It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Xbox by NSA partner Microsoft will watch you 24/7

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arnie123
Seriously, you can buy the new xbox without the Kinect. Xbox one is doing a promotion the first month I believe to have an xbox one with Kinect bundle for only 50 bucks more, that's one hell of a deal.
The sole purpose of the Kinect is to not spy on you people, its for intuitive gaming, I have the current Kinect and love playing it, zumba, sports and the whole like.
Yes, us small paranoid community will see it as, "OMG!!11 their watching us!!!111" but the 90% of the rest of society can give a crap. I don't either and I'm one with YOU GUYS.
I for one will buy the new XBOX ONE PLUS Kinect. I will play my games and enjoy it to the fullest extent. You may need an always on internet connection, sure, but you can always disable your Kinect if you want. Its not Microsoft that determined this, it is society...and that means YOU, yes your user post on ATS are a testament to that, some of your ATSers post every single day, from your smartphones to your work/home computers. Microsoft has seen that current generation society is connected no matter what, key word being, "Connected".
Soooo, what not? its not hurting me or depraving me of anything and I could care less about AD's. If you know yourself and are capable of doing the right things and taking preventive measures, then by all means, GAME AWAY.
I for one am ready for the next generation of titles these new systems will bring. I am a gamer at heart, since the olden days of precursor tech like Atari/intellevision to the first real console wars between the giants, Nintendo and Sega...the betrayals that lead to Sony's entrance with Playstation to Sega's demise and the great XBOX takeover with HALO that set the standard for Hardcore Console FPS and slowly fading prominence of Nintendo's stature as a top contender, These Next Gen systems will be the height of console technological progress and the Console machine Gods, XBOX and PLAYSTATION will do whats needed to garner the attention of the masses. This is one fight that I will not miss and for one will enjoy the slew of awesome titles headed our way.
I will post on ATS while waiting in line for the new XBOX ONE and PS4.
So chill out and relax with the whole we spy on you thing, just sell you Kinect, BAM! spying done.
I mean seriously, ATS collects information on you, its called stats. Your smartphone, car, computer, credit card purchases, everything. I thought you people would have figured that out already.

have you read ANYTHING about the Xbox one?

you cannot buy it without the kinect, the kinect is integrated into the xbox in such a way that at present, it will not function without it. and it also NEEDS an internet connection, which i'm sure will piss off a lot of people who don't have broadband service...

the Xbox one, as it is now, is a joke....TV? that's what your cable service provider gives you Digital STB's for...it's not a feature, it's another piece of flash that will most likely break 2 days after the warranty expires..

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by konig
reply to post by SpaceMonkeys

there are still great roadblocks in implementing that. the voice recognition is generally done on cloud and not on your local phone (or thats how it does in my Android) and still it is not even able to recognise the things i say to it due to my Indian Accent. Our technology is not that advanced to process this lot of info at once and also Algorithms are not fullproof enough to do the work. It still needs a few decades to reach that level. So what i am saying is we are safe for few years for now.

And if you don't think the NSA, etc has access to technology way ahead of what's available in the private sector, you've got a lot of reading to do....

i'd suggest you look into the subject...you'd be surprised what's out there..

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

Yea, your sounding more like a PS4 fanboy than anything.
Their are settings on the system that will allow you to disable most features on the connect, I don't have to read the specs sheet to determine that.
Yes the architectures of the systems are very similar an function too, either way the main difference is the GPU each one is gonna use.
Ill give you this, PS4 will not have any kind of ban on used games and will not have the need for an always on connection. I think microsoft is making a huge mistake on that part.
BUT! lets make one thing clear, THE XBOX WILL NOT BE SPYING ON YOU.
To suggest that is to say anybody who glances your way is SPYING on you....an I get enough of that from my wife because I just happened to look in the direction of some very pretty ladies....

