It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you support a military coup of the US Government? Even if it was short term?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I had this conversation with a friend who espoused that if the military really honored their oath, they would overthrow the government and take over.

But he really didn’t think it over because when I asked him, “Then what happens afterward?” He didn’t have an answer other than they are all corrupt. “Hell, I told him, you can’t look in any direction and not find corruption.”

“But something has to be done!” he replied.

So I decided to play devil’s advocate and provided a scenario for him and see if he liked it. Granted, it’s farfetched and more than likely such a conspiracy would be found out as there are way too many pieces in play.

Here we go….down the rabbit hole. ( C’mon Beezzer! Clean your house for cripes sake! Oops, sorry, this is Wrabbits house.
)

Let’s suppose for a minute that the Joint Chief of Staff actually believes in his oath to defend the U.S. from "all enemies, foreign and domestic" and he has decided that the current Government is classified as a domestic enemy. And he has the support of all the branches of the services.

But in order to do that, he would have to classify all three branches as hostile, wouldn’t he? And he would also need some people in positions within other agencies as well. (See why I’m saying that I doubt this will ever happen?)

So the day comes and the event takes place. The POTUS and his Cabinet, Congress and the SCOTUS are all placed in protective custody. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Nice and quiet, no one gets hurt.

Next, he goes on air and addresses the Nation and informs the populace that even though a coup has taken place, current laws will be enforced according to the Constitution and there will be a continuity of government and that he has no desire to run the country and will step down upon the election of a provincial government that will be elected by the people, not electoral, within one year and a budget for each candidate will not exceed One million dollars. This will apply to all candidates and will be enforced. Even the politicians under house arrest can run if they so choose. Only those with valid ID’s will be able to vote.

Once the new temporary government is in place, they will either reinstate or submit replacements for the SCOTUS.

Once all three branches of government are reconstituted, elections will be held as before but with the budgetary restraints in place.

That was my “What if” to my friend and I asked him what he thought about it. He still didn’t have an answer. Or even a comeback.

So I thought I would pass it by y’alls grey matter. What are your thoughts?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Sounds like a good case of old fashioned treason.

We should talk more...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
In no way would I support a military coup. The war machine is no better than the rest of the government.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I think it is in my best interest to refrain from giving any sort of opinion on such a hypothetical situation. There may be an extra special "list" for people who entertain such thoughts, and I'd prefer not to be on it. As a member of ATS I figure I'm on enough "lists" already!

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I've got my own lists as well. BWHAhahahaha!

Such as, I've done my laundry.

Still need to vacuum and dust though.

Wait a second...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by spartaocean
Sounds like a good case of old fashioned treason.

Ya think?

But the victors do write the history books after all.

I don't think my little scenario would ever happen, and if it did, it wouldn't be peaceful. Maybe at first, but once the shock wore off, I think there would be chaos.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Just remember the "PRISM program may look for stuff like this on the net", you know what I mean, I don't want you to

get flagged an put on there hot sheet.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
(hurriedly does housekeeping) No one said you were all coming over!

Seriously, thats a tough one. Let me say that in spirit, and if we assume the leaders of that were acting in the best traditions of our armed forces in honorable intent? I would support it at this point. It may well take that level of short term, absolute control to hit the reset button. The Federal Reserve, for instance, can pound their fist and bitch to the moon about how "You can't DO this!!" but tell that to the business end of the muzzle of an M1 Main Battle Tank at the front door of the NY Location......as troops pour past it to seize the Fed by force and conduct that AUDIT we've been wanting.

On the other hand, what gives me pause, is how political the brass levels of Military have become. Who is to say the leaders aren't in it for their own rotten ends and a 'temporary' hold on power won't become years of it, as other nations have seen happen? I think the world has seen both the good AND bad sides of this play out and in recent decades. Which side would America be?

Hard to say....and that is why I'd say no. The gamble would be too high to break something that literally cannot be fixed or tried again afterward.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by spartaocean

I'm just a little fish trying to survive in a pond full of big fish. But I'm not going to let Prism or any such program prevent me from thinking.

