It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm not rich, I'm filthy rich! Get it right, lawsuit says!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Okay, that's not quite the wording for the lawsuit, but it's what it says in meaning. Really! Some things need to be read to be believed. Anyone wanna take a wild guess at who would be so offended by merely being described as a multi-billionaire but not 'Multi-' enough??

Well, lets have a good look at Hubris, big as life.

Saudi billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal has sued Forbes magazine for libel in a British court, alleging its valuation of his wealth at $20 billion (12.8 billion pounds) was short of the mark by $9.6 billion, Britain's Guardian newspaper reported on Friday.

(GASP) Oh the horrors. How dare they underestimate his filthy richness by a whopping 9 billion! The nerve! The gall! The..the..the..discrimination?!

This year's Forbes World Billionaires list was published on March 4, and the following day Kingdom Holding said the valuation process used "incorrect data" and "seemed designed to disadvantage Middle Eastern investors and institutions".

Yeah, that's it. They sit down to form the world's richest people, based on known and available financial data, and then jigger the whole list based on nationality or ethnicity. Well, that just explains everything. The dirty scoundrels! (trying not to laugh)

Why London? Why sue there? Forbes is a US based publication, right? Well... Have you ever heard of Doctor shopping? How about Judge or Court shopping? The terms refer to the practice of choosing or hunting professionals in an area, most likely to deliver a favorable outcome to what you're looking for.

When you are a billionaire enough times over to buy many small nations and still have enough left, for say, a fleet of jets and new airports to land them at? The term becomes NATION shopping.

Media lawyer Jonathan Coad, of the London firm Lewis Silkin, said London was seen as a more attractive place than New York to bring defamation suits because U.S. libel law made higher requirements of claimants.

"In the U.S., a high-profile claimant has to prove firstly that the article was untrue and secondly that the publisher knew that the article was untrue, which is what we call malice. Those are two hurdles that a UK libel action does not present," said Coad, who is not involved in the Prince Alwaleed case.
Source

This is a man I think we can all safely conclude will never get an award for having the 'pulse' of the common man ...or really giving a hoot, anyway. Such is what life looks like when you have SO much money, it's lost all conceivable meaning as us normal folk would think of it.

The world really does take all kinds, eh?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I wonder how much this rich guy pays someone to read Forbes for him.
He should have the suit denied and have court costs imposed.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Beartracker16

Well, I'll guess he reads it himself. I just imagine he has an official 'magazine holder' and then an official 'page turner' to save him the labor of lifting each mighty page to view what may be hidden across the next one. He might suffer a tragic paper cut or something, otherwise. Oh the humanity!

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Only in America. Oh wait, apparently not. Sheesh the egos on some people. I can't believe anybody would pull a stunt like that just to prove a childish point.

Disgusting.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I wonder if the man is rich in empathy or compassion? I wonder if he truly understands what love and happiness are?

Money is nice and we all want to give our families a better more comfortable life. I truly believe in my heart wealth of the soul is far more important then wealth in a bank account. We should start to put value were it belongs.............in kindness.
edit on 8-6-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

I'm thinking that at his level of obscene wealth, he can buy someone named Empathy and call them for an opinion when needed. lol....

Sorry, I really have little to no empathy myself for the true and honest 1%. They are out there and he argues to be ranked higher among them. Oh, you can't write some of this as fiction.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
But you know what?

Many many of us would trade spots with him in a heart beat...if only for a day. I could have a hella day with umpteen billion dollars to play with...

Party at my place...

The hubris is staggering, and quite disgusting when you think about it... But damn, I could use a little of that ol' hubris about now...

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Have a little compassion, people.
No one likes to go to the Multi Billionaire Club and be laughed at because they're worth 29 billion instead of 20 billion.
remember, a bunch peasants worked very hard for that extra 9bil.
edit on 8-6-2013 by works4dhs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I wonder where all those billions came from? Certainly it couldn't be from America... or could it?

Sounds like biting the hand that fed it, if true.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

They send us the oil and we send them the gold. Then we each call the other the greedy one. Gotta love high level world politics, eh?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
People like this show off billionaire who make the world a more shallow and greedy place.

new topics

top topics

join