It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India test-fires nuclear-capable missile.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I wonder if India are testing with offense or defence in mind...or both. It's also interesting the test
was conducted 'off-shore'.

India has tested a short-range ballistic missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead off its eastern coast, defence sources said.

The Indian-made Dhanus (Bow), with a strike range of 250 kilometres was test-fired from naval ship INS Subhadra at around 12:20pm (local time) in the Bay of Bengal off the state of Orissa, the sources said.

The Indian defence sources said the Dhanus is a naval variant of India's surface-to-surface Prithivi (Earth) II missile.

www.abc.net.au...

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 05:02 AM
link   
you make statments about me, I test a missile, you buy some jets, I build some tanks...

Weren't the Europeans busy doing this sort of thing a hundred years ago?

As to off-shore....

For the last ten years we've seen endless footage of Tomahawks being launched and then seen the (almost pin-point) destruction they've wrought. Who wouldn't want that kind of capability?

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
This isn't any really big news, at least once a week a country test fires a missile, and most missile can be nuclear tipped.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
It is big news to western countries if 3rd world countries begin to obtain the means and knowhow to build weapons of this kind indigeniously. The Indian Navy is a potent entity, but some ATS posters (mostly chinese) seem to think otherwise. Its capacity supercedes defensive capabilities as carriers are not meant for defense. Hence the 'blue water' name tag. Also a 250km range missile could be used as a offensive measure or otherwise.

IMHO a sea launched missile with a 250km range wouldn't be nuclear tipped unless it was aimed at a carrier group or something. None of Indias current potential foes possess carriers hence the missile must be for conventional use only. But for me the ambiguity of the intended targets for such missiles still remains. Anybody care to elaborate?

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
This isn't any really big news, at least once a week a country test fires a missile, and most missile can be nuclear tipped.

Your correct but still the fact range and payload they carry grows all the time worries, wonder when India has ICBM capable missiles after such mass produced you can say bye bye to convience one country on its policy.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
IMHO India already has ICBM capability in theory, although they have not pursued that course of development becasue they never perceived any nation that far away as a threat. After the US, Russia, EU and China, India is only the 4th entity which has the capability to launch satelites into geosynch orbit. The amount of technical knowhow required for that is not trivial.
Although IMHO India does seem to be currently lacking in re-entry mechanisms. They are currently experimenting with heat shield designs which will be required for the lunar mission "chandrayaan" (moon vehicle) slated for 2008 or something.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
japan and brazil also posses this capability I believe

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
^^Yes my bad, Japan does possess geosynch capability but brazil does not.

news.bbc.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

join