It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Rover finds biggest discovery yet, NOT the "Mars Rat"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Mars could have been Habitable

The Opportunity rover spotted clay minerals in an ancient rock on the rim of Mars' Endeavour Crater, suggesting that benign, neutral-pH water once flowed through the area, scientists said. "This is water you could drink," Opportunity principal investigator Steve Squyres of Cornell University told reporters today (June 7), explaining why the rock, dubbed "Esperance," stands out from other water-soaked stones the rover has studied.

The Weather Channel LOL

NASA believes that water on mars was drinkable so now we just gotta find out if anything was drinking it?

Sky NEws

Huff Post

edit on 8-6-2013 by Tlexlapoca because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
NOT the Mars Rat!

S&F just for the title.

edit on 8-6-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
OK now that I've stopped laughing over the title, this is actually interesting. If water "was" there before maybe there is still underground aquifers that human could tap into and actually self sustain a habitat.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
No Rat...Nice!

Now we are going to have fish and frog sightings...

But now I have a question. Top left corner looks like a wall of stones. Nice and evenly lined up. Maybe even 2 walls meeting?

Any idea?

Peace

edit on 8-6-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Well about 10 million years ago when the axis of Mars was tilted differently, there would have been a lot of flowing water and likely life of some sort.

That's a long time ago, and it's been tilted in its current way for a long time. But it will tild back again one day, and you never know life may exist there again.

It probably won't exist on Earth by then, to witness it.

Or we may be floating around some nebula wondering how things are going back around ol' sol.

For all we really know, under the surface there is a plethora of life..

just no wumpuses or sabre toothed koalas.. sadly.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tlexlapoca

Mars could have been Habitable

The Opportunity rover spotted clay minerals in an ancient rock on the rim of Mars' Endeavour Crater, suggesting that benign, neutral-pH water once flowed through the area, scientists said. "This is water you could drink," Opportunity principal investigator Steve Squyres of Cornell University told reporters today (June 7), explaining why the rock, dubbed "Esperance," stands out from other water-soaked stones the rover has studied.

The Weather Channel LOL

NASA believes that water on mars was drinkable so now we just gotta find out if anything was drinking it?

I just see rocks.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Tlexlapoca

It should be noted that this is Opportunity that found these clays, not Curiosity.

However, Curiosity is also in an area where neutral-pH water is thought to have once been abundant. That's one of the reasons Gale Crater was chosen as the landing site for Curiosity -- because orbital analysis of the area several years ago had shown the area to possibly have an abundance of clay materials, and clay is known to form only in areas of that were very wet with neutral-pH water.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Hahahaha!! You don't even need the tread the title should win you poster of the year!

Drinkable water? Now that is something,I hope they find fossils are at least a rat...

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

yes, in the beginning of quoted text i posted it says The Opportunity rover

edit: i cant edit right now either i passed my 4 hour limit

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Nasa.gov

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Mars used to be a planet that was very similar to earth. Well at least that's my opinion on the matter. So having evidence of water there is kind of expected. But proof of drinkable water once flowing on the planet is astounding nonetheless because this means a lot of skeptics might be shut up. Doubtful but maybe. lol Yay mars.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Go here and download the Cosmic Voyage pdf to find all about life on Mars and beyond.

That's right somebody HAS been to Mars. Mars once had a breathable atmosphere and water and the intelligent life that came with it. Some people think that we are the Martians who had to leave because an asteroid strike blew off the atmosphere and we could no longer live on the surface there.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
They know there is life on Mars. Some of those ESA color photos show a lot of green stuff in certain areas.

The methane in the atmosphere might be geologic in origin, but is far more likely to be biologic.

Don't expect NASA to share what they really know, they just throw some scraps here and there.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Don't expect NASA to share what they really know, they just throw some scraps here and there.
Yeah, but the point is that they are getting there, but oh, so slowly. It may be subject to the 100th monkey effect. Oh.. sorry, did I say "monkey" I meant to say "scientist" Where suddenly they all know that there is life on Mars and water or liquid has been there since the first rover.

And yes I can see the rock arrangement and that coupled with some other things I have seen, lead me to believe that there is already significant life on Mars. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then...maybe it's a duck.

But, hey, what do I know? I'm not a scientist. No doubt I will get told that too 'cos we all have to tow the official line.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magister
I just see rocks.

That's the importance of looking at rocks, the rocks are the ones "telling" us that there was drinkable water a long time ago.

In a place where there are only rocks, that's what we have to use to get all the information we can.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

Show us those photos with green parts. I bet they are false-colour images.

Also, ESA is not NASA, and Russia did some Mars exploration too.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

I'll have to dig through my data DVDs to find the photos I have of green stuff, or search through the NSA website.

I'll dig around and post it back here when I find it.

Of course the European Space Agency is not NASA, it is, however, another source of information on Mars that can be compared with NASA, which is my point here.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

Is it this one? That's the one that came to my mind.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Unless NASA has picked the absolute worst possible landing sites for its rovers, which I believe is true...the lack of even basic seashells of any kind make me think Mars never has life other than maybe microbial at best. Of all the miles the rovers have covered not one seashell of any kind has been seen.

Nasa should stay out of craters as they have been blow out leaving nothing to find. Nasa should land in that huge canyon as water runs down hill and takes everything with it. In the depths of that canyon is where we might find life not in blown out craters. How much proof of ancient life is there in that huge Arizona crater? Probably none.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

hey your right

top topics

<<   2 >>

join