It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who owns the Internet?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

"NSA".....didn't we all learn that a few days back?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Here, let me contribute this .. .. .. ..

He didn't invent the "WWW". What he did was attach a URL to an IP.

So, instead of having to type in a set of Octets into the address bar a URL resolves the address into a name.

Let's make a comparison. . .. .

To say that he Invented the World Wide Web is Exactly the same as Al Gore saying he Invented the Internet.

It's BullStuff and my Meter says so.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum

Here, let me contribute this .. .. .. ..

He didn't invent the "WWW". What he did was attach a URL to an IP.

So, instead of having to type in a set of Octets into the address bar a URL resolves the address into a name.

Let's make a comparison. . .. .

To say that he Invented the World Wide Web is Exactly the same as Al Gore saying he Invented the Internet.

It's BullStuff and my Meter says so.

You just can't bear the fact that it was a Brit that invented the Web and not an American. Here is just one link that proves Berners-Lee invented the web:-

www.w3.org...

If you want more links just ask and i will supply them.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Who owns the Internet?,
The Sun owns the Internet.

Not the newspaper but the real Sun.If he gets mad he can shut it down any time he wants,with an x++++....

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Since this thread is geared towards ownership I must submit that . .. ... .

How can the Inventor of Something NOT OWN it?

Did he sell the rights?

Was he the victim of Espionage or Theft?

I have seen documents that Say he is the inventor, but then again, there is all of this other evidence.

So,. . How does someone Invent something and NOT own it?

Is the guy related to Al Gore?

P.S. .. It has Absolutely nothing to do with the persons Nationality and that you might suggest such a thing says allot about your character.

edit on 8-6-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Since this thread is geared towards ownership I must submit that . .. ... .

Did he sell the rights?

Was he the victim of Espionage or Theft?

I have seen documents that Say he is the inventor, but then again, there is all of this other evidence.

So,. . How does someone Invent something and NOT own it?

Is the guy related to Al Gore?

P.S. .. It has Absolutely nothing to do with the persons Nationality and that you might suggest such a thing says allot about your character.

edit on 8-6-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

Put it this way. EVERYONE in the world of computing across the world knows that Tim Berners-Lee invented the world wide web. That is all that matters to me. Your opinions are quite insignificant to be honest.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Your assertion might be fine if it were opinions I was discussing.

Tell me, .. who do you think Invented the Telephone?

Who was the first man in space?

My point is, . . Just because someone gets credit for it in the History books doesn't make it so.

Ya might as well pack your bags and head out 'cause your argument is weak at best.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
One might argue that at a higher level, electricity companies "own" the internet. If they dont provide the fuel, there is no Internet...

edit on 9-6-2013 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

We the people own the internet. Think you *HAVE* to have a domain name? Nope. Well, not those fancy ones anyways. You can often access a website without a domain name by knowing it's IP address and typing it into the URL bar. No need for ICANN except convenience.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
IMHO: IANA: internet assigned numbers authority

I'm not sure about "ownership", but they seem to have the most control.

As said earlier www stands for the world wide web. This is just an easier way for us to get where we want to go on the internet. Every web site has an ip address, the www just translates it so we don't have to remember all of the numbers *flashback, does anyone remember when you did actually have to remember the numbers to find a web page? oops, telling my age
*. OK, back on topic...The IANA has control over " the global coordination of the DNS Root, IP addressing, and other Internet protocol resources."
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority

Which is ran by Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
ICANN

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

You can often access a website without a domain name by knowing it's IP address and typing it into the URL bar.

Yeah and who assigns the IP's?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
If i build a house, the post office gives me an address. Does that mean the post office owns my house?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Who owns the internet? Well... The Department of Defense invented the thing through ARPANet as others have mentioned, so unbroken lines of communication and data exchange could be maintained in the event of nuclear war. That evolved into Military and University networking which, by the early 90's, evolved into a public side of it and WWW being brought into existence for a viable way for consumers to make use of what TPTB had been successfully using for a couple decades at that point.

The apple never falls far...and this isn't the world of dial-up and BBSs where it was point to point communications and user to user connection. Now distributed communications were the point of the Internet, but every network requires ..well, a network. That means backbones. That also means control nodes to run it all and keep order in the chaos. Traffic cops of the electronic variety. I recall the term from my youth as MAE servers....though I can't seem to find reference now, so maybe I'm recalling more slang than anything on that.

However, the term represented the control nodes which *ALL* net traffic routes through. World wide. It has to, for the system to function and work. Who own those nodes? Who MADE those nodes? ARPANet's origins and history hold that answer......

...and again, the apple never falls far. The traffic cops still report to places like Fort Huachuca in southern Arizona. Just one of a few places like it and one we know the name of in the public.

The title asks....who owns the internet? There is your answer. Lock, stock and data line. .....no one really thought this had become 100% civilian? Did they?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
don't know who owns it.. but an advanced AI or AI group seems present... within it

I've thought this too sometimes...an overarching self-aware consciousness.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by shockedamerican

"NSA".....didn't we all learn that a few days back?

In a way thats true because they probably have the greatest overview over all the data passing through, surpassing even Google.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Many own cars and TVs they didnt invent...

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Nobody does , can or will be able to control the Internet. It is created by the people for the people. Even though Every other DNS server will get down we will still be able to be On the Internet. And thats just the 10% of Internet you are on right now. There are several other ways like shortwave to get on the other parts of the NET.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join