It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Terrible Curse of Griffith Park

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I'm a native southern California. Alot of good ghost stories have come out of california, whaley house, winchester house. etc But I don't think alot of people know how haunted and paranormal filled Griffith park is. Stories of satanic rituals and murders to sightings of ghostly apparitions and man-beast sightings. There is definitely something supernatural in that area in general. Ghost researchers have conduced investigations at the Griffith observatory itself. And we all have watched the paranormal witness episode or the haunted white lady of the hollywood sign, which is in the same vicinity of Griffith park. Anyways there has been multiple paranormal stories that come from that area in general. As a native california I thought all the ATS posters like to read about this stuff. Hollywood in general is old and haunted but not much is known about the Griffith park paranormal stories.

the story of the curse of Griffith park
www.weirdca.com...

the famous actress white lady ghost who haunted the hollywood sign (as shown on paranormal witness)
www.franksreelreviews.com...

Haunted picnic tables(where legend says two lovers died when a tree fell on them)
www.latirnes.com...

fires claim lives during the course of Griffith park history
en.wikipedia.org...

The Griffith park observatory itself has had paranormal investigations done to the place
creepyla.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Yeah, I use to really like going to that place. When I lived in Orange county. Also, Angeles National Forest, and Trabuco-Canyon. Those have lots of history for UFO'S and "the weird" things. I myself had a few experiences.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

the Angeles nation forest, Griffith park, has been the scene of alots of murders and body dumping ground, serial killers hunting ground. I remember they found a head in a plastic bag buried at griffith park not long ago, bodies turn up all the time around these places, No wonder it's haunted. But then again my theory is, dark places like this, tend to draw, dark energies. Like the curse, ghost sightings, murders, etc

articles.latimes.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Nemox42

Yes, all that's true. Its slowed down since I moved to Florida though.

That area is big. I did a lot of camping in the Angeles National Forest. Also, further north- Sequoia National Forest, I like that much better. California is just a big place, with a lot of people.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Hey excellent thread OP. Having grown up and lived near Griffith Park my whole life I was surprised and pleased to wake up this morning and see this thread.

Growing up my friends and I mostly lived at the base of Griffith Park in the neighborhoods north of Franklin Blvd. We used to run around Griffith Park all the time. Back then there where signs here and there warning hikers not to stray off the marked trails. The signs were there for obvious safety reasons but after talking to a few cops one day they mentioned that the signs were there for safety reasons but also so you wouldn't amble across a body or crime scene (old or new/ known or undiscovered) and disturb the evidence if any. Lots of bodies were being dumped there. Maybe still are.

So, often times when hiking and going off the trail like most teenagers are want to do, we'd pause and all notice that this "spot" wherever we were at the time, had bad Ju Ju. There are little groves of thickets and scrub hidden in the growth where you can feel the tension or haunted presence. Like something bad happened at that spot.

I didn't know that the observatory was haunted. That's cool. I have some fun stories about hiking up to that place at night when you weren't supposed to as a teenager with all of my friends. We never did run into any ghosts once up there but we did like to spook the security guards on patrol there.

Many places in the hills around griffith and even hollywood are pretty darned haunted. Theres the infamous bronson caves nearby where a lot of bad stuff went on. and a less known area west of the cauhuenga pass is outpost canyon. There are spots around there that have a lot of haunted houses. Now the area is the new posh place for hip ultra rich celebrities to live, called the outpost estates now or something like that. But many of the homes in that section of outpost are haunted.

Glad to see a thread about Griffith Park. Long time overdue. The place is definitely haunted in spots, and if the spirits don't get you, well there is always the multitude of fearless coyotes, and the occasional bobcats and cougars living in the same scrub brush your probably hiking by.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

Hey nice to find another local L.A haunt fan. Yea definitely, Griffith park always has been a place i remember fondly of, as a little kid I went up there to the observatory for school field trips, the teenagers in my area would go up there in the more wooden areas and just hike around the paths and get high.

The place is really a date spot but at the same time, you have alot of gang bangers from the cities and transients that hang out there as well as a bit dangerous. I wouldn't wanna be up there walking around by myself after dark(even though I have with group of friends). You don't know who or what you might bump into (dead body/ghost of peg winslet AHHH!).

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I was impressed with the remodeling they did there a few years back. It is a good date spot and your right about the gangbangers, still better then citywalk though.

Anyways, I was interested to find out that the merrygo round area is haunted in places. I'm going to go read up on the stories regarding this. I have never likes the north side of griffith park. from travel town to the zoo the shadowy woody areas at the base of the mountain are creepy to me. I think due to easy access this is one of the areas that has the most dumpings of bodies. That and the area around the greek.

