It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Homeschooling Growing Seven Times Faster than Public School Enrollment

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by spirited75

That's a good one.

edit on 6/8/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

This is a good one liner too.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Did you find a problem with my math?
You sort of hinted that you didn't agree with what I posted. That "according to you" part, I mean.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

he say one and one and one is three
got to be good looking cuse he's so hard to see.

I applaud homeschooling.
if there has been a 700 times increase in
homeschooled kids, maybe the cipherer
went to public school.

you obviously did not attend or graduate from pubic schools.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

I attended public school through 6th grade.

Did you notice in that post that concerns you, that I said I have nothing against homeschooling? I don't. I just don't like it when people play games with facts.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
While i do agree that this is a big problem, the government just had no idea
how to run a school, there again we continue to expect children to be adults
in attitude, also there is the religion contingent to consider, they would rather
replace science with religion in school because you know, learning about god
just really helps those future engineers or those future evolutionary biologists
that might go on to cure a disease, we need reality in our schools, not this
fantasy world where kids act like perfectly behaved adults and pray their
way into a job they wont be qualified for.

I think we should let kids be kids and adapt school to be very considerate of
this, adapt classes to be engaging and yes entertaining! oh the horror!

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Also i should add to this thread that i was home schooled for
most of my education, for a long time under ACE home schooling,
and then later under some other religious brand of home schooling,
i cannot begin to impress how big of a disadvantage this placed
on me in the job world later on, instead of being ready for college
i didn't even know many many basic scientific principals that are
a given in most schools, i had to play catch up after graduating high
school and then when i started to learn about real science well lets
just say i was really really angry with my parents for awhile, i have
since then realized that they were doing what they thought was best
but in the end I paid for it, I love the heck out of my parents but they
just see the world through religious lenses that are not part of
the job market.

ACE home schooling is one very stark reminder that home schooling
does not always provide better results than a public school could.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Home Schooling your kids can be awesome. My children four of them are home schooled. And I can say they are bright, well rounded children. They are as sharp as any child their age and can do as much if not more in the academic realm. We spend more time with our kids than any parent I know. We as a family are a unit. We work, play and learn together. My children's curriculum consists of an software program that teaches a perfect curriculum. Math, Science, English, Social Studies, Health, Foreign Languages and a collection of electives if they choose. They sit down every day and go through their classes every morning. It takes them about 4 hours a day to get through their classes. They have a few chores to do that day. The rest of the day belongs to them. The curriculum includes a grading system that we must review every day or the children cannot move on to the following classes the next day. So we don't sit them in front of a computer and just let them do it. We are extremely involved in their lessons and education. The software however is a huge help!!

The beauty of all of this is that we can do anything any time that we want. If we decide to let them off today because they did well on a test or something else they may have done positively, we can just let them off. Because of this we can as a family work schooling around anything and anywhere. They take their laptops with them when they stay at the grandparents and do their work. Flexible schedule is awesome.

I can say I'm extremely proud of all of my children as they are kids of integrity, because my wife and I teach them the ways of life not just the academics of education. Our children have life skills that they will need to not only get through life a little easier but flourish in it.

Education is only a part of raising children. My wife and I both believe in instilling values in our kids. We open the floor once a month and let them ask any questions that have come up or complaints that they may have. We teach honesty is the best thing and positive intent is always the high road.

Some people will say that the Social Aspect of school is missing. This is who ha. Our kids are in plays, play softball go to dances with other kids and are part of the youth group at our local church. Socially they have no issues. They are no different than public school kids except for one thing. We know who their friends and parents are. You may think we are a bit over protective, not at all. Our motto Junk in Junk out. Most kids are filled with Junk especially in the public school system. Not all but most. Social Media, Movies, TV, and anything else that may clout a child's mind are passed from student to student. Yes we let the kids watch movies and TV. We let them surf the web and play a game here and there. But our rules are simple. JUNK IN JUNK OUT. If it's junk we tend to curb it a bit. My kids love DR. WHO and lots of Sci Fi. Normal kids stuff. Age appropriate. There is a time and place to learn everything. Yes we talk to them about sex, drugs and rock n roll. And they are comfortable asking questions. Because we believe they should learn everything. But with in the constraints of their ages.