I'm a aspiring writer...thinking and imagination is required. If I want to be successful anyways.
edit on 9-6-2013 by TDawgRex because: corrected spelling...some writer, eh?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I'd stay out of it. I'm not going to pick sides, I am just a person who likes to live out in the country and lets others do what they do. Why should I support someone who will possibly make things worse. I know we have problems in our government that need to be straightened out. People in government taking bribes need to go to prison, we do not need a coup. A bribe includes a high paying job after they get out of their government job.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

On the other hand, what gives me pause, is how political the brass levels of Military have become. Who is to say the leaders aren't in it for their own rotten ends and a 'temporary' hold on power won't become years of it, as other nations have seen happen?

Egypt comes to mind as for recent events. The military said it was only temporary. But they are still having a hell of a time over there. And it really hasn't been to peaceful either.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I agree with you on that level. It is up to us of our country to be on the square. We as Americans should not have to

live in fear, or hide in the shadows of our own government nor any other Nations and private corporations.

I know my family never wanted something like this happening in my life or my children's lives. But, since it is, we

should do our best to change for what is right, for our future values and lives.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

No way would I support a military coup!

If ousting the federal government doesn't get initiated 'for the people', by 'we the people' than revisiting the trying times in the future would only come all the more quicker. Violence isn't needed... tanks and guns aren't needed. How about not buying into what is currently being done? Maybe stop giving them your money, or stop voting these incompetent retards into office is a better approach. 300,000,000 of us should not be participating in any of the federal governments wrong doings until we've elected an entirely new group of officials into office.

The military should support the masses in their wishes and demands for new leadership... not the other way around.

I do support limited funding of election campaigns though.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Some would say by not picking sides (such as in this scenario) you are supporting the coup. But I think I know where you’re coming from.

And as for the bribery and corruption thing, that is why I placed a set monetary amount while running a election campaign. It places the rungs a bit lower and would allow others to run on equal footing with the powerhouses of politics.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ttobban

The military should support the masses in their wishes and demands for new leadership... not the other way around.

That is what the scenario was about. Upholding their oath...against all enemies, foreign and domestic. And doing so in a violent, yet peaceful manner.

But that is what it is. A scenario or maybe a daydream if that floats your boat. Nothing more. Just something to get the juices and conversation flowing.
edit on 9-6-2013 by TDawgRex because: Thank God for spell check and curse the damn thing as well!

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

That is what the scenario was about. Upholding their oath...against all enemies, foreign and domestic. And doing so in a violent, yet peaceful manner.

But that is what it is. A scenario or maybe a daydream if that floats your boat. Nothing more. Just something to get the juices and conversation flowing.
edit on 9-6-2013 by TDawgRex because: Thank God for spell check and curse the damn thing as well!

Personally, I see such a scenario being just more of the same. After all, Prism was the NSA's project and the NSA is a military agency under the DoD.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Violent yet peaceful manner? That's so funny ...you crack me up!

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by spartaocean

Just remember the "PRISM program may look for stuff like this on the net", you know what I mean, I don't want you to

get flagged an put on there hot sheet.

Well then it is already having the desired effect of destroying your right to free speech isnt it.

Either stand up for and use your rights, or throw them all away.

I for one, would love to see that exact thing happen, and watch all of the lot be thrown in prisons for life.

Though I honestly dont see how it could happen, or work out correctly, or more accurately, the way people would want it to.

Whats that line from game of thrones the mad king used right before he died....oh ya " burn them,BURN THEM ALL!!!!!".

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

No way would I support a military coup!

I do support limited funding of election campaigns though.

I would not support a military coup either, they could never be trusted. I would support this countries Sheriffs and Marshalls backed up by governor activated National Guard marching on Washington and making the arrests.

The military has never supported the masses as far as I've noticed. Not sure if SCOTUS would need to be detained either. Screw PRISM too, they already know how I feel about them.
edit on 9-6-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Just technically speaking, you have a serious contradiction. If he is going to govern the country under the Constitution, that means using the Electoral College. You can't just pick and choose what you want. Whether the Electoral College is "good or bad" is another discussion. The point is that it is fundamental to the Constitution. So your "what if" scenario fails right before it gets started.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join