It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Pick My Next Sermon or show what a jerk you are.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by bloodreviara
I would preach on the lack of understanding surrounding the
recounting of Abrahams story as to god ordering him to kill
his own son, i believe that this story was actually intended to
test humanity and not in the obedience sense as is always
claimed, i believe god wanted to test our morality and that
we failed miserably, since then its all been man made, well
i guess i don't actually believe that since i don't think that
book was inspired by god at all but if i did believe that it would
be hard to see a god as both moral and willing to force
someone to murder their own child.

Dear bloodreiara,

Yeah, I have taught that one many times. He wanted to see if Abram understood that he was different than the God he thought existed and did not want anything back. I have given that sermon numerous times and it is a good one. Thanks for your input.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Originally posted by borntowatch

reply to post by borntowatch

Dear borntowatch,

I would suggest treating people with respect and not calling any one an idiot comes to mind. letting go of arrogance and self righteousness and loving others compassionately what ever they do. Dont think you are for real though, you shouldnt be in ministry.

Really, do you think it is better to tell idiots that they have understanding? Wow. You do not think that we should teach people that 1+1 equals 2? Are all answers correct? When does the truth be become arrogance when you have been asked a question and give your answer? As far as ministry, I never wanted to preach and beat up believers much harder than non-believers. I don't give a rats rearend what you believe, I am not your God or anyone elses. Believe what you will, now ask me a question and those I will answer and don't whine like a weasel if I have an answer. By the way, God called some of us asses, that refers to a type of horse.

Where did God call us asses
As I said, good luck

Dear incapable of reading the bible,

An ass does not just mean your rear end, it also refers to a type of donky. If you look it up you can find it. I really don't care if you believe in God, I have said this many times. It is not for me to prove to you what the bible teaches so why keep asking me questions if you don't care what it says? That is not very smart and seems to be a waste of your time unless you are willing to change your mind.

Thanks I know what an ass is, I am not from the US

the question still stands, I looked it up, couldnt find it.
Now good luck

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

That would be an Ecumenical matter!

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Lets begin with what you said. LMAO doesn't sound very christian. LMAO, why not? God called us asses and sheep, does that sound Christian or do not you understand what it really means to be a Christian? Should I have just called us asses as God did? Would that be more Christian? Please tell me how I can meet your bigoted conception of what I am supposed to be just because I believe in eternity and that God is loving.

Holy Moses, I had no idea God was a christian.

Which came first, the word or the son.

Oo

What have I done to the world, now... oO

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Already you have a bad idea. It isn't your job to "make them better Christians". That's the Holy Spirit's job.

If it were me I would preach on sacrifice and service to others, with Christ as the example, and and with the cross and the blood.
edit on 8-6-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by DISRAELI

Or maybe focus more on Jesus' teachings instead of Paul's? You do worship Jesus don't you?

So did Paul.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Help Me Pick My Next Sermon or show what a jerk you are

How very Christian.

Kinda reminds me of "You are either with us or against us".

This is ATS...many of us have "Thoughts and Opinions".

Peace

edit on 8-6-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

Sharing thoughts and opinions is great, dialogue is very important. But usually these threads are jerk-bait.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by sacgamer25

I'm not much for church because I disagree with them so much. But you make your church sound a little different than what I have experienced. I can't stand when the message stops at Grace, the place where the message is supposed to start.

Huh? If people don't realize their need why would they give a crap about God's remedy for that need??

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

That women talking in church is an abomination, it's right there in your book.

Teach those women they don't deserve to speak in church, I'd hate for them to go against god's word.

What a massive context fail.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by cody599

Dear 3NL1GHT3N3D1, LOL, you won the jerk contest

Very forgiving, very Christian

Maybe you could preach about patience and understanding, they say that you teach best, that which you most need to learn

Cody

edit on 8/6/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

You think that's bad?? You should read the Bible sometime. Jesus said MUCH worse to people mocking Him.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAK
Perhaps you might ask everyone to consider under what circumstances Jesus would have uttered the phrase:

Help Me ... or show what a jerk you are.

