It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Couple Discovers Fully Stocked 1960s Fallout Shelter in Their Backyard

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

You must do to open the thread and post such a post

I am questioning the newsworthyness of this find.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought it was in the Breaking News section, earlier.
edit on 8-6-2013 by Tribunal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tribunal
And this is breaking news, how?

So someone found a 10 square ft hole with some old junk in it in his backyard.

Who cares?

Whatever dude, I thought it was cool.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

That's cool dude, but do you consider it breaking news?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tribunal

That's cool dude, but do you consider it breaking news?

Dude, this story is posted in "Other Current Events", not "Breaking News". If you don't like the story, then simply move along.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
There's always some numpty about with a problem with posts. Nothing g better to worry about. It should be breaking news because its far more interesting than most of the pish that's posted.

I love articles like this. Nice find op and thanks for sharing. No matter what board its on

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

And if you don't know what was said then don't respond to me. I clearly said that it appears to have been moved.

I doesn't matter to me if you really like the story about the hole in the ground, you are all free to like it and I even encourage you to go dig a very deep hole in your backyard yourself.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I thought it was very interesting, thanks OP.

And thanks for the piccies winofiend.

I'd LOVE to have found something like this in my back garden, it'd be like a mini adventure rumminging through that stuff.

I'm amazed it wasn't several feet deep in flood waters tbh.

It's interesting that some of those products look quite modern..i'm sure a museum would be glad of some of those 1960's tins and boxes to put into their collections of commercial products.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Tribunal

If it doesn't matter to you why continue posting here in this thread like someone else said just stop.

I like the fact this place is a very unique place, tells us of a place in time at a time when people thought enough of the cold war to make these things themselves.
The items are amazing I would love to read those mags and such, to see how brands we know now like they were in that time.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
would love to find something like that. one difference, i wouldn't let the world know about it.

the stuff found inside is a plus, i'd love to get my hands on those magazines as well. one thing i have to say after looking at those pics (thanks by the way for them, i too can't see the vid due to my location damn pain in the butt
). that is it doesn't seem to have been very air or watertight something that it really should have been for it's intended purpose. both the damage to some of the objects not to mention a lizard getting in point to that. still possibly a little fixing up and you would have a nice SHTF shelter, and supply depot that is unknown about (that's why i wouldn't have let the world know
).

i do wonder how many of these were actually built and left forgotten.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

If it doesn't matter to you why continue posting here in this thread like someone else said just stop.

Ifr you don't like it why keep respondoing to me? I am only responding to responses. And what you say doesn't even make sense, I am not trying to make you dislike the story, am I?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Didn't know analog goes back that far. Love those. Just great sci-fi. Historical value too.

I didn't know they had plastic bags and wrap back then. Lots of advertise-speak. My dad would have been a teenager back then. Was getting ready to join the army. JFK!

Smart guy. Nuclear engineer. Those guys have to be good with physics and math.
edit on 8-6-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Colleen and Chris Otcasek were aware that their Woodland Hills property had an unusual feature, a 1960s fallout shelter. But the Otcaseks did not expect that it would be fully stocked, and a perfectly livable and sustainable space, 15 feet below ground in their backyard. They were expecting just a hole in the ground.

Also, title is misleading.

They didn't discover a fully stocked survival shelter. They were aware of the existance of the shelter, so what was dicovered, is old junk in it.

"Couple discover decades old pack of tissues and paper cups"

Yes very interesting.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

The items are amazing I would love to read those mags and such, to see how brands we know now like they were in that time.

Well you can get the mags here,

www.mycomicshop.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Yes,,,,yes I do.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Oh dang it's like that episode of Malcolm in the Middle.
Anyone know what I'm talking about?

The father and sons find a hole in their backyard. The sons lock the father in it so they can go do something fun. The dad starts freaking out in the dark hole, finds a light switch by accident, and the lights go on. It ends up being a totally pimped out bomb shelter with swank 60's decor, music, alcohol, classic Playboys, food, etc. So the dad keeps sneaking in there as his private getaway.

edit on 6/8/2013 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Ok, but it is in current events now, so there must be more people who think it is not.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Lighten up my friend..

A mod moved it so all is good now..

It was breaking news this morning but it is just news now..

Still a cool find though.....

I'm glad others liked it.....

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
That MPF looks interesting.

Multi purpose Food - they actually made stuff like that back then?
Just weird.
Cool story.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Argyle Socks!!!! Bwhahahahahahahaha!!! I remember when everyone wore those!

Not often you find both a time capsule and a bomb shelter in your backyard. And those magazines are worth a fortune!

I agree, open up a museum and charge admission.

Slightly off topic, but I have a friend who's father worked for the NSA during the Kennedy administration. He was involved in the photographic analysis of the missiles during the Cuban Missile crisis. He was so paranoid about imminent WWIII that he moved his whole family up to Alaska and they lived many mile from Anchorage from then on. The whole 'Red Threat' and bomb scares absolutely defined the late 50s and early 60s. I remember 1963 and duck and cover and crouching in the school hallway with our hands over our heads. Many people built bomb shelters back then; my father had the basement stocked with food. Sometimes, I'm convinced it wasn't JFK that held the country together as much as it was Walter Cronkite's calm voice every night. I miss Walter...

Seems like there's always some new enemy to be afraid of, isn't there? Wonder when the aliens come...

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Lighten up my friend..

I will buddy, in fact I´m lighting one up right now.

Didn´t mean to derail your thread, but it´s not my fault that people hassle me for pointing out something that the mods obviously were also thinking, I mean they did remove it from Breaking News.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join