It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to: Auto-refresh the Recent Posts page on ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Not sure about any other members but in my 3 year stent here on ATS my favorite page is the Recent Posts page. I have too broad of a liking of all the available forums on ATS to hang out in any one particular forum.

That said, and in the earlier part of my membership I loved watching the fluidity of the Recent Posts and all of the fascinating topics that were being replied to at any given time. The burden however is that I needed to refresh the page rather frequently to see recent posts. The volume thereof at peak usage times would require frequent refreshes to keep abreast of varying posts and the information that was added to the threads.

So I explored and discovered that most browsers have "refresh" add-ons. So with that discovery I can say that my Recent Post page is near real-time in regards to threads receiving posts.

Currently I use Google Chrome as my browser and the favorite add-on I use to refresh the page is called Chrome Refresh.

I made a short little YouTube video showing an example of this add-on in action (no audio).

If there is a thread that interests you, you can right click the thread title and select open in new tab or window as to not compromise the Recent Posts page tab that is being refreshed.

Might just be me, but I thought I would throw it out there for any others that like to loiter on the Recent Posts page. This example is for Chrome (not mobile version, but Dolphin mobile browser has an add-on with this function). I believe that most browsers have a similar add-on that will produce the same results.
edit on 6/7/2013 by UberL33t because: added (no audio)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Cool, I'll have to check that out.

Personally, I'm a fan of the New Topics page. You get to see every thread that gets posted, and if I don't get the opportunity to look at it regularly, I'll got to the New Topic Fire-hose page.

Life would be so much easier if ATS wasn't blocked from the computers at work. But I make do with my phone.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

If just for the sake of mentioning and by no means to discount your New Topics preference, the Recent Posts shows new threads to appease your taste as well as new posts in older threads.

Although I do get the appeal of watching New Topics that get created.
edit on 6/7/2013 by UberL33t because: GPS

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Does that feature work to also auto refresh a page in a thread?

At the very bottom of the "Forums" page the names and number of users on ATS right now is displayed.

Does anyone know how to tell where the most of them are at any given time?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Yes, it will auto-refresh as many tabs that you start it on. For example you could have the "Forums" page/tab reload at a 5 minute interval and say the Recent Posts page/tab refreshing @ 15 seconds and so on for each open tab.

I have never tested to see how many tabs you could have refreshing at once but I have had 2 separate pages/tabs refreshing at separate intervals before...I am sure one could most likely refresh more than that at one time.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

I have never tested to see how many tabs you could have refreshing at once but I have had 2 separate pages/tabs refreshing at separate intervals before

Thanks, thats what I want. Split a screen up and be diggin on one while waiting for replies on another. Now, If I can just figure out where every one is...

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Does anyone know how to tell where the most of them are at any given time?

By where they are...do you mean like what thread they're in at any given time? I usually just u2u the person if I see they are online...but I saw Heff (I think it was him) once say that he can leave ATS open but may not actually be physically on so to speak so a u2u wouldn't necessarily mean one would get an immediate reply.

If that was what you meant that is LoL.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

I should leave that hanging so I funny. But no...

Remember the "Trending Page"? It had a bug so they pulled it. Like that. Which thread the most people are on right now kind of thing.

Sometimes I stumble around in quiet alleyways looking for action. Only to log on the next day and realize I missed a bitchin' thread.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Ohhhh gotcha...well in my observations over the years...when I am refreshing the Recent Posts I can tell threads that are busy because they keep returning to the top...meaning members are continuously posting returning it to the top of the Recent Posts. In that regard it's pretty easy to pick out the hot topic threads.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Thanks again. I will need to consider a chrome future, I guess. Been putting it off.

regards,

intrptr

top topics

join