It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind revelations of NSA surveillance

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
As I've said elsewhere, I can't decide if this guy is incredibly brave or incredibly stupid.

Simply....

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

No blinders here, just denying ignorance. You should try it sometime. Terrorists only exist when we either create them or are them, and right now our government is a terrorist organization, terrorizing US. Think what you want, you have that right. I will disagree respectfully until the day I die.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSpanishArcher
No blinders here, just denying ignorance. You should try it sometime. Terrorists only exist when we either create them or are them, and right now our government is a terrorist organization, terrorizing US. Think what you want, you have that right. I will disagree respectfully until the day I die.

And respectfully, may you passed on not from your ignorances that you sought so hard to justify.

Good luck.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
Snowden is only a small timer, a total idiot who cares only about his own ego and martydoom the way a brainwashed radical militant would blow himself up killing scores of innocent men, women and babies.

What is needed is the ONE who gave him that information, and NO effort will be untried to make him talk, the same person or persons whom had divulge NATIONAL SECURITY information, more so relevant in this current war against Terrorism that knows no border and whose combatants hide amongst us, now warned by his idiocy to take better precautions so that they can be more effective to kill MORE innocent men, women and children around the world.

Best this fool wakes up on the harm he had done, offer up the information willingly, and not continue to sleep with the delusion of personal glory and martydom. For sure, there are NO 7 virgins waiting for him, only thousands of innocent dead screaming at him for eternity as all suicide bombers are facing.
edit on 9-6-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

The terrorists that you speak of hiding amongst us are the elected officials that hide their true motives. And this man is an American Hero! That is...to us Americans.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by elouina
reply to post by jimmyx

Suppose you walk into work one day and see the goverment water boarding your janitors. Does this mean that you can not speak out about this or else risk being tried for espionage? Deja vue, where have we seen similar principles before?

of course you could speak out, but first I would call the police. IF these were government agents and if these were true janitors, and I walked in on them doing this, my ability to speak out would immediately be in doubt.

But these recent events place no doubt in your ability to speak out? For real?
Snowden reported something he felt was wrong also. He was not out selling secrets to the terrorists. Shouldn't Americans have freedom of speech? Or does this no longer apply?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bilk22

Originally posted by ProfessorT
Edward Snowden is NOT an American hero. I sincerely hope the security services start extradition proceedings and take him back to the US where he can be placed in front of a judge to answer for his actions. The leak of the information to The Guardian was reckless and Mr Snowden should never have breached national security. PRISM is in place for the right reasons - to protect people.

Protect people from what? You have a better chance of being hit by a bus or falling out of an airliner than the crap you're suggesting. The only reason this system was put in place was to protect the bums that are running our nation and all the rest, into the ground. It protects special interests. Not the average Joe. Not the guy who makes the country what it is. This type of surveillance is to protect big business and watch the backs of our dear elected officials. This guy is a true hero with a lot of balls!!!!!!

I'm responding to my own post because this is what I believe and what I'd want to believe about this young man - that someone had the integrity and bravery to come forward and talk about this stuff in the open and call it for what it is. However, I can't shake the niggling feeling we may be getting snowed.

Most anyone that posts here and on any related web site, heck, probably most anyone period, assumed the government not only had these capabilities, but used them and more than likely abused them. So what we actually learned from Edward isn't really news. It's rather, confirmation of what we believed was happening. Then couple it with how the MSM eagerly jumped on this even before this guy came forward - a MSM that pretty much put Obama into office, and things don't feel right.

Looking at the video again, I don't know, but for what this guy just claims he did, he certainly looks pretty calm, collected and confident. He's 29. The stress alone from this sort of event should have him breaking out all over the place. I'm just wondering if this isn't the smoke screen for something else massively larger that's coming down the pipe - that Ed has been planted to play this role. I know, there isn't a conspiracy in everything and sometimes things are how they appear, but all the same, I think we need to see how things progress before we take it on face value.

Just to give some perspective here on why I question what's happening with this story. I too was a whistle blower in a major company (not saying - so don't ask) and at an age not much older than Edward. I was 33. Similarly, I was an officer with a pretty fat paycheck, so turning a blind eye would have been easy. Even though I had the support of some of the higher level management in the company who I confided in, I was still scared st!tless of what the possibilities were and how I'd fair on the other side after the SHTF.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

If the US wants to see the uprising that they fear, go ahead, knock that battery off our shoulders! I call for all Americans to stand united with Edward snowden!

I couldn't agree more. And this is something we should all get behind. If he is "captured" and/or arrested and put on trial, it will be time for a hundred million man march upon Washington. No weapons, but each person with a pitchfork in one hand, and a copy of the Constitution in the other. THAT...I would do in a heartbeat.

link   
If the sky is blue, it's blue. If a spook is a spook, they should be exposed.

edit on 9-6-2013 by supremecommander because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by elouinaHe was not out selling secrets to the terrorists.

No, he was giving them away for free.

Shouldn't Americans have freedom of speech? Or does this no longer apply?

After you sign a nondisclosure agreement? No, not really.

link   

Did you support Bush when he had the NSA doing this as well?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Edward Snowden has my full support.

Good on him! I hope more people like him come forward.