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Their are settings on the system that will allow you to disable most features on the connect, I don't have to read the specs sheet to determine that.
Yes the architectures of the systems are very similar an function too, either way the main difference is the GPU each one is gonna use.
Ill give you this, PS4 will not have any kind of ban on used games and will not have the need for an always on connection. I think microsoft is making a huge mistake on that part.
To suggest that is to say anybody who glances your way is SPYING on you....an I get enough of that from my wife because I just happened to look in the direction of some very pretty ladies....

can't debate me, so you play the fanboy card...that's great...

for your information, i own a PS3, AND an X360...and because i'm fair, i got a wii as well...

i don't give a damn who's logo is on it, i go where the games are, and i go with what suits me....

unless the Kinect is physically disconnected, there is ALWAYS the possibility it could be used for purposes other than the ones it was, on paper, intended for.....

can you absolutely guarantee that it can't and won't be used for spying?...ever?

i'm not comfortable with a peripheral like that being forced on me, so i simply won't buy it....

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
If you buy one,
they have won!

Hmmm! I have dont ammeter theater.
we some times do rehearsals at home.

what play would be a good trigger to rehears in front of the spy box?
have sticks in the shap of guns to.
thats if you dont mind they braking down your door.
it would be good pruth.
( dam my spelling)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
The xboxlastone recognizes up to 6 peoples faces, it will know you by height facial recognition and weight. Why does it recognize so many people? That was my first question.

I have the xbox360 with the kinect. The kinect shows on the settings that it's shut off. I keep it unplugged because we are always loosing power out here and don't want a surge to mess up my game. I don't trust surge protectors either but have one on it. Every time I power up that xbox to play that kinect which is suppose to be not on starts looking around for you.

The other day I was reading on line about kyannonymous being raided by the fbi. They came into his place took his computers, his girlfriends computers, and his brothers xbox360. He said he didn't know why they took the xbox360. Perhaps the xbox360 with the kinect was the prototype for spying. There might be more to that xbox than we thought. Face it they spent all that money to develope the kinect for that system and then hardly put out any games worth playing for it.
edit on 11-6-2013 by napayshni57 because: my s was in the wrong place.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus

can't debate me, so you play the fanboy card...that's great...

for your information, i own a PS3, AND an X360...and because i'm fair, i got a wii as well...

i don't give a damn who's logo is on it, i go where the games are, and i go with what suits me....

unless the Kinect is physically disconnected, there is ALWAYS the possibility it could be used for purposes other than the ones it was, on paper, intended for.....

can you absolutely guarantee that it can't and won't be used for spying?...ever?

i'm not comfortable with a peripheral like that being forced on me, so i simply won't buy it....

Well when you right, your right.
I can see where you are going with this, I too have the same feeling that Kinect is being forced upon us for those buying the system, then again the PS4 will have its own "Eye" system.
I stand firm in knowing microsofts grand strategy, but also acknowledge that its a real ballsy one that will lead to its demise or elevate it higher.
The whole NSA thing going on in news recently doesn't exactly help XBOXone's position either with its always online system.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by napayshni57
The xboxlastone recognizes up to 6 peoples faces, it will know you by height facial recognition and weight. Why does it recognize so many people? That was my first question.

Perhaps new games coming out can have multiple people playing at once, kinda like a fusion frenzy setting. It being able to recognize multiple peoples a sudden raise of concern? seriously? take a step back and look at it from another perspective than the WHY, because the tone in that text clearly indicates some suspicion that it has DARKER MOTIVES....

I have the xbox360 with the kinect. The kinect shows on the settings that it's shut off. I keep it unplugged because we are always loosing power out here and don't want a surge to mess up my game. I don't trust surge protectors either but have one on it. Every time I power up that xbox to play that kinect which is suppose to be not on starts looking around for you.

I don't get it, you say its UNPLUGGED so it should be off...then when you turn on your system the Kinect turns on too??? whoa, you gotta tell me where to get THAT one, self powered Kinect, SWEET!!

The other day I was reading on line about kyannonymous being raided by the fbi. They came into his place took his computers, his girlfriends computers, and his brothers xbox360. He said he didn't know why they took the xbox360. Perhaps the xbox360 with the kinect was the prototype for spying. There might be more to that xbox than we thought. Face it they spent all that money to develope the kinect for that system and then hardly put out any games worth playing for it.
edit on 11-6-2013 by napayshni57 because: my s was in the wrong place.