With that being said. We are not the perfect parents but we do everything we can to give our children the integrity to be GREAT adults. That is what raising children is really about isn't it.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

This is laughable!! So ya know. I am in the real world. I know how important education is. I know exactly what it takes to survive in this world and I can tell you that my kids would put any public school kid their age to shame. On top of that my kids also know how to cook their own food, sew their own clothes, budget their own money and they know nothing in life is free. They work for anything extra they get. Just like in the real world. You want to see this movie, you have to earn it first. So my kids will do what it takes to get the things in life that they want.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
DON'T SEND YOUR KIDS TO PUBLIC SCHOOLS

This is where all the programming takes place, this is seriously the worst thing you can do to your kid, to make him go through that nonsense for 12 years!

Real education comes from the heart, don't let no government educate your kids! They only want your kids to conform to a failed system!

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
It's nice to see home schooling growing, but 75% of not very much is still not very much.

Currently ~3% of American school aged children are home schooled (source).I don't think the public and private schools are quaking in their boots just yet.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by BubbaJoe
So basically we have a bunch of homophobic, racist, parents wanting to home school their children, because public schools teach tolerance. What a crock of crap this is. I have dealt with "home schooled" kids, hired him for my business because I knew his dad, this teen was dumber than a box of rocks. Seriously, if you are honestly home schooling your child, they need to be able to spell, write, and add, unfortunately this is not my experience.

I find that it is fundie christians behind the HS movement, this is the most ignorant bunch of people I have ever met, they have not learned anything through their own lives, yet they are going to teach their children. Honestly, I believe their children should be taken from them.

so i take it you were home schooled and proving the point of how intolerant they are? after all formal schools teach "tolerance of others". through your words YOU have proven how intolerant you are of others with differing ideologies and beliefs. or are you proving that formal schools don't do such a good job of stemming intolerance of others as you would like to believe? " Honestly, I believe their children should be taken from them" indeed. that right there says INTOLERANCE in great big capital letters. or how tolerant is your view of "I find that it is fundie christians behind the HS movement, this is the most ignorant bunch of people I have ever met, they have not learned anything through their own lives"? or even "So basically we have a bunch of homophobic, racist, parents wanting to home school their children"? yup you are extreemly tollerant of others aren't you? (NOT)

in your "case" of the " teen was dumber than a box of rocks", can you somehow PROVE that had he would have been less "dumb" if he had gone to a formal school as opposed to homeschooling, and would have not actually ended up even "dumber" than you found him to be? could you even prove that this person would have even made it through school without either dropping out, or just failing?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
So no one is going to call out this BS?
NO ONE?!?!
I signed up just for this

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by terriblyvexed

How much would someone who could teach your kids cost? I think I'd like that if I can afford it.

What I would LOVE to do....teach home schooled kids. Say, about five or six. I could do it in my own home, charge $100 a week (less than the cost of daycare)...provide a real education AND make more money.

Dang. I just might look into this.

LETS DO SOME MATH:
100 dollars a week is 400 a month. A lot of money for most people. More then you spend in taxes a month on education. So with 5 kids, at 400, its 2000 a month, and 24k a year. Welcome to the upper lower class!
BUT
5 kids in a class? Unrealistic.
Lets take a trip to reality land. where class size is at least 20. Let us use twenty five cause it's a fun number, but also less then what most teachers have to deal with.
So, 25 kids at 400 a head a month, that is ten thousand dollars a month, ONE HUNDERED AND TWENTY THOUSAND A YEAR, you are paying to someone who is not trained to do this task. And if you hired smyleegrl, someone who wouldn't be able to teach your kids math. Or critical thinking. The majority of teachers make anywhere from a quarter to half of that. HALF IF THEY ARE LUCKY.

Would you pay me to be an amateur surgeon? Are you sure? I cost less than those "Med School" people. I'm not sure what an Aorta is, but I think I may know better then them doctors.

YES, there is a huge problem with the current education system, and if you knew anything about teaching, The System knows there is something wrong. Most teachers are real people, dedicated to their jobs. They want to help people. It isn't all their fault kids dislike school (because yes, school can be one of the ridiculously mind numbing activities possible, BUT LEARNING, as opposed to schooling, SHOULDN'T BE THAT WAY), especially with parents at home talking about how awful the school and teachers are. Maybe there is a little bias, as teacher, who really likes his public school students. Even the little snot nose you send to school with a superiority complex.

And I'll skip the part where in a school, they are exposed to a variety of opinions from a variety of people. Part of school is dealing with different people. You are just indoctrinating your child, worse than schools do. At least at a school, they can be exposed to something new, come home, discuss it with you, and come away with their own viewpoint.

