It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind revelations of NSA surveillance

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

This guy says that he first saw stuff that he didn't agree with working for the NSA contractor that he'd been working for "for under three months", which puts his start of employment sometime in March.

usnews.nbcnews.com...

CIA 2007-2009
Dell contracting for NSA (2010-2013)
Booz-Allen contracting for NSA (past few months)

Nothing out of the ordinary here. With the IT/hacker types a very large chunk, if not majority, are government contractors, but fundementally operate as if they were in-house.

Booz-Allen actually does full on intelligence gathering and reporting (soup to nuts spook work) for the gov.

We have been outsourcing the war on terror for over a decade now, it isn't just Blackwater (boots on the ground) it is the intelligence aparatus as well.

It sounds silly, but many of the "spooks" out there these days might work for the CIA or NSA, but get thier paychecks from a 3rd party contractor. It pays better and also affords another layer of deniability for gov.

edit on 10-6-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

Watch the spin. There are a lot of strange bedfellows forming. The media is trying to shape the argument in Obama's favor. That is clear.

It's really quite amazing. Obama could calm the storm by simply talking to the country but... he does have all that imperial arrogance so, my guess is that he won't.

My fear is that this is going to be the first step into a truly ugly time when our nation and its people and its constitution will all be in jeopardy.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
A crowd funding account set up for Snowden is up to $8,000.

Also, a White House petition seeking pardon for Snowden has 26,000 signatures.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The only way Snowden's act can be considered an act of treason is if the GOVT itself was not treasonous.

Once again, shoot the messenger, Snowden and his tactics are the medium. Focus on the message.

Hi NSA
see you too

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tarzan the apeman.
reply to post by beezzer

You know rabbit, that guy, ED, did me and a lot of others a favor. You see I used to suspect that the government was watching, listening, but now I know for a fact. He got them, the government, to admit it.

edit on 10-6-2013 by Tarzan the apeman. because: Had too.

And that's all it took?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by RickinVa
Snowden has committed treason by any standard of the measure.......... he deserves death, no less than life making little rocks out of big rocks.

tbis is the line if thought that creates enemies and the need for secrets. the founding fathers knew this all to well when the set up safeguards against this line of thought becoming action.

these words seriously disturb me and your ties to our government should be severed immediately, everything you just stated is in bias to the very ideals of the U.S. Constitution.
This man hardly commited treason if only in loose terms of the idea in fact if this man served in our armed forces and took the oath to protect the constitution against ALL enemies, domestic or foreign, and did so prior to any other nda then that oath takes precidence (imo), therefor absolving him of any charge of treason.

The idea that you and others want this guy dead is a serious problem that will only further the division in this country.
Our govt was/is wrong.
Your words are also wrong....
and so the cycle continues, as it will until one side or the other gives in, which side do you think will give up its ideals first?

A nation divided can not stand

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
if they applied for an extradition order, would that not in itself be an admission of guilt?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Seems what Snowden feared is happening - what some of you on this thread have been pointing to. Is this just the Obama loving media in action or by design?

Obama’s welcome plot twist: Edward Snowden

It’s a reprieve for Obama, who was taking hits in the press, from Democrats and even some Republicans for running a program they cried is too reminiscent of the George W. Bush era– a new storyline that takes the focus off Obama, even briefly.

“There are 50 new storylines, all of which lead away from Obama,” said Paul Begala, the former Bill Clinton strategist who has seen his share of political firestorms.

Snowden may even draw some of the fire away from the Obama administration’s other scandals — especially the IRS targeting of conservative groups. l

www.politico.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by pigsy2400

They've already admitted it. That isn't the issue.
The Government's stance here is that they have "checks" in place, and yes this IS happening, but it is legal, and yet somehow "top secret" at the same time (seems a bit ironic) and they want this guy for leaking top secret info.