Don't know what to say about that...interesting why he would only inquire about the 360 but not the computers...sounds like he must have been doing some shady stuff for that to happen.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I also like the fact that previous posters think people are hired to spy on people 24/7

There are something like 19 intelligence agencies in the federal government and they use computers but you think no one has the time to monitor anyone? You must be delusional.

This is seriously worrisome and I will definitely not be buying the new xbox after reading this.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Well when you right, your right.
I can see where you are going with this, I too have the same feeling that Kinect is being forced upon us for those buying the system, then again the PS4 will have its own "Eye" system.
I stand firm in knowing microsofts grand strategy, but also acknowledge that its a real ballsy one that will lead to its demise or elevate it higher.
The whole NSA thing going on in news recently doesn't exactly help XBOXone's position either with its always online system.

well, thank you...

i fully expected you to tell me to go f**k myself, lol

it's nice to see some people can still have a conversation..

anyway, yeah, the PSeye...i have one for the PS3, but i never used it for anything other than video chat with PSN buddies...when not in use, it was unplugged. come to think of it, i haven't plugged it into my system in a couple of years, actually...but i digress..

the NEW PSeye isn't bundled with the system (as far as i know), and it isn't a mandatory peripheral...

for this round, the PS4 is looking like the clear winner, and that's a goddamn shame, because i love me some Forza

But it's kinda ok, i guess....there's gonna be GT6, Drive Club, and The Crew...and they'll all be on PS4, so i won't be short of quality driving games...

between Windows 8, working with the NSA, and XOne, microsoft is f**kin' UP!
edit on 12-6-2013 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I don't get it, you say its UNPLUGGED so it should be off...then when you turn on your system the Kinect turns on too??? whoa, you gotta tell me where to get THAT one, self powered Kinect, SWEET!!

yeah, he sucks at english...

what he was TRYING to say is that he ended up unplugging the kinect from the xbox, because even when he had it set to off in the settings, it would still "look for him" when the xbox powered up...and i think the camera movements at start up are probably just a self-diagnostic, to make sure all the servos are functional...

in any event, i'm pretty sure that's what he was on about, lol
edit on 12-6-2013 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

They 360 kinect had games with more than one player. You had to be so close to the kinect, to far away or to close up it wouldn't be able to find you. I take it you don't have the kinect? If so you would know these things. So adding 2 more people for it to recognize would mean that it has evolved to be able to scan a bigger area or at any distance.

Please reread paragraph. I unplug the xbox when not in use. So the Kinect would have no power to it at that time. The xbox has settings that are suppose to disable the kinect. Apparently they do not totally disable it.

Of course he knows whats on the computers. So why would he question them taking computers. I would also question them taking a machine that is used for games.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that sucks at english. At least I can tell male from female though lol

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Times are a gettin mighty creepy. One of many clear examples of late of how the government has been taken over by multi-national corporations. Maybe the NSA is just a front for Microsoft or Google? Maybe Bill Gates is really pulling the strings? Isn't it interesting to know that most of all of the conspiracy theories that we have all toyed with over the years are actually not conspiracy after all, but truth? Wear your tin foil hat with pride my fellow conspiracy afficianado's!

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that sucks at english. At least I can tell male from female though lol

snarky....

i'm so used to processing incorrect english, that i can usually make sense of it....i'm not trying to insult you, i'm just pointing out that your english is not good -shrug-

and since i have no way to tell gender online, that point is moot....i don't give a crap about gender online anyway, all that matters is the words..

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

reply to post by Arnie123

They 360 kinect had games with more than one player. You had to be so close to the kinect, to far away or to close up it wouldn't be able to find you. I take it you don't have the kinect? If so you would know these things. So adding 2 more people for it to recognize would mean that it has evolved to be able to scan a bigger area or at any distance.

