It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No wunder ours kidz is stoopid II. These are REAL college courses.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thecakeisalie
I could imagine a graduate of one of these courses going for a job interview.

"Well sir, I never participated in sports in high school, but I know Quidditch like the back of my hand."

I'm not saying that these courses aren't valid, it's just that time would be better spent on doing a short course on small motor repair, Occupational health and safety, first aid, etc. These would look better on a resume, instead of being qualified in how to tie a half windsor.

I took a linguistics course that relied heavily on Klingon at university. And while I don't tend to list courses that I took in my undergrad on my CV, I have brought it up in interviews.

Someone looking for a lawn mower repairman might not be interested, but people looking to hire someone to translate a lawn mower service manual tend to be.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I was in Pre-med when I went to college. I tested out of all but one math and all the sciences except one physics and the biology classes. I still had to take courses like archery and bowling so I could keep in line with graduation. How stupid, I knew how to shoot a bow and bowl already. Better than taking Phy Ed though, I was an avid hunter and fisherman and would shovel snow and hike around a lot. I also had a part time job working at Big Boy. Physical Ed is not needed by an active person. Why pay to excercise when you can get paid for the effort by working at a hard job

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
for me The education system was already collapsed when they accepted Astrology as a valid Scientific Course.

BTW i won't mind Learning about superheros in college though. Been everyone's childhood dream but hey we aren't really into it now, aren't we?
edit on 9-6-2013 by konig because: no idea

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
this is by far the stupidest thing i have heard of in a long time.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
1. "What If Harry Potter Is Real?" (Appalachian State University)
Sounds like theology 101

2. "God, Sex, Chocolate: Desire and the Spiritual Path" (UC San Diego)
Biology / psychology

3. "GaGa for Gaga: Sex, Gender, and Identity" (The University Of Virginia)
Sociology, Psychology, Biology

4. "Lady Gaga and the Sociology of Fame" (The University Of South Carolina)
More Sociology

5. "Philosophy And Star Trek" (Georgetown)
Philosophy

6. "Invented Languages: Klingon and Beyond" (The University Of Texas)
Linguistics and language studys. Perhaps Etymology

7. "The Science Of Superheroes" (UC Irvine)
Science/Physics

8. "Learning From YouTube" (Pitzer College)
Market Analysis, Research

9. "Arguing with Judge Judy" (UC Berkeley)
Law

10. "Elvis As Anthology" (The University Of Iowa)
Music history

11. "The Feminist Critique Of Christianity" (The University Of Pennsylvania)
Modern Psychology

12. "Zombies In Popular Media" (Columbia College)
Philosophy

13. "Far Side Entomology" (Oregon State)
This one confuses me?????

14. "Interrogating Gender: Centuries of Dramatic Cross-Dressing" (Swarthmore)
Sexual health / psychology

15. "Oh, Look, a Chicken!" Embracing Distraction as a Way of Knowing (Belmont University)
Psychology / mental health

Bored of it. But ya..all these are just standard courses with trendy catch themes to get people interested in otherwise dull subjects.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity

Originally posted by Maxatoria
Theres a book all about the physics of superhero's and its actually quite a good book for teaching physics using a novel perspective as it goes through all the actual physics required to work out that if superman can leap a tall building in one go how much force does he need to apply etc

And the learning the language behind klingon etc is another way i would of thought to get people thinking differently and could be of use to people in crytography or trying to decypher ancient languages

I agree, this is a grate way to teach people. Connect it with something they love and they will remember it every time they experience that, tv show, movie, music ect...

This is a different generation. With different focuses. I would have loved to attended a science class that connected the rock band KISS to the lessons. I would remember those lessons every time I heard the music thus ingraining it to my mind.
edit on 8-6-2013 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

This scares me..

I agree, this is a((( grate )))way to teach people. Connect it with something they love and they will remember it every time they experience that, tv show, movie, music ect...

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by NiteNGale2
Who you callin' a kid?

The average age of students at some of the upper echelon schools is upper 20s nowadays. Young, yes. But, kids?

Yeah I know, I'm showing my age here.

I'm at the age where I look at everyone under 35 as kidz but, not quite yet at the age where I need a pill for erectile dysfunction (not yet anyways).

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
As a recently former college student I can agree with the uselessness of many of the thousand dollar courses I took. They were not quite that bad though. I took a class on social movements and revolution type stuff and I found out I was basically going to fail unless I wrote about gay people, feminists, and how bad men are.

I'm not prejudice or anything like that at all but man that was annoying.

Even in the science courses, and others, I barely remember anything, because I never use it. I learned some research skills and practiced writing a ton of analytical reports. Other than that, even with a good GPA, it just kinda went "poof", for the most part. I've learned and retained more from online research than anything. Such is the power of intrinsic motivation.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Only one line to add to this topic...

Bachelor of Arts (BA)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Think about the red mist that a lady would become if a faster than a bullet indestructible male flew through the air like a 220 lb cannon ball and caught her as she fell because the bad guy threw her off the roof. Superman, you're just too good man ease up a little bit.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove

Originally posted by Infi8nity

Originally posted by Maxatoria
Theres a book all about the physics of superhero's and its actually quite a good book for teaching physics using a novel perspective as it goes through all the actual physics required to work out that if superman can leap a tall building in one go how much force does he need to apply etc

And the learning the language behind klingon etc is another way i would of thought to get people thinking differently and could be of use to people in crytography or trying to decypher ancient languages

I agree, this is a grate way to teach people. Connect it with something they love and they will remember it every time they experience that, tv show, movie, music ect...

