveillance program.

They can try to cover it up and discredit this man but the cat is out of the bag now and there's no going back. This is the biggest leak in a very long time and the intelligence agencies are going to scramble rapidly to cover their asses on this, because they inherently understand the intrusive nature of the program and it's violation of constitutional rights.

It is absolutely clear who the real criminals and traitors are.
edit on 9/6/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I wrote an article that was picked up by Infowars back in 2010 that speaks to this reality that hackers will not risk our democracy to big government intrusion. The article, as I look back at it, has seemingly become a reality. More and more, those who are programming the machine are rejecting the premise behind the beast and the pretext that the ends justify the means. Liberty requires truth and justice, not sidestepping in ignorance.

InfoWars Story

"Despite these fears, I will hold out hope for the technocracy part of the equation. This is precisely where our story in history will get good, like the hero of a great novel saving the day. The heroes in this story, however, will redoubtably be the nerds."

Yes. I used the world redoubtably. You heard it right.

edit on 9-6-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I didn't have time to go through all of the replies so I must ask... Am I the only one who doubts this story has voracity? It seems too dang convenient, articulate and well-timed. I believe this is a highly-orchestrated charade to quell the masses and deflect our attention.

---Av
edit on 9-6-2013 by Avardan because: Grammar

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
reply to post by ProfessorT

What actions? He did nothing wrong! He was an external contracter reporting what he saw! Just an ordinary citizen like you or I.

Well, you can't say that. He violated his NDAs. That was unlawful. He knows it, too, and is aware of the ramifications.

Maybe he's got something worth doing that over. I will say, the guy's head and shoulders over Manning. But I don't expect this to end well.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Avardan

BILK22 - see his posts.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by thesaneone

I have no problem with what he did but I do have a problem with him hiding in China trading our secrets with them for protection

As he mentioned, Hong Kong is quite different from the rest of China. It was a good choice imo. He was an NSA analyst, I'm sure he knows what he is doing. And he didn't exactly trade US secrets with them, he released the information to the world, which I think most of us can agree was the right thing to do considering the extent of this surveillance program.

They can try to cover it up and discredit this man but the cat is out of the bag now and there's no going back. This is the biggest leak in a very long time and the intelligence agencies are going to scramble rapidly to cover their asses, because they inherently understand the intrusive nature of the program and it's violation of constitutional rights.

It is absolutely clear who the real criminals and traitors are.

The issue is this. Yes it's intrusive and yes, under normal conditions, this violates the Constitution. However we are not in a normal state of circumstances. This country has been declared by this president and the prior, to be in a state of emergency and we're officially at war, so the president has war powers and they can do this legally without violating anything. I'm not for it, but these are the unfortunate facts. Realize also, this put the entire electronic community on the face of the planet on notice, that they are being watched. The Brits are already defending it as necessary.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Best of luck for this guy.. he's gonna need it.

And for anybody that thinks this information hoarding is "normal" or "necessary", would you knowingly give the government your phone records at the end of every day? Or sign a release form of all your private information to Microsoft? I wouldn't, because I know i've done nothing wrong.

So they just take it instead. Without even asking. Mad respect to this guy, time will tell if is was in vain.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Avardan

I believe this is a highly-orchestrated charade to quell the masses and deflect our attention.

On the contrary....it is waking up the masses, not quelling them. And deflect our attention...I think not, It's actually starting to focus our attention to the means Big Government will use to control the population.
This guy has strong personal feelings about what democracy really is.
Just remember, He who gives up any portion of his liberty for additional security deserves neither liberty or security.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
All this NSA spying is planet wide. I imagine in the court of world opinion, Snowden is a hero.
If you want more on Snowden:

www.bing.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

Thank God someone is making sense. When Snowden said that China is not our enemy, red flags went up. China IS our enemy. His words revealed a wealth of information that we are no longer aligned with Israel and when war comes, Israel will stand alone. We have been gutted militarily and economically by design. This was a controlled disclosure conditioning us to accept the loss of our freedoms and liberties. It's over folks.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

The issue is this. Yes it's intrusive and yes, under normal conditions, this violates the Constitution. However we are not in a normal state of circumstances. This country has been declared by this president and the prior, to be in a state of emergency and we're officially at war, so the president has war powers and they can do this legally without violating anything.

I must have missed the notice where the constitution became obsolete. Hasn't this program been running for many years now? So basically you're saying since the war on terrorism begun the US has been in a state of emergency which warrants all this extreme surveillance without any regard for the constitution? Even if that were true it doesn't give the US the right to essentially monitor large internet service providers like Facebook which are used by people all over the world. Honestly are you even hearing the words coming out of your mouth?

Realize also, this put the entire electronic community on the face of the planet on notice, that they are being watched.

Good, we should be aware of this sort of thing. Maybe it will push more people into using encryption where ever possible. Encrypting the entire internet is the only solution imo.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by fltcui
reply to post by Avardan

I believe this is a highly-orchestrated charade to quell the masses and deflect our attention.

On the contrary....it is waking up the masses, not quelling them. And deflect our attention...I think not, It's actually starting to focus our attention to the means Big Government will use to control the population.
This guy has strong personal feelings about what democracy really is.
Just remember, He who gives up any portion of his liberty for additional security deserves neither liberty or security.

