It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind revelations of NSA surveillance

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I have not been "brainwashed". I am being logical. Mr Snowden has now divulged information that enemies of both the United States of America and Great Britain can learn from and study. The use of PRISM would have undoubtedly prevented serious crimes from taking place. My opinion is the same as President Obama's. In this day and age 100 per cent privacy cannot be reasonably expected when communicating electronically as it has become a tool used by terrorists and other criminals who launch cyber attacks.
edit on 9-6-2013 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

+20 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorT
Edward Snowden is NOT an American hero. I sincerely hope the security services start extradition proceedings and take him back to the US where he can be placed in front of a judge to answer for his actions. The leak of the information to The Guardian was reckless and Mr Snowden should never have breached national security. PRISM is in place for the right reasons - to protect people.

Protect people from what? You have a better chance of being hit by a bus or falling out of an airliner than the crap you're suggesting. The only reason this system was put in place was to protect the bums that are running our nation and all the rest, into the ground. It protects special interests. Not the average Joe. Not the guy who makes the country what it is. This type of surveillance is to protect big business and watch the backs of our dear elected officials. This guy is a true hero with a lot of balls!!!!!!

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Please watch the video, it's incredibly important and basically confirms a lot of what we talk about here.

1) The intelligence community are extremely powerful and basically a law unto themselves
2) None of them want to speak out
3) The end-goal is arguably complete control of citizens / tyranny

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I have not been "brainwashed". I am being logical. Mr Snowden has now divulged information that enemies of both the United States of America and Great Britain can learn from and study. The use of PRISM would have undoubtedly prevented serious crimes from taking place. My opinion is the same as President Obama's. In this day and age 100 per cent privacy cannot be reasonably expected when communicating electronically as it has become a tool used by terrorists and other criminals who launch cyber attacks.

Waut a minute... The US is SUPPOSED to be an open government ran by the people. No secrets... Plus there is no need to collect data from all the innocents also. Our constitution protects against this. So are you telling us that you wish to use our constitution as toilet paper?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Edward Snowden is NOT an American hero. I sincerely hope the security services start extradition proceedings and take him back to the US where he can be placed in front of a judge to answer for his actions. The leak of the information to The Guardian was reckless and Mr Snowden should never have breached national security. PRISM is in place for the right reasons - to protect people.

and I agree with you, IF what he said was harmful to national security. these programs are so well known that even dumb criminals do not use their own phones. they use stolen ones or burner phones, which have been talked about and/or used in most every badguy/goodguy movie and badguy./goodguy TV show for years and years. now, if this guy revealed something other than "our government can access our communications" then yes....put him before a judge, and if he is guilty of espionage throw him in prison, and toss the key

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
reply to post by noonebutme

I agree with you that no one is that stupid, BUT you had only proven yourself to be that one.

Oh, how so? Elaborate please. All I said was your post as well as the other foolish one were complete nonsense.

Spare me your personal insults and accusations, because when it comes from the mentally challenged, it is doubly worse.

No, i won't spare you. I'm entitled to my opinion, just as your are entitled to yours, albeit stupid. Calling me mentally challenged? Lame...

As mentioned, the fool Snowden is not a target. The REAL wanted person/persons are the ones who gave him the information.

What do you mean those who "gave him the information" ? He had it - he was a system admin for these systems in question, seeing all the questionable activities the users were performing and simply couldn't sit quiet. He knew what would happened - he painted a bleak but fairly realistic future scenario.

No one "gave" him the Powerpoint slides - he knew what it was. What the hell are you on about?

Support the fool all you want. Birds of a feather flocks together. Unfortunately, this is not disneyland or the best of times for idiots like Snowden to exist.

He should have quit journalism if he can't hack it and worked in a hot dog stand in disneyland or be a social worker in africa is he has that high amount of conscience he egoistically claimed, if he knows not the responsibiilites of being a true investigative journalist - you can't screw the world with irresponsible journalism hidden under the guise of journalistic freedom. Freedom and ego has its limits to society. Snowden had crossed his and WILL be made accountable. .

You're saying that, if you are hired as a specific role and then notice that, over time, it's not what it was meant to be and in fact, is probably breaking all sorts of privacy laws - you should simply "like it and lump it"? Jesus. You have no moral fibre in you, do you?

edit on 9-6-2013 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
It appears he might've donated $250 to Ron Paul's presidential campaign last year as well.

images.nictusa.com...

NSA whistleblower + Ron Paul supporter definitely makes a lot of sense even though we can't be sure if its the same guy.
edit on 9-6-2013 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This guy is a hero, beyond what Manning and others did because he hand-picked documents that would not harm any individual people but would reveal what's happening. I applaud him.

2nd line.

~Namaste

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Suppose you walk into work one day and see the goverment water boarding your janitors. Does this mean that you can not speak out about this or else risk being tried for espionage? Deja vue, where have we seen similar principles before?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Edward Snowden has my full support.

Good on him! I hope more people like him come forward.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Helping what terrorists? Where? I see no one trying to kill us/spy on us/imprison us falsely except my own government.