Agreed! That is a true American hero right there.

Change starts with bravery. This man may have sacrificed his life for his own countrymen. I hope that he isn't the last, and I hope when the filth running our government go after him the people stand with him.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Did you support Bush when he had the NSA doing this as well?

I was thinking this too. I cannot imagine any intelligent and informed person supporting the government in this story, maybe there are some that simply aren't able to comprehend what's happening, but not many.

That's why I think those that are must either be government employees of some kind, or Obama supporters to the end.

I think, with these people, there is no sense in trying to debate with them. If they are willing to defend Obama even after it has been shown that he has extended the Bush era totalitarianism and even after such blatant abuse of their rights, they would probably still be jumping up and down and cheering him on if they were standing on the edge of a mass grave with a government employee taking aim at them.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorT

I hope you will ignore for a moment the attacks against you for your post.

I will not attack you for your views on this matter.

In fact, I hope you will help me out with something. I really want to understand the reasons you have for your opinion.

PRISM is in place for the right reasons - to protect people.

Could you walk me through your perspective? I'd like some civil discussion on this matter.

edit on 9-6-2013 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
reply to post by noonebutme

I agree with you that no one is that stupid, BUT you had only proven now yourself to be that one.

Spare me your personal insults and accusations, because when it comes from the mentally challenged, it is doubly worse and quadrably worse upon yourself as a member here.

As mentioned, the fool Snowden is not a target. The REAL wanted person/persons are the ones who gave him the information.

Support the fool all you want. Birds of a feather flocks together. Unfortunately, this is not disneyland or the best of times for idiots like Snowden to exist.

He should have quit journalism if he can't hack it and worked in a hot dog stand in disneyland or be a social worker in africa is he has that high amount of conscience he egoistically claimed, if he knows not the responsibiilites of being a true investigative journalist - you can't screw the world with irresponsible journalism hidden under the guise of journalistic freedom. Freedom and ego has its limits to society. Snowden had crossed his and WILL be made accountable. .
edit on 9-6-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

Do you even have a basic understanding of the situation?

Bowden is a defense contractor, not a journalist.

edit on 9-6-2013 by supremecommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

I have not been "brainwashed". I am being logical. Mr Snowden has now divulged information that enemies of both the United States of America and Great Britain can learn from and study. The use of PRISM would have undoubtedly prevented serious crimes from taking place. My opinion is the same as President Obama's. In this day and age 100 per cent privacy cannot be reasonably expected when communicating electronically as it has become a tool used by terrorists and other criminals who launch cyber attacks.
edit on 9-6-2013 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

Waut a minute... The US is SUPPOSED to be an open government ran by the people. No secrets... Plus there is no need to collect data from all the innocents also. Our constitution protects against this. So are you telling us that you wish to use our constitution as toilet paper?

no secrets?...so, do you want all American personal that maybe secretly listening in, or embedded into radical islamists groups to be exposed???....do you want the addresses, social security #'s, and itineraries of our top officials and their families to be public knowledge??? do you want to the entire world to know where our navy ships and subs are at any given time??? do you want the entire world to know the security measures we have in place for our electrical grids, our nuclear storage, our weapons, our government, etc???
and speaking of those great men that wrote the constitution....you don't think they kept secrets from the American people of the thirteen colonies?

There is a big difference between policies established to perform intelligence vs. the intelligence itself. They created a new policy that collects unconstitutional intelligence on every American. And we would hope that all such policies are allowed proper scrutiny by our elected officials and the US public. This policy was not! Not even by our elected officials!

This surveillance was found unconstitutional and hidden from our elected officials and the citizens! So what are we all fighting about? This has already been found to be unconstitutional! Now who is breaking the law here? The government which spat on our constitution and hid it, or the man who exposed the crime?

the Justice Department was due to file a court motion Friday in its effort to keep secret an 86-page court opinion that determined that the government had violated the spirit of federal surveillance laws and engaged in unconstitutional spying

Justice Department Fights Release of Secret Court Opinion Finding Unconstitutional Surveillance

edit on 9-6-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I have not been "brainwashed". I am being logical. Mr Snowden has now divulged information that enemies of both the United States of America and Great Britain can learn from and study. The use of PRISM would have undoubtedly prevented serious crimes from taking place. My opinion is the same as President Obama's. In this day and age 100 per cent privacy cannot be reasonably expected when communicating electronically as it has become a tool used by terrorists and other criminals who launch cyber attacks.
edit on 9-6-2013 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

Glad I uploaded this picture, I have been getting some use out of it on here lately. Maybe you should take a look, it is directed towards individuals like you.

Snowden is a hero and a patriot, we can only hope there are others with morals like his in the US government, come forward and tell the truth of how the government is starting to wage war with its people!

I hope the fact that so many people are looking at Snowden right now prevents his assassination.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
So say, they are doing this to protect us from the terrorists.

Well, how about the US foreign policy has been a huge recruitment policy for the terrorists. The actions of the industrial military complex makes it easy for extremists to recruit.

I also love the "if you don't have anything to hide" argument......

Everybody probably has something to hide from somebody. As Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn declared, "Everyone is guilty of something or has something to conceal. All one has to do is look hard enough to find what it is."

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join