It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GCHQ letter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Hi everybody Ever since this new GCHQ scandal came out I've been trying to find a way to kick up as much of a fuss as possible and I though I would share with you guys here a email I have just sent to my local mp.
I really think its important that as many people as possible do something and while one letter by itself wont change to world sitting on our donkeys (asses) twiddling our thumbs and moaning about how everything sucks wont change things either,
This is a pivotal moment in history one way or another this is either the moment we gave up on the notion of privacy or the moment we realized how bad things had really got and started to change things.

Dear Mr Turner

I am to be blunt furious beyond words at the revelations that have come out in the last few days regarding the NSA's prism program and more relevantly its connection to the GCHQ.

I have on 3 previous occasions had dealings with you, twice in letter and once in person and while we haven’t always agreed you have shown more integrity than I am quickly coming to expect from politicians both here and abroad.
his is why I am bothering to write this letter now a desperate hope that there are still some MPs that care more about fighting the cancer of fascism that has reared its putrid head in America and has clearly began to spread to this country. Although I hope you clearly understand its threat I will attempt to clearly lay it out to you in case you doubt otherwise or are in any way unsure.

Firstly This form of mass surveillance is fascist and I do literally mean fascist as in Mussolini kind of fascist.
This kind of big brother policy was warned about being a threat to this country by George Orwell most obviously in his book nineteen-eighty-four (which I will quite happily send you a copy of if you have yet to read it) but also while his works had obvious references to the risks of communist revolution he openly stated that a lot of his reasoning behind his writing was concerns that a subtle creeping fascism was slowly forming in this country.

Secondly there has been a consistent erosion of many, many civil liberties since 9/11 and in many ways even before that.
At what point will this erosion stop.
Many of these rights were born from suffering and defended with the lives of many brave heroes.
Ten years ago if you had claimed that the government as involved in this kind of disgusting behavior you would have been branded a paranoid conspiracy theorist or worse, so I cant help but wonder where we will be in another 10, 20 or 30 years.

Thirdly you know your colleagues much better than I do can you honestly say that you trust all of them now or in the future that might plausibly rise to a position to have access to this data not to abuse it.

What about their successors can you guarantee that all of them will be beyond repute. This kind surveillance is to dangerous to be entrusted to ANY government or agency even if it is well intentioned.

Fourthly some of the data recovered in this fashion will be highly sensitive in nature the kind of information that can be used to blackmail or discredit politician’s such as yourself or anyone who disagrees with the government or works peacefully to bring about change.
This tactic has been used time and time again by governments around the world to perpetrate injustices and worse. fifthly What happens if this data is stolen by a foreign power or terrorist the kind of damage it could do is almost beyond imagining.

sixthly This information has been gathered by the possibly illegal and certainly immoral spying of a foreign nation! America is obviously going through a great change from a constitutional republic to, something else and when the dust settles can we guarantee the historic alliance will still be there, even if it is America has shown signs of not always having our best interests at heart and could use this kind of information against us especially if MPs such as your self and other government figures have been betrayed by your own government and haven’t been informed of this risk.
Also this information has been shared with the UK but what other countries have been given access to this data possibly even more access than us, can you say that these unknown countries have our best interest at heart.

Lastly, if history has taught me anything it is that scandals are like cockroaches for every one that come to light there are at least 2 more scuttling around somewhere I really don't want anymore surprises like this one.
These are a brief overview of my biggest concerns as I hope you agree they amount to a huge crisis Britain is at a cross roads.

Obviously you will have many people with many different opinions on how to deal with this fascist atrocity of policy in your constituency but I would like to suggest how I think you should deal with it.
However you do respond to this please listen to your constituents and the dark rumbling of history rushing around us and try to stop this.

Firstly and most importantly Irrespective of what the conservative official stance is please work with any and all MPs brave enough to stand up to this no matter their party.
This is intolerable and must be stopped.
Secondly even if this country stops abusing civil liberties America is still taking these hostile actions against us and everyone else, We need to put what ever political pressure is necessary onto America to stop, possibly allying with other countries on this issue will give us enough clout to do what must be done.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email, I apologize at its length. I will be posting this email online as well as your response.

Desperately

edit on 9-6-2013 by monkofmimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
is anyone else planning to contact their mp, protest or do anything about this?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Yep i'll be addressing this with my elected official my chain of command and other officials that I interact with - that's upto 3 star generals and their civilian equivalent ....the occasional 4 star
I deliver a number if lessons and briefs on opsec and comsec among other things ( operational and communication security ) to NATO and other forces/nations
This is going to make an interesting case study and example that I will use to influence those that come to me for instruction, advice and guidance
I already warn my courses about blanket surveillance and describe face books ability to access your mic/camera/video at their discretion through your smart phone without your knowlege or permission ( apart from accepting T&C's )

Hey add these two together ...........does the US gov, through its back door into these companies like Facebook now also have the ability to access your mic/camera/video ? ...........could this be possible ?
Could the extreme of what we've thought to be true be real ?
Could that batman scenario be a reality ?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Rand Paul is starting a class action lawsuit to take to the supreme court. This is where we will get our action!
edit on 9-6-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

sounds very promising if I'm eligible (as an American abroad) I'll defiantly be joining him

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

I hope that the lawsuit is successful, but a certain niggling feeling in my hind brain seems to be whispering things like "The bastards have this sewn up. The lawyers who work against this system will be discredited, redacted, removed or silenced more likely by the vast amount of data they use and excrete. Every arguement, and every document, every witness and every judge will be examined and flummoxed at every turn..."

Perhaps I am becoming prematurely cynical in my no where near old age, but this PRISM thing... I really do not think it is under enough/any oversight from independant sources to believe that any legal proceeding against its progenitors is likely to even get of the ground, let alone succeed. This is why such systems shouldnt be created in the first place, no matter what the stated intention of thier creators might be in doing so.

new topics

top topics

join