Got fear?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina

Waut a minute... The US is SUPPOSED to be an open government ran by the people. No secrets... Plus there is no need to collect data from all the innocents also. Our constitution protects against this. So are you telling us that you wish to use our constitution as toilet paper?

no secrets?...so, do you want all American personal that maybe secretly listening in, or embedded into radical islamists groups to be exposed???....do you want the addresses, social security #'s, and itineraries of our top officials and their families to be public knowledge??? do you want to the entire world to know where our navy ships and subs are at any given time??? do you want the entire world to know the security measures we have in place for our electrical grids, our nuclear storage, our weapons, our government, etc???
and speaking of those great men that wrote the constitution....you don't think they kept secrets from the American people of the thirteen colonies?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme

[You're saying that, if you are hired as a specific role and then notice that, over time, it's not what it was meant to be and in fact, is probably breaking all sorts of privacy laws - you should simply "like it and lump it"? Jesus. You have no moral fibre in you, do you?

You need not question my moral fibre, but judging by your post, you should question yours. Are insults are that you are capable of? It only shows how insecure you are that you had to stoop so low in order to bring yourself up, instead of letting your messange stand, which proves it cannot stand on its own by your pathetic actions.

When a person is hired for a job, and cannot do that job, he should quit instead of making up pathetic excuses like yours to justify their own existance. If breaking laws are that which concerns and hurt his personal conscience, then what about breaking societal laws over national security information?

Being in UK does not justify as it as UK is a NATO ally and do have national security laws.

Your hero worship is ludicrious, but then, to each his own. Suicide bombers had been known to worship Osama, the killer of innocents. So your worship is not that strange afterall.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I wrote this in another thread, but I think it applicable here as well.

For those that still don't get it,

Imagine the government breaking into your home and taking your diary. Now you haven't written anything bad, so you have nothing to worry about, right? And the government says, well, we did break into your home, and we did steal your diary, but we haven't read it.

So there's nothing to worry about.

Right?

I mean, the proponents for government see no problem with this.

Right?

All Edward Snowden did was tell us that the government is breaking into our homes, violating the 4th Amendment just in case one of us turns out to be a "terrorist".

edit on 9-6-2013 by beezzer because: n

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSpanishArcher
Helping what terrorists? Where? I see no one

That alone is priceless. YOU SEE NO ONE. It says it all.

May one day your blinders fall off and your eyes and brains open fully and see the realities everyone ( or at least most, as there are still fools that tries to justify their blindness) sees in this international fight against terrorism and terorists whom hide amongst us.
edit on 9-6-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
reply to post by jimmyx

Suppose you walk into work one day and see the goverment water boarding your janitors. Does this mean that you can not speak out about this or else risk being tried for espionage? Deja vue, where have we seen similar principles before?

of course you could speak out, but first I would call the police. IF these were government agents and if these were true janitors, and I walked in on them doing this, my ability to speak out would immediately be in doubt.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
good for him, he came to the frony of the line,knowing he his putting hisself and family in danger.

another thing while its on my mind. i see post like they have to more power etc etc or when will all this BS from the government stop. Im tired of hearing this in, just about any thread i visit. yes you have freedom of speech so you can say what you want, but its our fault they have so much power and think they are above the law, we sit here and take it and listen to their evey word an all we do is sit on our lazy tails and complain an complain about how messed up our lifes are because of the government. all i can say is this.....STOP ASKING WHEN THEY WILL STOP, BECAUSE THEY NEVER WILL. STOP COMPLAINING ALL THE TIME AND GET OFF YOUR LAZY TAILS AND DO SOMETHING.......i really wish i could do something but its gonna take more than one person to march agaisnt our government.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
You need not question my moral fibre,

But I am because from what I get of your position, it's put up or shut up - no option for someone to stand up and voice a concern when there is something wrong. You suggest one should live in fear and oppression rather than stand up for what they believe in. Shame.

Are insults are that you are capable of?

Nope, but damned good fun when they rile someone so easily

When a person is hired for a job, and cannot do that job, he should quit instead of making up pathetic excuses like yours to justify their own existance.

Pathetic excuses? Such as? What excuse did I make up in my example? All I said was if the job turned out to be something other than what it should be, and had severe implications in social privacy, why not stand up and point it out? I though this is what you guys lived for - correcting the social injustices of the world? PRISM appears to be one of the biggest...

If breaking laws are that which concerns and hurt his personal conscience, then what about breaking societal laws over national security information?

And I believe in his video he isn't shying away from that - he readily admits what he did but said it wasnt for personal gain, power or money or worse of all, to hurt the US. It was to try and "stop" what he sees as a colossal social injustice - which I reckon many people on ATS and...."the World" also agree.

Your hero worship is ludicrious, but then, to each his own. Suicide bombers had been known to worship Osama, the killer of innocents. So your worship is not that strange afterall.

Holy hell. How the flip did you go from me worshiping him as a hero (which i clearly said i didn't and he wasn't) to implying I sit next to Osama bin Laden? You're f**ked in the head, mate. Sorry but you've gone right off the deep end with that last bit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join