It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free gun initiative begins in Houston neighborhood

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
FOX News.Com

While many cities have tried gun buy-backs and other tactics in the ongoing national debate on gun control, the nonprofit and its supporters say gun giveaways to responsible owners are actually a better way to deter crime. The organization, which plans to offer training classes in Dallas, San Antonio, and Tucson, Ariz., in the next few weeks, is working to expand its giveaways to 15 cities by the end of the year, including Chicago and New York.

This is Fantastic, ... OR, . . is it an act of stupidity that will cause someone to get their eye shot out?

Either way, I agree with this. I believe that putting guns in the hands of "Responsible" people in High Crime areas will reduce the crime rate.

Unfortunately, I am curious to know, how in the hell are they going to make the determination of who is responsible and who is not. I certainly think it will be a crap shoot.

I guess with everything good there is also something bad that can be made out of it.

Free Guns and Training , , wow, . . ain't that the cat's @$$.

It make me wonder where they are getting the funding from. They are a Non Profit Organization so it could be coming from any number of sources.

Yeah for Texas. They have said before that they are not going to let Gun Control take over their state. I for one believe them. It is not only in Texas but other states as well.

I wonder what the Government is thinking of this. Ya know, a non profit Arming the Citizens.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I don't know what the Government may be thinking. I doubt they have the place for more than mere opinion on it. However, my opinion is bad bad bad idea on first glance.

If someone is in a position in life where they cannot afford the few hundred dollars to buy a basic firearm? Handing them one for free is probably not a real solution to ANY problem they have and may well make their life more complicated, not less so.

I mean, really, I think the step of actually having to spend our own money to buy it is a necessary level of commitment to naturally sort the serious and responsible from those who might not be the best to carry around the means with which to take life by little more than 3-5 lbs of pressure on a little strip of metal. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I had thought that as well, but then I starting thinking, .. what about grandma and grandpa that lives on social security living in fear in their neighborhoods. This might help give them a piece of mind. Or, what about a disabled vet that is unable to work and has to draw disability.

I agree with you. As far as determining the "Responsible" type. It makes me wonder what Criteria they will follow to ensure proper placement of the weapons.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

You raise an excellent point I hadn't considered before writing that. Disabled Vets or Seniors in particular...and you're absolutely right. They are in that class of people who wouldn't have the money by fixed income alone, but it says nothing whatsoever about their means and ability to responsibly handle one.

Hmmm.... Maybe the older folks need a AARP type group to advocate and assist them in this area, specifically? Vets used to have something...but Obama killed that like a deer on the first day of hunting season. That was the surplus rifles program and one of his first acts was to have scores of those fine rifles destroyed rather than distributed to the public as had always been the tradition in this nation.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I have never heard of the Surplus Rifles Program. If I had I would have exercised my Gun Grab years ago.

And like so many other programs this administration has seen fit to put and end to has really confirmed that Control is in the hands of Tyranny.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

The Armed Citizen’s Project is a slap in the face to the gun-grabbers, so obviously I LOVE IT!

I absolutely admire their aggressiveness and mission:

Gun-control advocates often argue that an increase in guns in an area will lead to an increase in crime, while gun-rights advocates often believe that fewer guns result in more crime. While both sides often argue that their opponents policies will result in more crime, gun-control proponents have largely been the victors when it comes to policy implementation. Pro-gun activists have largely been content to simply fend off new potential gun control laws. It is our belief that gun-rights activists must take the offensive, and actively encourage the increased presence of defensive weapons in society. Both sides believe that their policies will result in less crime, and it is about time that our side begins to act with the conviction and courage that it will take to win the debate.
armedcitizenproject.org...

Thumbs up from me!!

I might go drop a few bucks in their paypal account today.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

The solution to gun crime is MORE GUNS!!!!

See you guys in the next mass shooting thread, next week!

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

To be honest I had never even heard of this project until today.

But after reading several articles now I am with you. I may very well drop a few bucks in the bucket myself.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Maybe you missed the point.

They are not just going to hand out guns to everyone. So, if your thinking some Punk Kid is going to go get a Free weapon, your wrong about that.

Please also make Note. .. . Gun Crimes are committed by those with Complete Disregard for the laws.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum

As far as determining the "Responsible" type. It makes me wonder what Criteria they will follow to ensure proper placement of the weapons.

That seems a fairly easy task, just do a criminal background check.
Then make sure they attend the training - not training, no gun.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Well, .. that Might be a good idea. Just keep in mind that there are in Fact Criminals with no Criminal Record.

P.S. .. And on a Small personal Note. .. Backgrounds checks are Not required for Shotguns. In case you didn't know.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Why are they attacking us already? I won't get into one of those,unless a guy has a gun real close to me when he starts and has friends who are equally screwed up.Nope legal gun owners are good guns against these loonies AND as long as we have them a hedge against invasions and yes tyranny so long as they shoot first.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Do me a favour and this time next year post the crime rates of the areas involved.

And I want crime rates that are broken down in to there diffrent crimes.

Will be intrested to see if this backfires or works.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Have you ever heard of Bernard Goetz?

If not maybe you have heard of his Alias. .. . The Subway Vigilante

Did you know that the crime rate in New York City Plummeted for a time after that?

My point is.. .. When criminals know that someone is going to shoot back they take a moment or two to consider the consequences.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum

Have you ever heard of Bernard Goetz?

If not maybe you have heard of his Alias. .. . The Subway Vigilante

Did you know that the crime rate in New York City Plummeted for a time after that?

My point is.. .. When criminals know that someone is going to shoot back they take a moment or two to consider the consequences.

Im not makeing a judgement.

Im makeing a reasonable request. Give me the crime stats for those areas on 8th June 2014.

Only then can one make a Judgement.

edit on 8-6-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-6-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I didn't know that..
Thanks for the update. I'll have to check our regs here in WA or is this national?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Well they can use them:worldnews.nbcnews.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok

Im makeing a reasonable request. Give me the crime stats for those areas on 8th June 2014.

This seems like a reasonable request and something we should all watch closely. I'm very pro-gun but would like facts on this as well (even if I suspect how this will turn out, like lowering crime.)

If it works great let's do more. If it's a fail it would be nice to know.

edit on 8-6-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I am not sure if that is a state or national law. I am sure that someone here may know the answer to that.

But I do know that Felons can possess a Shot Gun but Not a handgun.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bassago

Originally posted by crazyewok

This seems like a reasonable request and something we should all watch closely. I'm very pro-gun but would like facts on this as well (even if I suspect how this will turn out, like lowering crime.)

If it works great let's do more. If it's a fail it would be nice to know.

Im not US. So have no vested intrest in pro or Anti gun groups.

So think of me a intrested neutral observer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join