It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Pick My Next Sermon or show what a jerk you are.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Corinth was a crazy church. Christians gone wild basically. Instead of having communion they were engaging in communal sex. They were getting together and getting drunk at the Lord's supper, and they were suing each other. It was a pretty crazy church morally for several years at first.

Right. A carry over of pagan traditions. The link that I provided in my earlier post, web.ovc.edu... addresses the drunkenness at the Lord's Supper, but the "fornication and prostitution" is discussed in others sections.

Lord's Supper

Drunkenness in the ancient world was sometimes considered a part of a religious rite, especially in the worship of Dionysus, who was considered the discoverer of wine (cf. Diodorus of Sicily, IV.3.4-5). It was the custom at a meal to greet undiluted wine with the words "To the good Deity [daimonoV]" and wine mixed with water with the words "To Zeus Saviour" (Diodorus of Sicily, IV.3.4). Diodorus mentions a second Dionysus, also called Sabazius, who was worshiped in secret, shameful night meetings (IV.4.1).

This worship involved, among other things, the consumption of wine, as shown by a passage at the beginning of Aristophanes's play Wasps. The play opens with a dialogue between two household slaves on watch at night. One of them attributes his sleepiness to having drunk wine with the words: "Nay, 'tis a sleep from great Sabazius holds me" (line 9). To be sure, drunkenness at religious ceremonies was not entirely condoned. In a fragment preserved from Menander's play The Peevish Man [DuskoloV], we find the condemnation: "Look at their mode of offering sacrifices, the burglars that they are. They bring couches and wine-jars, not for the god's sake but their own" (129K.1-3). But with this background connection between drunkenness and religion, one should not be entirely surprised to find the Corinthians getting drunk at the Lord's Supper.

Sorry Aquestion for going off topic, but as Jak said, thread conversations "flow."

edit on 9-6-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Dear NOTurTypical,

Thanks for being you. I was not at my best and you are right about what my intent was, I just didn't want to hear the endless garbage from people who I knew would just derail. I should have shown more restraint and patience instead I tried to see if I could avoid trolls and the fact is, they just come and I should of just ignored them.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear NOTurTypical,

Thanks for being you. I was not at my best and you are right about what my intent was, I just didn't want to hear the endless garbage from people who I knew would just derail. I should have shown more restraint and patience instead I tried to see if I could avoid trolls and the fact is, they just come and I should of just ignored them.

Dont apologize, thats my bread and butter, THE DRIFT FACTOR; realms revealed uncharted. Oh OOPS this is AQuestion's thread not mine....
edit on 9-6-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join