It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uk To Brit Hacks: Shut Up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Uk To Brit Hacks: Shut Up

www.andmagazine.com

A British Defense Ministry press advisory committee, reacting to a flurry of revelations in the American press about massive warrantless US government electronic surveillance programs, quietly warned UK organizations Friday not to publish British national security information.

Defiance of the advisory could make British journalists vulnerable to prosecution under the Official Secrets Act.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
This is breaking news or should I say a breaking leak. It seems the UK Government will brook no discussion on the US surveillance being shared with the UK.

This is the dark side of democracy, equally as dark as the leaks and identity frauds and theft of personal info from corporate servers. If I was British I'd be out on the streets demanding my right to know.

I have a feeling a lot of the political establishment will use any dissent coming from the people over this surveillance to assert their authority and assert it hard.

www.andmagazine.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8-6-2013 by Archie because: .

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
more of a reason to publish,
if they have anything

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Yes, remember we have a free press, and the BBC is completely unbiased and operated in the interests of the British public!

This is important, and if ever there was a story truly in the public interest, the state spying on millions of innocent people is definitely in the public interest! I would support the idea of collusion in this between media. I think they should all come together and all publish the same information on the same day, and if the government wants to take action they'll have to prosecute every press in the country - something that would ring alarm bells all around the world.

It really scares me that people don't see what's happening here. This is censorship of the free press, and a free press is a cornerstone of a democracy. We cannot possibly even claim to have a democracy when the press is being silenced from reporting on the misbehaviour of government!

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Archie

It's a very thin line between a democracy and a totalitarian government.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
The DA notice isn't binding in its own right.

What it is however, is a lever that could be used to enable a conviction against the official secrets act 1989.

There are clauses of that act which apply to everybody in the country, regardless of whether they signed it or not. Its an offence to knowingly disclose secret information that was passed to you by a whistleblower

"Subject to subsections (3) and (4) below, the person into whose possession the information, document or article has come is guilty of an offence if he discloses it without lawful authority knowing, or having reasonable cause to believe, that it is protected against disclosure by the foregoing provisions of this Act and that it has come into his possession as mentioned in subsection (1) above."

The DA notice is recorded proof that the editors know the information is protected and know they will be committing an offence under the above if they publish. Therefore they can be prosecuted.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
reply to post by Archie

It's a very thin line between a democracy and a totalitarian government.

They are one and the same thing these days.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
UK is doing the same as Nazi Germany who also told Journalists that they would be jailed if the wrong info got out.

NAzi Germany also said that if you have nothing to hide, then you should be alright with being spied on, like Barry'O Soetero is saying about the recent alpahbet agency leak about all U.S> Citizens being spied on.

It's a joke and will get VERY BAD before anything can be done about it. We may have already crossed the point of no return both in U.S. & UK.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Not EVERY govt legislation is a NAZI act.

US and UK Constitutions existed LONG before the nazis were even sperms. The Nazi repression was real and evident in daily life throughout their rule, and their supposed democratic vote to power was only a sham and totally rigged.

Let's grow up. discuss and learn to look at issues RATIONALLY, than to be emotional or worse, be ignorant of facts and yet foolishly spewing idiocies.

There are criminals who live amongst us, whom uses our liberties and laws against us and they need to be weeded out. If you wish to catch a thief in the neighbourhood, you do not broadcast and advertise yourself that you are comming. You silently trap him in the act where he cannot lie or make any other excuses.

The recent official secrets had been broadcasted in full, and taken to the circus to gain a few pennies more in circulation by the media, but at the expense of the safety of the public warning off the criminals.

Best no more be revealed, or only more innocent lives will be in danger. The parliament, with committee oversight members, are better trained to handle any transgression of privacy laws, and not the public whom have criminals hiding in its midst to stir up divisions and hate.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

The parliament, with committee oversight members, are better trained to handle any transgression of privacy laws, and not the public whom have criminals hiding in its midst to stir up divisions and hate.

