It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIP Arturo Vega

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Arturo Vega,frequently called the fifth Ramone ,and a punk rock icon ,passed away yesterday .Cause of his death has not been revealed ,but he was an avid runner and health buff , in his later years.
Arturo designed and printed all the Ramones tee shirts sold during their tours ,and did their live lighting design .
Arrangements for his funeral have not been released .

We will miss you Artie .

consequenceofsound.net...

Arturo Vega, the artist behind The Ramones’ iconic logo, has died at the age of 65, according to the San Francisco Bay Guardian.

A native of Mexico, Vega not only served as the band’s artistic director for 22 years, but also opened his home to Joey and Dee Dee during their formative years. Later, he served as the band’s archivist.

News of Vega’s death was announced by Legs McNeil, the author of Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk, who wrote in a statement, “Sleep gently my dear friend, you were the must optimistic, jubilant and fun pal anyone could wish for. I don’t know what the world will be like without, nor do I want to even imagine it… But I know you will find eternal happiness wherever you end up….I love you Arturo.”
edit on 6/9/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/9/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
R.I.P. Artie.
Those that new him said he was one of the most fun people you could imagine.
I always dug The Ramones logo and his artwork. He was on the ground floor of the
70s punk emergence. What a time that was!

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

I knew him . I was a Ramones fan waaayy back . I knew them all.
They're all,together again now tho. Those guys were his best friends .
He literally lived at cbgbs .

I'm wondering what's going to happen to all the stuff in his apartment. He has memorabilia you wouldn't believe ,and no next of kin that I know of .
I assume he had a will......

He's been in that apartment since the early 70s I think......
I'm just in shock .

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by PtolemyII

That is so cool that you knew him and the Ramones. I have relatives in NYC and had the pleasure of being taken to cbgb's and max's kc back in the early 80s. That scene was just surreal. The music it spawned was insane!

Robert Quine, Tom Verlaine....

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColeYounger
reply to post by PtolemyII

That is so cool that you knew him and the Ramones. I have relatives in NYC and had the pleasure of being taken to cbgb's and max's kc back in the early 80s. That scene was just surreal. The music it spawned was insane!

Robert Quine, Tom Verlaine....

That's awesome you can say you've been to Maxs . Most people have no idea what that is now .
CBGBs shirts are like a,fashion statement now ,as are Ramones tee shirts . They have no idea what it really means in some cases .

It's so sad the band didn't live to see it .

We used to go back and forth between Maxs and CBs.
There was a band we wanted to see at one or the other ,and then we checked out the other for our friends who hung out there .
Both places did have a slightly different scene.

Wwaaayyy in the beginning ,there was a club up the street from CBs ,called Gildersleeves .
It was more heavy metal .
Bands like THOR,Piper and STARZ played there.
I met tommy lee there before even the first Motley C album came out .Manowar too .
It closed long before Maxs did.

They were great times .
After we lost Maxs ,stuff like Limelight and The Cat Club filled the void.
Then Continetal and Coney Island High .....

Now nothing. There are no clubs at all,for cool bands ,in nyc,at all.
There's no more music scene ....it sucks.

top topics

join