Amongst others cody599 offered you some good advice.

Jesus did call people lying hypocrites who's mothers had sex with Satan.

Seems OP was very kind in his choice of words compared.

Maybe you shouldn't point a finger of judgment from a position of ignorance?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Lets begin with what you said. LMAO doesn't sound very christian. LMAO, why not? God called us asses and sheep, does that sound Christian or do not you understand what it really means to be a Christian? Should I have just called us asses as God did? Would that be more Christian? Please tell me how I can meet your bigoted conception of what I am supposed to be just because I believe in eternity and that God is loving.

Holy Moses, I had no idea God was a christian.

Which came first, the word or the son.

Oo

What have I done to the world, now... oO

Both are eternal in nature. There is no such concept as "first" when speaking of infinity. That's a term relative to the 4th dimension.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

You think that's bad?? You should read the Bible sometime. Jesus said MUCH worse to people mocking Him.

I have

I prefer my fiction to come from a decent author

Maybe you should take your own advice
Cody

JAK

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Really, that's all you have? So there's no puerile, judgemental demand of 'Help Me ... or show what a jerk you are'?

Thanks for your advice, allow me to return the favour: Maybe you should stop trying to justify anything merely because it's in alignment with something you have a personal investment in and start being objective.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I would give a sermon on loving your neighbor,
and casting stones.

The world needs more of those kind of sermons,
IMO.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Dear davethebear,

To start a sentence with LMAO (laugh my ass/arse off) that doesn't sound very christian, church like, to me, well not from where I come from, my preacher dad would have not been happy if I had said that, that's for sure......even more confused by all this church stuff now..........
reply to post by davethebear

When you add LMAO, to a thread, the A in LMAO does not refer to a donkey, does it? We all know fair well that In every day slang terms the word ass means arse. So therefore, why do you keep on referring to the word ass in LMAO. as supposedly meaning donkey?

If you are standing at the front of the church preaching, would you actually say to your congregation, "Ooh, I laughed my ass off?" When every member of the congregation would know full well that you were referring to your arse/ass, and nothing to do with a donkey whatsoever.

If I was in a church and the preacher at the front came out with the phrase, laughed my ass/arse off, I think most people would be in shock having such language used within a church environment.

As for me believing whether you are a christian or not is insignificant, I don't really care. I respect your belief, but all I am saying that if you are a born again christian then you should hold yourself in a manner that is appropriate when conversing with others and use the appropriate language. This appropriate language should be used if you are out shopping, in the church and even on a social website such as ATS.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAK

Really, that's all you have? So there's no puerile, judgemental demand of 'Help Me ... or show what a jerk you are'?

Thanks for your advice, allow me to return the favour: Maybe you should stop trying to justify anything merely because it's in alignment with something you have a personal investment in and start being objective.

What am I justifying?? When the title was entered no one had yet posted here so there was no insult of anyone.

I wasn't justifying anything, but I was mocking the attempts to ridicule a Christian by claiming their use of the word "jerk" was somehow "unChristlike", when CHRIST Himself said considerable worse in the scriptures.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by cody599

I have

I prefer my fiction to come from a decent author

Maybe you should take your own advice
Cody

If you have read Christ's seething attacks at mockers then you realize how silly your attempt at ridicule was for using the word "jerk" towards no one in particular.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

How about 1 Corinthians 14:34-35? That one will win some people over I'm sure.

I wonder what Joyce Meyer makes of those verses…

- JC

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Give me suggestions on what might help them to be better Christians. Here is your chance to help write a sermon and I might ignore you all.

I’m not really sure what to say to you. If you’re a Christian, then you should already have at least an idea, as to how to become a better Christian. Sure, I can give you ideas, as to what to say in your sermon, but then that just wouldn’t be genuine, as it wouldn’t be coming from your heart… it just wouldn’t feel right…

If I was speaking, then I could talk about my own experiences, which led me to God, but then it becomes personal, and I know exactly what to say and need no rehearsals etc…

Like for example this testimony…

- JC

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join