Erm no, I decide my privacy because it's mine and I will not have any parliament tell me otherwise, especially a parliament who already participated in a war (which was based on a lie). And why should I be punished because the government has decided there are criminals around, there's always been criminals around, that's not my fault.

Give it a few years mate and you'll regret throwing your away your freedoms/liberties so hastily

edit on 8-6-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
The Nazi repression was real and evident in daily life throughout their rule, and their supposed democratic vote to power was only a sham and totally rigged.

Their rise to power was indeed democratic. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but the Nazi party was elected into power gradually through the people demanding change from an ineffective government and not getting what they wanted. The election of the Nazis was gradual, increasing their count and their power in government through propaganda, ineffective leadership, loopholes - and DEMOCRATIC VOTE.

They didn't need to rig any numbers. The people were disillusioned with a weak, indecisive and corrupt leadership that had dragged them into near-poverty, and the Nazis played on that perfectly to gain public support.

I hate it when people try to rewrite history to suit their own argument, just hoping that no one else has read a book.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

I will try to break the bad news, or good news to you, as gently as possible - do wake up. If you believe in ABSOLUTE privacy, the only place avaliable now on our SHARED planet is probably the Amazon in south america, where you can live as you wish by yourself, so long as you stay away from the natives' hunting grounds there.

So long as you WANT to remain in a civilised society that you currently lived in whereby good and bad is responsibly shared by all, you will have to abide by it, and it is not such a bad thing as you believed it ignorantly to be, far better than to be on your own and be subjected to the perils of stone aged nature.

Disneyland is only a figment of imagination in the mind of Watts, the founder, whereby criminals do not exists. In the real world, criminals lived amongst us, and one of the better ways to weed them out is through their communication means used by all, to differentiate between law abiding citizens, the wild ones and the extreme ones whom will cause real harm and hurt to innocents.

And for that, you need your elected representatives within a secure and private environment for discussiong and debates over top security national issues, to ensure your life and all is protected if you meant no harm to others, but justice to those whom will use citizens as canon fodder to achieve their personal selfish aims, to identify who they are and survelliance necessary, and even arrest if it was warranted if their intentions become a reality.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013
[I hate it when people try to rewrite history to suit their own argument, just hoping that no one else has read a book.

I have no wish that you hate yourself, but hope you will read MORE books than one book entitled Mein Kempf, so that you will COMPREHEND what really happened to Germany after WW1 and its end in Nazi Hitler order gottermederung.

And then hopefully, you can contribute more to ATS and your own woefully ignorant post.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

I will try to break the bad news, or good news to you, as gently as possible - do wake up.

Patronising much? No need for it, thanks.

There is a huge difference between absolute privacy and what we are now faced with. TPTB have warrant powers to this end and this is acceptable being it is narrowly targeted. Hell, even narrowly targeted wiretaps are acceptable. But this is over the odds and unnecessary. If you are after a murderer and have a general description you don't round up everyone in the world that fits it. That would be a waste of time. This is not about security for anybody but big business and the governments. If it were truly about national security, it's the equivalent of breaking a butterfly on a wheel.

FWIW, this entire issue is being completely ignored by ALL MSM in Australia. There was one article in one newspaper when it first broke but since then, on TV and in newspapers, for all intents and purposes it is not happening.

The vast majority of Australians are completely unaware that this is all unfolding. Our Opposition leader has publicly asked our PM to outline the impact it has on the privacy of Australians but this was reported in one newspaper yesterday and has since sunk without a trace. The PM isn't addressing it. It's a case of transmission silence. Besides we've had an asylum seeker (read: refugee) boat sink, killing at least 100 off our north coast and we're in the run up to an election, so lots to divert people with.

So, in short, in Australia it's a case of surveillance? What surveillance? I'd say a directive has gone out from the Government to the newspapers and TV stations to not address it and they are abiding by. It's worked. It's incredible actually.
edit on 8-6-2013 by Archie because: slashing and burning quoted text

new topics

top topics

join