It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suppose we lived in paradise and everybody had what they needed and wanted - how would we BE (think/

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
This is an interesting thing to think about and I have a short answer for this and I believe it would lead to a very depressing society because we would feel that we have everything we need, therefor we wouldn't try to discover anything else or learn about anything else. It would be a society that has basically reached the plateau effect. Thats what I think.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Suppose we lived in paradise and everybody had what they needed and wanted - how would we BE

We would want more.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
The problem with your OP is that what you advocate is not really a perfect paradise. You see, in a truly perfect paradise, everybody would be happy and everybody would still have the capacity to feel compassion and have the desire to help others. There would still be a yearning to think and share ideas with others as well as have new experiences where everyone develops their knowledge further.

Longing and yearning for something not here does not feel like a positive emotion - eager, maybe - but longing and yearning - not really.

And why would anyone need to be helped if they are in paradise? Help would not be needed in such a perfect world.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Bored again in paradise,

I'm a bored again Christian.
I know I know, Lord forgive me, I'm bad.

But seriously OP the paradise you speak of, in my mind, is achievable in
todays world if we (mankind ) make a jump so to speak.

We have to realize there is truth in the words " For the love of money, is the root of all evil "
Just think for a moment about that paradise.
Would money or any form of currency or marker for energy spent be part of
a real paradise ? Of course not.
edit on 9-6-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by SaturnFX

Paradise for me is a nice barbecue with family and friends, all healthy, laughing, and good food. Temporary, but achievable often in life.

You inspired me. I've got more.

Bored again in paradise,
Nothing much to do.
Bored again in paradise,
But it's all right if I'm with you.

C'mon...Everybody sing!

Phage. I live in the south.
I will not be responsible for having a hand in making another Jimmy Buffet.
Avoid the temptation..walk away..just walk away.

Besides,
Barbecue is on the grill,
Tanned skin on the beach
Day is bright and the musics on,
They're playing my favorite beat.
Bored in paradise
Nothin mu....

Godda--it! you got me doing it now.
-goes to play goth music and grump-

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Phage

Bored again in paradise,

I'm a bored again Christian.
I know I know, Lord forgive me, I'm bad.

But seriously OP the paradise you speak of, in my mind, is achievable in
todays world if we (mankind ) make a jump so to speak.

We have to realize there is truth in the words " For the love of money, is the root of all evil "
Just think for a moment about that paradise.
Would money or any form of currency or marker for energy spent be part of
a real paradise ? Of course not.
edit on 9-6-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

I think it would depend on what version of paradise your talking about.
Keep in mind, paradise is fully subjective.
Whereas you may see paradise as a loving happy gathering of family and friends, all healthy (the barbecue version), another may see paradise as a MTV event with gold, cars, scantly clad girls, bling, etc etc etc. And to another, a quiet library extending to eternity where they can be left alone to study and read forever, etc...

Paradise is what we desire, not some shared vision

Hell, my idea of Paradise may be your idea of hell on earth.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Well, I see one problem with this situation if it is happening in this Universe (Heaven might have different rules) - that is someone had to make everything the people in Paradise wanted through work. If the people in Paradise aren't adding to the system, likely, it would decay, even if they tried to make it sustainable.

I had a dream once that I was living in Hell, actually, but it was described the same way you describe Heaven. Except it was years later. Hell was a massive underground apartment complex in which everything everyone ever wanted had been there - but there was no creative energy - people tried to make it sustainable, of course, but toilets and plumbing stopped working,

and the place literally sucked the life force out of anyone who tried to create because it was SO EMPTY that once you tried creating, it would be sucked away by the abyss.
edit on 9-6-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

But if we lived in a perfect paradise where everyone already had whatever they wanted so we didn't need to worry about anyone else, wouldn't we be more selfish?

True paradise would exist, if everyone in it cared about the well being of all.

A sustained paradise would only be sustainable if everyone in paradise worked on keeping it.

A good idea might be to create a test.

To see who would really appreciate paradise

Or to see who would look for their own selfish interest...

Because one bad apple,

could spoil the whole bunch.............

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Bored again in paradise Nothing much to do....

I think I'll study everything, if thats alright by you.

It might take a year, might take quite a few.

Once we've studied everything, we might be bored, it's true.

Then I'll set my eye, on something old, but something new.

Another distant planet.

My favorite color

blue.....
edit on 9-6-2013 by dusty1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

There would always be some greedy sucker wanting more to hoard.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I guess it's true.

Paradise is only paradise because we make it that way.

Now, that I think about it, even in the bible it talks about heaven having a LAW to keep its peace and Satan being kicked out to not disrupt it.

Maybe it is true that there is no perfect place but the ACTIONS going on there can make it perfect if we take the right actions...

If Survival is the #1 priority of physical reality, then maybe making everyone feel safe and at peace is the #1 priority in paradise to outdo the fear of the physical priority (fear of death).

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I guess it's true.

Paradise is only paradise because we make it that way.

Now, that I think about it, even in the bible it talks about heaven having a LAW to keep its peace and Satan being kicked out to not disrupt it.

Maybe it is true that there is no perfect place but the ACTIONS going on there can make it perfect if we take the right actions...

If Survival is the #1 priority of physical reality, then maybe making everyone feel safe and at peace is the #1 priority in paradise to outdo the fear of the physical priority (fear of death).

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

I think a lot of what we think we need/want is cultural or regional in origin.

and also dependent on civilization itself. For example in this era its almost necessary to have Internet, car, phone and job to pay the bills. But its not necessary for life PERIOD because life did not need ANY of those things in the first place. Its only necessary in the society you live in and pretty soon it will an obligation to have that. just like its an obligation to have an I.D

top topics

<< 1   >>

join