The hollywod hills are an enchanting place but walk around the older parts at night (or even sometimes during the day) and you'll notice if you pay attention enough a dark, subtle undertone to the area. There is a lot of history and tragic happenings in many of those homes. The place right next door to you might be extremely haunted but the odds are you can live next door most of your life and never find out about it. Hollywood, even the land is good at keeping her secrets.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Yes exactly. That's what I thought of when I did the research of how cursed and haunted Griffith park is. I mean every town and city all over the world has their own haunted places/local legends. But Griffith Park in general just seems to have all these dots that connect to why it's so dark as it is sometimes. I mean the place is beautiful. The view is awesome high up on the observatory. You are basically only few kilometers from the hollywood sign. You could walk to the sign if you really wanted too from the observatory, through the paths on the side. That's what me and group of friends use to do.

Not only is the park a hot bed of historical paranormal activity, but that peg winslet hollywood sign haunting scares the beejeezes out of me because I've been up near the hollywood sign walking around those paths. Basically we have our own lady in white ghost haunting the hollywood sign. For you paranormal nuts, you know a lady in white ghost haunting are a type of ghost haunting has occur in other places(resurrection Mary/la lorona/the white lady). Creepy to know you could be walking around up there and run into something like that, or a head in a plastic bag.

usatoday30.usatoday.com...
edit on 9-6-2013 by Nemox42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Theres something spooky about the hollywood hills. I grew up in a house on Outpost road about halfway up the canyon before it meets with mulholland. The place had some semi poltergeist like activity. nobody liked staying in that house. Family did some research and found out that even the native indians in the area stayed out of this one particular location in the canyon. They thought it was haunted too. A psychic said it was a portal or energy vortex. Makes sense there are underground springs that well up from the middle of outpost road. People say water energizes spirits.

One time I was driving up Lonridge dr. it's off coldwater canyon on the north side of the hills (valley side, sorta a few miles away from griffith I know) I used to enjoy as a way to relax driving around the neighborhoods up there at night looking at the architecture, landscaping and the views of the city. Sometimes pulling over and stopping just to enjoy the silence up there at night. So I was driving up Longridge and I see a person out for a late night hike going up the hill on the right hand side about 200 feet up. I slow down and start to pull towards the center of the road to politely pass the late night jogger. At first I thought the hiker was a skinny woman in her 50's wearing sweats or tan colored loose fitting pants. As I could only see her from the waist down. At first I thought her upper half was in shadow while a nearby lone street light was illuminating her from the waist down. As I got closer I squinted and looked hard and realized there was no upper half to her body. I was watching a pair of sepia/ amber colored legs walking up the hill. When I got within 25-30 feet or so they simply dissolved and vanished.

I was astounded and knew immediately what I had just seen and called by sister who is more sensitive and has more experience with the paranormal than me and told her all about it. My question is this road is in a "fancy" neighborhood and there is decent traffic going up and down it. Somebody in the neighborhood has got to have seen this apparition once or twice. Somebody other than me has got to know about it. I was just driving through. These people live there. They have got to have seen something. I googled murders and things like that for the street and only found one that was maybe a half a mile further down the road and not really where I was. I can still remember vividly the whole experience.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

e center of the road to politely pass the late night jogger. At first I thought the hiker was a skinny woman in her 50's wearing sweats or tan colored loose fitting pants. As I could only see her from the waist down. At first I thought her upper half was in shadow while a nearby lone street light was illuminating her from the waist down. As I got closer I squinted and looked hard and realized there was no upper half to her body. I was watching a pair of sepia/ amber colored legs walking up the hill. When I got within 25-30 feet or so they simply dissolved and vanished.

Creepiest thing I've read in a while. Gah.

OP, awesome thread. S&F. I really enjoy these types of stories. Have you ever experienced anything yourself?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

So you had a highway ghost experience(that's what i call this sort of haunting) around that area, very spooky. I wouldn't be surprise about that. With highway ghost experience, it might not be a murder, it could be someone had an accident or got ran over, and their ghost is what is haunting that road. Steep Curvy hilly or mountain roads go hand in hand with auto accidents. I wouldn't be surprise the apparition you saw was a hiker or a runner who got hit when she was jogging one night. The next time you drive down that road again, look out on the sides of street and look for little crosses or candle vigils on the street. They will mark a recent accident and death.

I have ran across other ATS posters and people who have had apparition experiences where the apparition is missing legs or just a head or just a pair of legs (in your case) If you look through my profile I think i even started a thread on the phenomenon

Alot of theories have been talked about why certain ghost sightings are seen as just shadows, smoke/mist, orbs, partial body apparitions or even full embody apparitions that are transparent, and the real life like apparitions. Some say its because it takes alot of energy to manifest themselves in the first place, some say the human mind itself is like a TV antenna some people just get better reception then others.

My thread theory on why some ghost sightings only manifest themselves partially.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Have I personally experience any paranormal stuff in or around griffin park myself? No, but there is a section of the park/wooden area, that is heavy with satanic graffiti, you can tell for sure someone had been practicing satanic rituals there at night. Alot of kids go up there and mess around its a teenage hang out spot. And like I said griffin park has been known to be a body dumping ground. It's not uncommon for hikers or rangers to be walking down a path or side road and come across a half buried corpse or missing person. Alot of evil stuff happens there, and evil people alive or dead tend to always be drawn to places that give off negative energies. And trust me there are plenty of evil/negative things that happen in hollywood in general, griffith park is sort of like the backyard of all the stuff. Alot of historical tragedy around that place, suicides, murders, satanic worshiping, fires that claim many lives. I always felt that something with off about griffith park and the wooded areas around it, with the whole story of it being cursed back when mexico still owned california, and like the other poster said, even the indians knew something was off about this place. Just sort of verify alot of things.