This is a different generation. With different focuses. I would have loved to attended a science class that connected the rock band KISS to the lessons. I would remember those lessons every time I heard the music thus ingraining it to my mind.
edit on 8-6-2013 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

This scares me..

I agree, this is a((( grate )))way to teach people. Connect it with something they love and they will remember it every time they experience that, tv show, movie, music ect...

Could be a simple mistake, could by dyslexia, could be that the person isn't great with English and has a limited education. Why any other those possible explanations would scare you I don't know.

Your repeated misuse of punctuation is frightening. Worry about your own backyard.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Did you go to college? I'm thinking you didn't or you would know that these are just electives.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Good God, these students put themselves into debt for the rest of their lives and crap like THIS is what they end up paying for. No wonder they can't find jobs in today's economy.

I look at it from a different angle. Why are students so stoopid as to even think of applying for these courses? I don't blame the colleges. I blame the imbeciles who opt for this crap! Period!

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Interesting read, however if you actually read the course descriptions, it's pretty obvious that those are just catchy titles. So I don't really agree with your statement that this is a bad thing.

More interesting is to see that colleges actually reinvent themselves and put "good old knowledge" in a attractive package that speaks to the next generation, like the Klingon Class - turns out that this is actually about linguistic and how languages are created:

www.utexas.edu...

You could also just call it: "The Linguistics of Invented Languages" like the course at UC San Diego

www.ucsd.edu...

Which one will attract more students?

edit on 10-6-2013 by flyandi because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-6-2013 by flyandi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

I am seeing a habit that those who bash the education system are the ones who were not educated all that well.
I understand your point, but I don’t think the employer will be as understanding as you are when seeing those particular classes on whomevers resume.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Oh no. Someone might actually be having fun in one or two classes at school. The horror.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

I agree. There maybe two or three courses on that list that might actually be interesting to take. Of course, they might want to be limited to creative writing majors who plan on making a living off of writing. I think the bigger reason why this nation is becoming dumber is because people cant afford to take classes. There's a lot of smart people out there flipping burgers because mom and dad can't afford to put them through college and they can't afford to pay back 6 figure student loans because they hiring rate is so low.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
actually many Universities use pop culture trends to teach about philosophy, science, semantics, social studies, etc.

All those courses I've seen, I know myself that I would be able to inject heavy doses of science and philosophy into them under the guise of pop trends.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Text Ever wonder why those kids with their fancy diplomas in hand can't find a job or even talk in complete sentences? With most states spending more on their college football coaches than even their lead government officials you know something's wrong with the system. On top of all that, if you look at the garbage they're actually teaching the kids in college, its no wonder our kids is stupid.

Your point is well taken and if it were not so pathetic it would be funny. This has actually been going on for quite a few decades. I was tutoring a young marine back in the seventies who was trying to get started in life as a programmer. Along with his computer course he was taking a brush up on English and American history. The history teacher insisted, teaching the class, that President H. Truman was never in the service of his country. The young marine, who knew better, argued the fact with the teacher and was told to move out of class. He received a failing grade by the professor and we both promptly contested this to the review board and the grade was reversed as a passing grade. The teacher was not reprimanded and continued to teach. As far as I was aware she probably retired with a good pension. That is a true story.

Also, in this same state and city, I knew another young man who had a full time job with a very fair employer. The employer urged all of his employees, without exception, the gift of paid education within the confines of the community college in that city. This was to encourage his people to benefit themselves and eventually his corporation. There were some who took advantage of the purpose of the offer and received credits such as choir.and community organizations etc. Needless to say the employer discontinued the offer because of the abuse and foolishness of the employees and the community college.

So that is why I say that this has been going on for quite a few years and now that affirmative action has grown into a monster of unfairness on top of what was already on the plate, this nation has actually destroyed the minds of the people. We do have a very serious problem in this nation. .

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

I'd love to take that course too, although I am pretty sure that it's not military funded.

Now I'm just going off on a limb, but the whole basis of the course is probably detailing how actions in comics (ie flight, laser vision, super strength) is influenced/can be applied to science and physics.
A seemingly good amount of wasted time and or money. I disagree.

If I chose this college course (well, mainly because I fused myself to Marvel comics at an early age), not only will i satisfy my love, but I will come away with a mice amount of knowledge.

Let's say you wanted to know how flying heroes can withstand velocity and drag without face protection (aside from a mask).

This could be answered by the course. But how does this apply to being useful in life?

Simple: jetpacks, or shall i say a better, easy-to function jetpack.

By relating a bunch of formulae and data, an entrepid scientist can create a jetpack or other propelled flying suit without the use of clunky apparatuses (apparati?)

I'm sure with countless hours of testing it could work, but what do I know as a college dropout who draws comics and science in spare time?

Carry on, I'll stay useless and dumb like the rest of America.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join