I agree to some extent, but if one considers the possibility this event is a smokescreen something even more sinister then it's easy to extrapolate that he's a plant. My apologies to everyone who believes this, but I just don't trust *anything* I read and hear any longer. There is always a need to be skeptical and not grab onto the first attractive and seductive cause as the *root* cause may go much deeper.

--Av

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
First...I am glad that he stepped forward. I don't think I would have had the courage. At least now they can't use the leak as a reason to watch us more.
to Edward!

Wow, I am really surprised for some of the comments that I have read on this post. I understand that everyone has an opinion and like most things, no two are alike
but wow.

To everyone who thinks that the government should be able to listen and watch everything...good luck with that. I hope that when they start knocking on doors to search your house (just to make sure you are on the up and up) that you smile as you let them in. And you better have your Obama pictures on the walls like good little girls and boys.

If you think that just because you are following the law you are fine, think again. Look at what the IRS just did. And they will be running our health care in 6 months. Hope you don't get cancer or need immediate treatment for anything, it would be a shame for you to get lost in the paperwork shuffle....just saying.

Maybe its the conspiracy nut in me but it's starting to look a lot like NK. They haven't started to limit what we can do YET, right now they are just watching.

edit on 6/9/1313 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/9/1313 by Martin75 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by Bilk22

The issue is this. Yes it's intrusive and yes, under normal conditions, this violates the Constitution. However we are not in a normal state of circumstances. This country has been declared by this president and the prior, to be in a state of emergency and we're officially at war, so the president has war powers and they can do this legally without violating anything.

I must have missed the notice where the constitution became obsolete. Hasn't this program been running for many years now? So basically you're saying since the war on terrorism begun the US has been in a state of emergency which warrants all this extreme surveillance without any regard for the constitution? Even if that were true it doesn't give the US the right to essentially monitor large internet service providers like Facebook which are used by people all over the world. Honestly are you even hearing the words coming out of your mouth?

Realize also, this put the entire electronic community on the face of the planet on notice, that they are being watched.

Good, we should be aware of this sort of thing. Maybe it will push more people into using encryption where ever possible. Encrypting the entire internet is the only solution imo.

Yes, since Sept. 14, 2001, the nation has been declared in a state of emergency and each and every year the current president has renewed that directive or what ever it is. Congress has signed off on it. In doing so, this gives the president powers he normally wouldn't have under the Constitution. However the Constitution grants him these powers when at war, which we have officially been at for the better part of 12 years. So the document that protects our rights also allows the NSA, under the supervision of the president, the lawful ability to do this with Congressional oversight. That is why Obama was on TV stating just that - Congress approved it. I think it sucks, but it isn't against any law unless they pushed the envelop which, even if they did, the courts won't do a thing about.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
This is a predictable consequence of a control that cannot sustain itself.

The same occured when the roman catholic church outsourced its barbaric actions. the same for the Sumarians and every other culture that we now know nothing of.

Not all the Government is corrupt, yet how do they learn who instigated subversion from WITHIN your government.

Learn about human nature and then non of this will come as a surprise nor will you react to it.

Look to history, human nature cannot be sustainably controlled, it can be ended yet it cant be continually controlled.

Until global resources are traded in a global currency the US will continue to justifiably become that which all hyper powers have become, suspicious and fearful of the the very people that empower them.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
NOTHING has been "disclosed".

Where is the bombshell information?

All I read is this man's personal opinion that the NSA/four letter agencies involvement into data mining/spying is "too much" and he sees "democracy in danger".

Problem: Data mining, listening to intl. calls, email monitoring etc..etc. is going on for a long time already, I STILL don't know where the bombshell information is.

We also know (at least I know) that major corporates like AOL, Microsoft, Google etc. are bound to certain laws having to give out information if such is requested.

I also know that cell phone records and credit card records are kept on file, THOUSANDS of crime investigations for years make already use of this fact.

AGAIN...what is the bombshell information that "all of a sudden" such a big revelation has been made which "severely treats democracy"?

Did this guy get a job at the NSA and now is entirely perplexed that "they" have the capabilities to listen into phone calls, monitor/record internet traffic and put the data through super computers for data mining purposes? Did he EVEN KNOW what the NSA's job is before he applied?

There is something ENTIRELY fishy about that entire story since the man did not give any startling details above and beyond what most people know already - UNLESS you lived behind a rock (like some people), used cell phones and the internet and REALLY thought that you can use that technology and there is no records of your data and none of the four letter agencies would use the data. SERIOUSLY PEOPLE....RIDICULOUS!!

Oh...here just one random example which got into my mind right this second....I'd once been on a 9/11 site where they reconstructed the day with all the events on 9/11.

The site featured a complete, public record of all pager-messages that happened on that day, private people, emergency services etc. everything included in detail. Of course, some personal data has been blacked out before they published those 1000s and 1000s pager messages.

So..I ask you again: Are you SERIOUSLY believing you are making calls, use the internet, use SMS/Text messages, book flights, shop online etc.etc... and no one is using this data or at least "store it" for an eventuality that might come later when the need would arise to look into the data? If that's the case I cannot help you.

So..what exactly did the guy have "whistle-blowed"? Please enlighten me!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join