Well, all that being said, I have lost all respect for this site. It is a complete sock-puppet circle jerk. Try to keep it out of each others eyes.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shuye
DON'T SEND YOUR KIDS TO PUBLIC SCHOOLS

This is where all the programming takes place, this is seriously the worst thing you can do to your kid, to make him go through that nonsense for 12 years!

Real education comes from the heart, don't let no government educate your kids! They only want your kids to conform to a failed system!

It says this "Minimal posts that contribute nothing to the thread are subject to immediate removal" right under the reply button.
But somehow your... I was going to call it anecdote... but it's a brain fart.. is still here
"Real education comes from the heart" is ridiculous blubber. That is saying Jihadists are justified in teaching their children about the Western Devil and how anything must be done to take it down, including murdering other children. Can you really defend that "real education comes from the heart"?
Seriously. that was some blanket statement by a robot.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I've seen a shocking amount of people here aghast at the idea of home-schooling.

My wife and I are currently home-schooling because the level of education and the pace of education is not adequate at the public schools.

People are pointing fingers at religious folks and making accusations of being closed minded. . etc.

T'is far from the truth. The home-schooling community that we are talking to hopes to broaden the children's perspective far and away more than the government curriculum that is offered in public school.

I've never personally experienced the American public school system as a student. But from what I can gather when I went to university, I didn't miss anything.

link   
I grew up in the public school system and I hated it. A lot of it has to deal with the current education system, the ratio with the staff, teachers, and students, how the buses are not the best, bullying, etc. If I had children I would want the best for them and I feel home schooling is a better alternative.

link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

More evidence leading me to believe that the game is being phased out.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I home schooled my youngest when I got fed up with the system.He graduated a year and half early from high school.I would think it would be one heck of an investment for they're futures to pay you to school them.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I've been home-schooling my daughter for 12 years now. Over the years, I have had the opportunity to meet many parents and their children, who have been educated in the public school system in a few different states. It is absolutely astounding how many of these children can barely read and write, let alone speak and enunciate their words on the same grade level as my child. My daughter is way ahead of her peers. She interacts with many children who go to public school due to her activities.

I will never, ever send my daughter to public school. And if there is any imminent threat of losing my right to keep her out of the system, I will go off the grid for good and unplug, do not pass go, goodbye. I've seen way too many children over the years who are flat out DUMB and do not know how to think for themselves. It's frightening. I remember at a swim meet one year, my daughter's instructor told me "You can tell she's never gone to public school" and I asked her why she said this. She said, "Because she doesn't like to LINE UP with the others".
I laughed out loud and I said "Yep, that's my girl". You see, I do not want my child to CONFORM and follow along with everyone else and be DUMB and not know how to think her own thoughts. I keep her out of the system because she is too intelligent to sit a building all day long and become dumbed down and fed revisionist history and lies. I've seen the recent "history" books and it's a joke. I cannot believe any parent would allow their child to be taught lies.

Also, I do not want my child exposed to the twisted sick tormenting and bullying that teachers allow in their classrooms these days. It is a huge problem in my area, and do not get me started on teachers who despite went to college to become a teacher, truly hate children and are abusive in their classrooms.

The public school system needs a complete overhaul and teachers need to stop teaching to test so that children can really learn.

Just remember, if the govt is monitoring your phone calls, they are monitoring your child too. Good luck with that!

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchildren

I sent my child back to school because I thought it would be easier to take exams with friends and acquaintances from school but I'm beginning to wonder. i find that my child is less interested in 'education' in reading, creating, thinking, discussing and expects to be spoon fed information since return to school. The classes are, despite what appears and sounds like lovely teachers, disrupted regularly. Example, a math class last week. One boy walked in and pushed another boy off his chair. The teacher ordered him out. He wouldn't go. The whole class was ordered out and stood in the hall way. End resutl....no math lesson. In that time i could have taught trig and tested her. What am i doing worrying about exams? What am i doing? Sometimes homeschool is the way ahead but there is a lot of antagonism against it. I found relatives (who are very religious christian types) are very against home schooling funnily enough. We don't have a religion and aim at a broad education encompassing other people's opinions and the importance of religion is social cohesion in stable society, so are neither for or against a religion. BUT, when it comes do a deep education it appears that state school scratches the surface of understanding whereas home school gives time an opportunity for deep study and reading.

edit on 9-6-2013 by Elliot because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-6-2013 by Elliot because: grammar

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join