I imagine their main concern is what else he has and may leak.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by pigsy2400

I imagine their main concern is what else he has and may leak.

greenwald (i hope thats his name), the guardian reporter who set this in motion hasalready said in several interviews i have seen on CNN that there is more to come, so thier concern is at least warranted. As a matter of perspective i eagerly await such info.
Heck, he cant really get into much more trouble as it is but i feel it might be mis-information in attempt to stay the sword, only time will tell.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Thanks for that.

It seems the most logical thing to me. An intentional leak.
Notice how Obama jumped out IMMEDIATELY on this issue with a list of counter points. Yet on the other scandals, he won't touch them with a ten foot pole.

Hell, he said it himself when he said, "I welcome this debate."

Of course he does! He has a list of excuses already lined up!
1. Not his program.
2. Old news.
3. Congress knows.

I mean they are halfway finished with a 1,000,000 square feet facility designed JUST FOR housing this info! This isn't secret at all! At least not in practical terms! Most here on ATS have known about this for YEARS now. And in the meantime, the MSM has stopped talking about the IRS scandal. That is where the meat is.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Amazing,all this time I thought NSA types were brainwashed serial killer types.Wow this guy is human!He has a conscience!These are brave people who deserve Nobel Peace Prizes.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
EDWARD SNOWDEN MISSING IN HONG KONG!!

www.bbc.co.uk...

It was only a matter of time i suppose.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moohide
EDWARD SNOWDEN MISSING IN HONG KONG!!

www.bbc.co.uk...

It was only a matter of time i suppose.

If he ends up dead, that would be a complete disaster for the Obama Administration.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
Seems what Snowden feared is happening - what some of you on this thread have been pointing to. Is this just the Obama loving media in action or by design?

Obama’s welcome plot twist: Edward Snowden

It’s a reprieve for Obama, who was taking hits in the press, from Democrats and even some Republicans for running a program they cried is too reminiscent of the George W. Bush era– a new storyline that takes the focus off Obama, even briefly.

“There are 50 new storylines, all of which lead away from Obama,” said Paul Begala, the former Bill Clinton strategist who has seen his share of political firestorms.

Snowden may even draw some of the fire away from the Obama administration’s other scandals — especially the IRS targeting of conservative groups. l

www.politico.com...

I was watching MSNBC earlier to see what kind of nonsense was being fed to the public at large

They paint a very confusing picture, and not once do they bring up the fact that prior to this, the government LIED about a program like this ever existing.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

I watched Snowden's video and read up on him.
He has been a lot of things for a man who was a mediocre student with a GED. In his interview he states "I had the authority to wire tap you, your accountant, a federal judge or even the President".
I don't think this is someone I would believe to be honest.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Moohide

It has been known all day he checked out of his hotel.
He is on the run.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
reply to post by Bilk22

Watch the spin. There are a lot of strange bedfellows forming. The media is trying to shape the argument in Obama's favor. That is clear.

It's really quite amazing. Obama could calm the storm by simply talking to the country but... he does have all that imperial arrogance so, my guess is that he won't....emphasis added

My fear is that this is going to be the first step into a truly ugly time when our nation and its people and its constitution will all be in jeopardy.

Oh, but Redoubt: he has responded, Chicago style..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That didn't sound at all to me like somebody calming anything...
au contrair. That sounded like something out of a back room
somewhere on LaSalle St where the little guy gets intimidated.
I didn't even have to be wearing a WIRE to see it and hear it...
he actually said it while the conference was hot.

I'd rather at this point attempt to live through a truly ugly time
(already am) than watch any more huge quantities of offal troweled
onto that constitution. Another miter o' bricks over here... man are dey stinky.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I guess anything's possible.

It's a gamble though. If enough people get fired up about the snooping, it could backfire, but I guess he's counting on the lapdog press and the jersey shore watching masses to carry on as usual.

I hope Snowden is the real thing.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by supremecommander

Kudos to you for even being able to watch MSNBC!
But, I agree, the spin on this sends me to vom.com.

edit on 10-6-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join