As for my own ghostly experiences, There is another thread where I talk about couple of my own experience with the supernatural. I don't think I'm as sensitive as alot of people who can see them as clear as day but most of the time I can sense them and I've definitely had someone or something whisper right in my ear when i was alone so that freaked me out. Didn't happen around Griffith park, but in a new house I just moved into.

Old thread on the paranormal experiences I have encountered:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I'm not sure if you guys watch paranormal witness on cable TV, but they did a Hollywood sign haunting segment last season and these kids are retelling a story of how they ran into the lady in white peg enslet ghost one midnight as they were trespassing and hiking up the paths around the park to get to the Hollywood sign.(basically Griffith park area). I'm so glad when I use to go up around there, I didn't run into her. I would have wet my pants, seriously.

Score, they a clip on youtube, but i recommend you guys just download the torrent on pirate bay or something. Enjoy for people that aren't familiar with the story.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Yes, I've seen all those in California also (the animals you mentioned). One time I was driving up to Mount Palomar Observatory (very neat drive I must say) going way up the mountain, there was snow up there also. My wife yelled out look a bobcat! I stopped the car and got out and was calling here kitty kitty...she got so pissed ha ha ah ..yelling at me to get back in the car.

That 200 inch telescope was very cool. Neat place to visit. (see it on google earth if you can't go in person)

Like I said, Calif. is big. Lots of national parks and stuff..

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Yeah that is a nice drive going up to mt Wilson n the palomar observatory. I think it's the place the ufo hunters were using for their headquarters segements. It sure seemed like they were renting out one of the telescopes or office attached for one season. Could have been a different show on one of those channels.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This is probably gonna make me sound like one of those spelling/grammar Nazis but I just couldn't help it...

The Hollywood sign's woman in white's name was Peg Entwistle.

I'm sorry...I'm not trying to be snarky or anything less than pleasant. I just wanted her to be remembered by her real name Entwistle instead of Winslet. I'll admit, Winslet is kinda close to Entwistle...Winslet has the same letters, just mixed up and missing an extra T and E..

LOL, I'd probably be a pissed off ghost too if I died and everyone called me Jennifer Butler or Jennifer Culter instead of my correct name, especially if I killed myself because I couldn't get the recognition I wanted.
edit on 6/10/2013 by jcutler12888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jcutler12888

yea its a pretty sad story. Frankly, I think she probably didn't die right away when she took the swan dive off the H on the hollywood sign. She probably laid there dying in the brush after she broke her back or hip. A hiker found her body the next day or something. She probably thought the suicide was going to be quick and painless, but it wasn't. Poor girl.

Oh and sorry for the misspelling on her name. it is peg entwistle. She was a local actress back in the 1930s.

Pretty cool though to have our own local lady in white legend.
edit on 10-6-2013 by Nemox42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

She will visit you soon and thank you

I saw a UFO up in the Angeles National Forest. I've mentioned it somewhere on this site. But...it was a crazy looking glob of lights going over a hill way up in the mountains as my buddy and I were heading for our camp site.

We pulled over (it was around 11:30 pm) and nobody was on this road but us. We walked to this clearing where the thing floated over a hill...it was gone..but, up in the sky where we last saw it was a giant cloud that looked like an alien head!

We ran back to the car. That was a while back, but my friend was a bit more freaked out than I was, he'd never want to talk about in the months and years to come.

That was sort of a brief description of that night. True though.

edit on 10-6-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nemox42

yea its a pretty sad story. Frankly, I think she probably didn't die right away when she took the swan dive off the H on the hollywood sign. She probably laid there dying in the brush after she broke her back or hip. A hiker found her body the next day or something. She probably thought the suicide was going to be quick and painless, but it wasn't. Poor girl.

Oh and sorry for the misspelling on her name. it is peg entwistle. She was a local actress back in the 1930s.

Pretty cool though to have our own local lady in white legend.

You're probably right...she probably died a slow, painful death. So sad.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY

She will visit you soon and thank you

I saw a UFO up in the Angeles National Forest. I've mentioned it somewhere on this site. But...it was a crazy looking glob of lights going over a hill way up in the mountains as my buddy and I were heading for our camp site.

We pulled over (it was around 11:30 pm) and nobody was on this road but us. We walked to this clearing where the thing floated over a hill...it was gone..but, up in the sky where we last saw it was a giant cloud that looked like an alien head!

We ran back to the car. That was a while back, but my friend was a bit more freaked out than I was, he'd never want to talk about in the months and years to come.

That was sort of a brief description of that night. True though.

edit on 10-6-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

LOL, nah...she stays in the LA area and probably wouldn't feel like traveling to the opposite coast just to visit li'l ol' me, haha.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join