Yes I do have a Kinect, I sit very close to it and it still works to specification. "...adding 2 more people for it recognize would mean it has evolved to be able to scan a bigger area or at any distance." YES, you hit it on the nail, that's not speculation, its fact and it can do way more then just scan bigger areas and varied distances, the little system is capable of sooo much more then what miniscule use you stated. The current gen Kinect is still rough in a technological sense, but this new one, pffffffffff....

Please reread paragraph. I unplug the xbox when not in use. So the Kinect would have no power to it at that time. The xbox has settings that are suppose to disable the kinect. Apparently they do not totally disable it.

I did re-read it and even more so, it still doesn't compensate for what you were really trying to convey. I mean no harm, but like D said, its probably a self diagnostic. I turn off the MIC because it kept doing things whenever my living room TV was loud and the system would mistaken me for it. The new system will not have that problem.

Of course he knows whats on the computers. So why would he question them taking computers. I would also question them taking a machine that is used for games.

True that it is used for games, but for Modders, the system is quite capable of doing other things. I use to work with old buddies back in texas and all they did was MOD xboxs all day, in a sense its a PC, just dedicated to gaming, change up the OS and BIOS an a couple of your own updates and scripts and you got yourself a low end PC. You never really know about people these days....especially the user that got raided by the FBI.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Well, honestly I can tell you this much, after talking to a bunch of folks, the vast majority of them are saying PS4 is going to win this round.
It really all boils down to the whole connectivity issue, being online 24hrs out the day with a Kinect is a very scary thought as you don't know who is watching you. I doubt nothing of the sort will happen unless you have been tapped specifically for reason known.
I for one will still buy both system, I love halo and I will get my halo 5 fix no matter what. Killzone is next on PS4 and of course the next elder scrolls game is a definite buy.
Sorry Microsoft, I think you really messed up with this, I can see it now, they are going to try an fix this issue later in the year when product is not selling and are going to realize they screwed up, too late to fix me thinks.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I know someone who worked on the new Kinect for Xbox One. This was a pretty disturbing (although not surprising comment he made):

"Let me just say that when I was able to hack the kinect and turn it on without activating the led light that it was being used... Internally MSFT had a $#1t storm over my bug. It got fixed very fast"

I'm confident that isn't the only exploit that can be used on the Kinect. When I asked him his thoughts on this post (see below) someone made on gamesindustry.biz, his response was, "No comment. If you want to watch tv with someone else watching you, go right ahead. My Kinect is "blind" most of the time I'm not actively using it for what I want".

"Of course Microsoft intends to reach the mass market with this machine but none of that is really about having more Xbox One out there than Playstation 4 or Apple Tv.

You have to relate everything they said with the presence of Kinect and the fact it has to be always on and the fact that the console has to be always connected. The main purpose of this is DATA : Kinect scans or the programs you watch or the people you chat with on Skype, all of that will bring data. And that's where they want to make money through Xbox One, the same way as Facebook, the same as Google.

If they sell 10 or 20 millions less machines than any of their competitors, it's not how they'll measure success or fail. It's about how meaningful the data they pull out can be : Tv ratings more precise than ever, what ads really catch your attention, how many persons are in the room, male/female, can we identify the unknown person that is with you in the room based on your recent Skype communications, are you single, kids around, etc ?

This is where they want to be 10 years from now. And for gaming. It's very independent from that (except for some of the resources). They believe they will be successul enough in the industry whatever happens and even if they're far behind the Ps4 (considering the Xbox One could never be released in Japan or in 2015-2016 minimum)."

edit on 13-6-2013 by kiwasabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
kotaku.com...

A patent filed by Microsoft last year, but only made public last week, wants to turn your Xbox 360's Kinect into an instrument via which large companies can monitor your media usage and, if you're found to be in violation of something, charge you for it.

And no, I am not making that up.

The patent application, titled "CONTENT DISTRIBUTION REGULATION BY VIEWING USER", is a means of using Kinect to monitor not just what you're watching (or listening to) on your Kinect, but more importantly, how many people.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by sandman441

Hence the "no comment" response from my *cough* sellout *cough* friend at Microsoft.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join